Help With Frankenstein!!!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Mok, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

My brother and I have been trying desperately(for years now) to find a Frankenstein film he saw on TV as a kid. He remembers a really elaborate lightning/reanimation scene where the monster was all bandaged up, and seeminly eating the lightning as it encircled his body. Also at the end of the film, there was a preview for the next enstallment which featured the characters in the arctic setting. I'm not sure if this was a TV show, or if it was a film split into segments. We've gone though the following with no success:

- Universal's Frankenstein Collection
    - Curse of Frankenstein
    - Revenge of Frankenstein
    - Evil of Frankenstein

Any ideas guys? Any guesses are welcome.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think that's Frankenstein from 1994 starring Kenneth Branagh.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

4. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Thanks you guys - I should have mentioned that my brother saw it back in the day of B+W television(which sucks because we don't know if the film was B+W or not), so the newer films are out. But thank you so much for replying to this. It's been plaguing us for a while now.

I'm going to check into this: Frankenstein: The True Story (1972) since that is around the time when he would have been a kid.

6. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

If you read the plot summary to Frankenstein unbound it does mention an arctic setting:

Plot Summary for
    Frankenstein Unbound (1990)
    The ultimate weapon which was meant to be safe for the mankind produces global side effects including time slides and disappearances. The scientist behind the project and his car are zapped from the year 2031 to 1817's Switzerland where he finds Dr Victor Frankenstein and his contemporaries.

I've never seen the movie, but I do remember the video box art from when I was young.

edit: I guess Switzerland isn't really Arctic, nevermind. Hey, Michael Hutchence is in it, right on! :evil:

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yeah, I was gonna say that one looked interesting none the less. Thanks Tawny. I think I'm also going to check out The Horror of Frankenstein with Darth Vader(Peter Strouse) as the monster. This site which dwatts recommended(fuckin' rocks for plot summaries and screenshots) said it was the best of the Hammer films:
    http://members.aon.at/frankenstein/frankenstein-start.htm
    Thank you dwatts!!!
    By the way have you guys seen Horror of Frankenstein?

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Have I seen a Hammer Frankenstein movie? :D

Frankenstein Created Woman

Excellent film. Tragic as the wealthy punish the poor, and restoration of beauty can't fix a broken heart.

The Revenge of Frankenstein

Excellent film. There's not much use of make-up for effect, instead the guy playing the monster is a tragic figure, who's previous destiny cuts through a new body.

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

Excellent film. Nice release from WB too. Once again, the baron fails to take emotion into account - the body is just functional to him, and is often his downfall.

The Curse of Frankenstein

The first, arguable the best.

The Horror of Frankenstein

Pretty darn good, but it's essentially a remake of the first film with different actors. No Cushing in this one, which doesn't help. Sorry, Prowse does nothing for me as the monster. Maybe it's because I knew him from TV at the time as a sportsman, and I know he really was as stupid as he looks in this film. Bates is good, but you can't compete with Cushing. Lot of humor in this one too.

Frankenstein and the Monster from from Hell

Excellent film. The last one, and some hate it. It's cut status on DVD doesn't help. As a film though, I really enjoy it.

I thnk that's what we have on DVD :)

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I thought these two were the same no?

Oh shit - my bad - they put two films on the same page in that site! By the way what did you think of Evil of FRankenstein?

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'm holding off opinions on Evil of Frankenstein - it's been a while since I've seen it, and some bastard executive has faild to push it to the top of the release schedule.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I really enjoyed it when I saw it a while ago - I'm with you on wanting the DVD to come out.

12. Morg

Morg Guest

Just bought Frankenstein and the Monster from from Hell and looking forward to seeing it. My first "Frankenstein" Hammer movie. I also remember Frankenstein: The true story (The the original 240 minute version) and although it was years ago, I loved that movie. Very well done, and James Mason was excellent as Dr. John Polidori. Michael Sarazzin was pretty incredible as the creature too. I understand there may be different versions floating around out there as there was a cut version re-released on TV running at about 2 hours (that means approximately 2 hours cut out!)FYI...

13. hatetank

hatetank Guest

Oh my, hey thanks for the praise! :D :D It's actually my site and I'm close to blushing for that one... ;)
    By the way, the new German R2 of Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell is actually uncut.... well almost. One scene is missing 40 frames according to some of the guys who released. At least it has the artery+teeth scene intact and fully restored, which was missing from the UK and US DVDs. But I'll try to get more info on that.

14. hatetank

hatetank Guest

Was me who did it - only because Horror of F is so shite I didn't want it to have its own page ;)

15. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Sounds like Frankenstein:The True Story to me, I still have this on VHS-James Mason and Jane Seymour starred in this. I remember Polidori (Mason) being murdered by the monster by hanging if I remember correctly. There were also those weird scenes with the re-animated arm. A good, but lenghty adaptation.

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

It is Frankenstein: The True Story, because the film ends with a scene in the Arctic. Does your brother remember the last part of the film taking place aboard a boat?

There's also a classic ballroom sequence where the monster tears off the head of his bride in front of all the party guests. :D

Oh and it was pretty unique, because the monster started off very handsome, but got uglier as the film progressed. I really enjoyed it when it was on AMC a couple years ago, even if it is a bit overly long.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2004
  17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Dudes, thanks for the info!!!

"Does your brother remember the last part of the film taking place aboard a boat?"

My brother remembers the film/episode he saw ending with a preview of the next enstallment, set in the arctic, but he never actually sw the next episode. I think this may be the one though since it is from the 70's and he would have been a kid then.

hatetank: Yeah man, wicked site - I've bookmarked it. In trying to hunt this film down I've become quite a Frankenstein fanatic and I found your site really informative and easy to navagate. By the way, I'm going to try and hunt down Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell since you said it was the best.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Actually though, it's not the only film to end in the artic - Branagh's movie does too.

--Oh and it was pretty unique, because the monster started off very handsome, but got uglier as the film progressed.--

Hm, this has been done before.

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yeah, I know, but that one came out more recently. My brother saw this thing back in the 70's. What did you think of the Branagh version? I really didn't like it all that much. I know it was a truer telling of the story, but I really didn't like the book when I read it(there should be a drinking game based on the appearance of the word "melancholy" in that book). I did like the opening in the Arctic, and some of the sets were cool, but I find Keneth Branagh tends to over-act.

20. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

I got a decent VHS to DVD of the full length version of FRANKENSTEIN THE TRUE STORY if anyone is interested just PM me.

It is a shame that it was never officially released on video (other than the VHS release which is a MUCH shorter version).

This is probably one of the best adaptations of FRANKENSTEIN.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman