Help with movie title

Discussion in 'General' started by sinister, Oct 9, 2018.

1. sinister

sinister Active Member

This one is probably more thriller than horror but I've never seen a better place for guessing movie titles from little info. so maybe you guys can crack this one too.

It's basically a man-hunt movie from the 70's (could possibly be late 60's or early 80's) , I saw it on TV sometime in the 90's. The main character is a guy who has been infected or is carrying some kind of infectious disease or bacteria, not sure if it's just a regular disease or some kind of bio-weapon, but he's showing flu like symptoms and sweating a lot. The authorities are tracking him down and there are a lot of scenes in the control room where the search is being coordinated from, mixed with scenes of the guy on the run through a city, on trains, in hotel rooms etc.

I think it had 1 or 2 reasonably well known actors in it, is set in the US or Canada, had a decent budget so had good production values and is in the style of the usual 70's doomsday type disaster movie.

When I saw "The Satan Bug" was out on Blu-ray I thought that was it and ordered it without checking the plot too closely, but now that I've watched that I know it's not that one after all.

Have spent hours looking through lists of 70's horror and thriller movies and not come up with anything, so any suggestions would be welcome.

It's not "The Cassandra Crossing".

Thanks!

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Throw a couple of quick guesses out there to get the ball rolling. Could help with eliminating some films too.

The Omega Man (1971)

The Andromeda Strain (1971)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. sinister

sinister Active Member

Definitely neither of those, but thanks for the suggestions.

The setting is a normal, contemporary (for the time in the 70's) city and police type control room.

I think there was some sort of deadline relating to the guy and infection, like maybe it would only spread when he died or something like that. Predictably they found him and neutralised whatever the threat was just in time at the end of the movie.

4. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Warning Sign (1985) No one is being pursued, but it does concern a viral outbreak.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

This sounds an awful lot like 1978's Plague (aka M-3: The Gemini Strain), a very obscure low-budget Canadian film directed by Ed Hunt (Bloody Birthday, The Brain) if memory serves me right. I caught it back in 2011, and seem to remember a lot of control room type stuff, and the single person on the run definitely fits. The synopsis on IMDb seems to also match up to quite a few of your points so could be it: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078088/

6. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Is it The Missing are Deadly from 1974?

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Was gonna say that too. But there really no guy running around the city stuff. Only thing close it's a woman being chased on a subway. That's really it. But yes, tons of scenes back at the lab.

8. sinister

sinister Active Member

Thanks for the further suggestions.

I'd already spotted Warning Sign and Virus on the 70's movie lists I'd been looking through and thought they sounded possible too, but on checking them out further neither were the movie I was thinking of.

The Missing are deadly I hadn't considered yet but it's not that one either.

I don't remember much if even anything at all of guys in white suits and lab type stuff in the movie I'm thinking of, so now I'm wondering if maybe the main characters medical condition (fly type symptoms, heavy sweating etc.) isn't actually the reason for the search/pursuit, but it's about some item he's got or something he's trying to do.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's a color movie, the plotline sounds a lot like PANIC IN THE STREETS but that is an older black and white film ? There were also multiple TV series episodes in the 60's-80's that used this same basic set-up, especially police type shows.

10. sinister

sinister Active Member

I thought it was in colour but it's possible it was an older black + white movie, yeah. Extending the search back to the 50's I found "City of Fear (1959)" - "A vicious killer escapes from San Quentin with a cannister of what he believes to be heroin but is actually a radioactive substance that threatens all Los Angeles." , sounds promising so will check that out, or maybe there was a later remake of that or other movie with a similar story.

Thanks. :)

Erick H. likes this.
  11. sinister

sinister Active Member

Well it wasn't City of Fear, although the story is quite similar. In the movie I'm looking for I think the guy being hunted is probably carrying an item that's making him sick, maybe 'cause it's radioactive, although it may be an infection of some kind. Either way he's getting weaker and more ill looking throughout the movie. Sounds like a 70's remake of City of Fear but I can't find any reference to that.

12. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Panic in the city from 68 with howard duff?