Hereditary

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

The latest horror film for A24 studios. I've been hearing only positive things about this one, so count me in.

Synopsis
    The Graham family starts to unravel following the death of their reclusive grandmother. Even after she's gone, the matriarch still casts a dark shadow over the family, especially her loner teenage granddaughter, Charlie, whom she always had an unusual fascination with. As an overwhelming terror takes over their household, their peaceful existence is ripped apart, forcing their mother to explore a darker realm in order to escape the unfortunate fate they've inherited.

It's set to be released theatrically June 8th.

[​IMG]

Workshed, zbinks and Natas like this.
  2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Wow......... that trailer is amazing. I appreciate the link, REALLY looking forward to this.

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Looks good, the child freaked me out quite a bit!

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This has been all the buzz at Sundance.

I don't even need to watch the trailer. I was sold at A24, Toni Collette and Ann Dowd are just icing on the cake.

zbinks likes this.
  5. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Just saw the same filmmaker's short The Strange Thing About the Johnsons over at YouTube. ( ............................................................................................. ). That long space back there is my speechlessness. I'm gonna go look at pictures of the Goats of Anarchy until this wears off.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The trailer doesn't do anything for me, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I won't be overestimating it. And I appreciate that it doesn't go into too much detail like a lot of trailers do nowadays.

7. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

all these trailers are all the same. with that music and quick scares,,

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

New Poster.

[​IMG]

9. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

New trailer, and it has me more hyped!

Workshed likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

I've been doing my best to avoid the trailers, as I'm already more than sold. But it's a little difficult when it's attached to A Quiet Place, Truth Or Dare, etc. So yeah, I've seen the trailer (the old one anyway) and I LOVE what I've seen.

This should easily be the highlight of the summer movie season.

11. CPT HOOK

Is it Friday yet?

Colin likes this.
  12. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I was checking IMDB and saw an image of Toni Collette that said the movie was the scariest of the year or something like that. I added it to my list without watching the trailer. I hope it's good.

13. CPT HOOK

Seeing this in one hour!

14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm most likely going to see this at noon tomorrow. I've been kind of hesitant going to movie theaters lately after my Rampage freak out a couple of months ago, but I want to see this now before the internet ruins it for me by spoiling scenes or by overhyping it It Follows style to where I finally see it and think "that's it?"

I guess this would be a good movie for my first visit to the new Raleigh Alamo Drafthouse. It's about 15 minutes more of a drive than my usual theater, but I figure the crowd will be much better. Plus, that Video Vortex store is there, so that should be cool.

Workshed and Natas like this.
  15. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

That looks amazing!

16. CPT HOOK

This will definitely be one of those polarizing horror films like A24's other wide releases It Comes At Night and The Witch. I'm kind of surprised they're going wide theatrical with it as it's about as non-mainstream as horror gets. I feel like there's going to be a lot of pissed off audiences who were expecting the new Insidious or Conjuring (which I preferred Hereditary myself, as those movies aren't really my thing).

I'm honestly not sure how I felt about it yet, but I'm leaning towards I loved it? It's a two hour movie, and while the first hour is incredibly slow, it pays off with a totally batshit crazy and fantastic final hour. But even during the slow half, it quickly establishes itself as a movie where I had no idea where it was going or what would happen next.

I would say don't buy into the hype and try it. Doesn't mean you'll like it. It's pretty damn weird. But I think we're going to see a lot of reactions like The Babadook or It Comes At Night where some love it and some hate it. It's not an easy movie.

Yet love it or hate it, it's exactly the type of movie we as horror fans should support. Especially those of us who crave originality and new voices in the genre.

fceurich39, m@ggot, Kim Bruun and 6 others like this.
  17. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Really appreciate your feedback, dude! Can't wait to catch this.

18. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yeah, regular people are going to hate this movie. As for me, I don't know yet. I loved some parts of it, but the movie lost me hard at the very end. I mean, I understood it (though keep in mind, I'm an idiot), I just didn't like the direction it took in the last few minutes and I honestly thought it was a bit silly. I liked it overall though, there's an odd atmosphere throughout the whole movie, the acting is good - though Toni goes a bit too over the top at times, and the son is an absolutely awful crier, and there are a couple of tremendously gruesome effects that certainly shut up the couple of people in the theater giggling during the girl's tongue clicking scenes early in the movie.

19. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Well that will make for an odd expectation.

It Comes At Night - found it barely worth watching, purged it soon after
    The Witch - solid film, if a "morally correct" ending is something you aren't hung up about
    The Babadook - excellent film, gave it a very high rating in the October marathon in '16

So I guess Hereditary is a film I'll love, hate, and go 'meh' over.

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I found the film to be incredibly dull and slow paced. I'll give it some kudos as the trailer didn't give away anything of the main plot. As for the R rating it easily could have been PG-13 if some very unnecessary nudity and a relatively brief gore effect were removed. There were only a few main characters and I found them all to be very unlikable. The one character I did like was killed off pretty early on. Overall very disappointing with virtually no scares.