Hereditary

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'm actually just going to say - not bad for a first feature. But, this is really over-hyped. The story is well done and original. The performances are solid to excellent. It is certainly a very "adult" film that relies far more on character and atmosphere. It's definitely in the same wheelhouse as the other A24 horror films that I have seen and I will say that I appreciate the niche that they seem to be carving out for themselves. But, there are certainly a number of recent films that I thought were far scarier and far more original in their artistry. And many of them are other A24 films. Unfortunately, I was just expecting more. The word "traumatic" kept popping up in the early festival buzz and I have to say that this really isn't that. It's not a game changer the way films like "Rosemary's Baby" and the "Exorcist" were. And, while it is well done, I can't say that it was as unique as "The Vvitch", "It Follows", "We Need to Talk About Kevin", or even "Under the Skin". And I would say it certainly isn't as "traumatic" as the end of "The Conjuring", "mother" or "Neon Demon". The film it actually reminded me the most of if "Don't Look Now". And I think that's a masterpiece, so this one falls short there. But the way "Hereditary" examines grief does come close at times. However, it's nowhere near as raw.

A quick note on the characters - I did find them "likeable", but we are seeing them start at a pretty low point. So, they aren't exactly engaging We don't really get to see them before tragedy strikes. So, it's hard to imaging what sort of life we are rooting for them to get back to. But, I did think that they were very original characters and watching the different ways that they are handling the death at the beginning of the film was interesting.

Had this come out years ago, I probably would have been more impressed. But considering the great slate of "art-horror" films that have come before it, I just can't get as excited as the reviewers seem to be. Is it good? Definitely. Is it worth watching? Yeah, particularly if the recent batch of art-horror films has been tickling your fancy. Is it thought provoking? Yeah, it definitely has some things to say about family and grief and there's a nice enigmatic style to the story telling. Is it better than any of the films that I have named so far? Not by a long shot.

All in all, it was a decent film. I'm enjoyed watching it and I'm glad I did. What it ended up making me think of the most was that second wave of J-horror. It's good but it's riding in wake of a lot of far better films.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    chancetx likes this.
  2. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Hold the hype. What we have here is an attempt to make a serious drama out of a horror story which is a hard trick to pull off. The runtime of 2:06 had me worried and I was right - the movie is overstuffed and too drawn out. There are good scenes but the script lacks cohesion. The first half is a family drama with one shocking scene that I can safely say I have never seen before. The shocks pick up but I personally did not find it scary.

I much preferred Babadook, The Witch and It Comes At Night.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Been avoiding everything on this one until I saw it myself, but seems I may have enjoyed it a lot more than most here as I thought it was thoroughly tense and unnerving. And while I did love it it's definitely not a perfect film as I felt it was a bit more mainstream in it's story structure rather than arthouse like I was expecting and it's also not the "scariest" or most "traumatic" movie ever like the trailers say (but when are trailer pull quotes ever 100% accurate seeing as they are other people's opinions? Also fear/horror is subjective) but it definitely and successfully creates and reaches a crescendo of constant dread, and I'm sure it'll linger in my mind for more than a few days after. As a film about grief, family manipulation, and other more sinister things I thought it was extremely well-crafted and executed, especially for a first feature. The production design and direction was highly focused to the mood of the film, and the miniatures tied in quite well as both a story element and a cinematic element. I thought performances were great, and especially thought David Byrnes's father character was exceptionally subtle and nuanced even though he's got the least screen time overall. And as to it not being perfect that's mainly because I found it not wholly original as I felt it owed more than a few themes and creepy moments to
    Exorcist III
    but repurposed for the story it's telling it's still a notch up on the cerebral horror that has been severely lacking in mainstream cinema. I've been a huge fan of A24's output and this is definitely another hit if you ask me, though maybe not as impactful on first viewing as The Witch or It Comes at Night, but I feel Hereditary may definitely be something I revisit more often than those. Oh, and that scene where
    Toni Collette saws her own head off with the piano wire
    is definitely a searing image I won't forget soon.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    chancetx and Colin like this.
  4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Well, they did say 'fuck' more than twice in the movie so that's an automatic US of A R rating. Haha. Also, the nudity was not unnecessary as historically
    coven/cult rituals were performed in the nude or 'skyclad' as it's actually called, according to historical texts, interpretations, and drawings.
    Unnecessary nudity is most nudity in any movie when it's used to titillate.

Workshed and chancetx like this.
  5. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

This one is growing on me. I found it to be good but not great at first, but I'm still thinking about it several days later. There are flaws for sure, but the more I think about it the more I like it. I think this is much better compared to other recent "great" horror films like It Follows or Get Out.

Colin likes this.
  6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yeah its definitely one to ponder for a while after, I still have not raised my score for it though, about a 6/10 from me. A stylishly directed, well acted (by Toni Collette) arthouse conujuring meets rosemarys baby.
    As far as less mainstream horrors of the last few years, I vastly prefer The VVitch or It Comes at Night.

7. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Finally saw this tonight and really liked it. I thought I had it figured out from the trailer and even kept thinking I was right through most of the movie but was completely wrong in the end. In some respects I feel like the ending was unearned but I also really want to go back and rewatch because there are so many clues dropped throughout that I might change my mind about that. The acting, set design and cinematography are all outstanding. I really didn't care for It Comes At Night but I'd rank Hereditary equal to The VVitch, The Babadook and It Follows.

And surprisingly, the theater was nearly full at 10pm on a Wednesday nearly 2 weeks after its release. Glad that mixed word of mouth hasn't killed the box office.

8. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Kim Bruun likes this.
  9. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Just saw this one. Thursday Matinee all to myself which I like!

I thought the film was great. Very tense and full of dread. Contains the most shocking scene in recent memory and greatly acted.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  10. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Perhaps you may have asked youself on occasion, "Self, what would it be like if Ordinary People had been made by Lucio Fulci?" If you have, your answer has arrived.

m@ggot and chancetx like this.
  11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

That's true, my mate and I chuckled a bit about that as well.

Other than that, I thought it was brilliant - after watching the trailer, I was expecting yet another post-Insidious supernatural horror movie with the added gimmick of exploiting the unusual physical appearance of one of the actors.

However, the raw immersion into mental illness, psychological trauma, and grief packs hits where it hurts, and then the movie blindsides you with a crazy finale. My first reaction was that the finale was completely out left field, but when you rewind the movie in your head, it's actually carefully constructed, with many clues along the way. I definitely needed to let it sink in to fully appreciate it. The sheer visceral experience was satisfying as well - I found myself covering my eyes more than once, and my mate, who usually doesn't care for horror movies, found it chilling.

Oh, and "it's a neutral view of the accident" - loved that scene! So dysfunctional, and even more shocking because the line is delivered with such utter calmness.

Workshed likes this.
  12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Agreed with everything Kim Bruun said. I loved it.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I quite enjoyed it. It reminded me of a number of old favorites,but in a good way. Strong cast, great cinematography and sets. The musical undertones reminded me of THE SHINING.

14. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

A decent little debate about Hereditary. For those that don't know Mark Kermode has been huge champion of William Peter Blatty and was a driving force behind the recent "Legion" cut.

I think Kermode is harsher on the film than I have been. But he still makes some solid points. And the other guy brings in some good defensive arguments.

All said, I do think it's neat that people are still discussing this film so long after its release. While I may have been less impressed in my initial viewing, I gotta give some props that the film certainly seems to have struck a solid chord with the populace.

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Comes out on bluray tomorrow!

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I also enjoyed this one. It was slow burn and I kept thinking that there better be a pay-off at the end as I wasn't sure if it was going anywhere. Well there definitely was, and a surprising one at that. The movie was also pretty unsettling the whole way through. Especially after a certain shock death and an awesome display of grief that I can't say I've seen captured anywhere else. What a powerful moment.

Workshed likes this.