Hereditary

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Wow, I need to find this one. It has Diane Ladd, Jonathan Frid, and Joseph Cotton.

Erick H. likes this.
  2. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

...and from the director of Jaws 2 and many episodes of Night Gallery...from what I remember (I watched it a few years ago) it had a very Night Gallery-esque feel to it...It's available on youtube for free:

Myron Breck and Erick H. like this.
  3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Good call, man. I hit up my best buy last night and scored this for 7.99, Super Troopers 2 for 3.99.......yes, blu ray-dvd combo for 3.99! And A Quiet Place for 9.99. I was pumped.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Sometimes it pays to wait! :)

I already had Super Troopers 2 and A Quiet Place, but I grabbed Hereditary, Ready Player One $5.99, Death Wish $5.99, The First Purge $9.99, and then ran to Target for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Deadpool 2 (JW rang up $25 at BB despite being advertised as $9.99, and Target had the 2-Disc Unrated Deadpool for sale). The only title I wanted that I missed out on was Jigsaw for $5.99, and that's only because I was being finnicky and they didn't have any slipcovers.

And that doesn't even include all the crap I ordered online!

Natas likes this.
  5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

It's now price-matched on amazon for $7.99. Had to get it.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the one . There are a number of plot points that reminded me of HEREDITARY, though both films stand on their own.

m@ggot likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

received_290270871628244.jpeg

It's funnier if you've seen Boy Erased, but too hilarious to not share.

msw7, Workshed and Natas like this.
  8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Hahahahahaha.......that poor girl.

9. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

This pleasantly surprised me, in that it was far more unpleasant than I expected, in every good way. I definitely thought this was a well-crafted, disturbing movie. The Mom's performance was really good - at the same time that she was freaking me out I honestly didn't know if she was cray-cray or not.

The ending really sold me on it.

From the point she burns the Dad, the atmosphere was phenomenal. Seeing her near the ceiling behind her son, then when she chases him and was banging her head against the attic door. Damn. Then she saws her own head off and I was like, DAMN.

Workshed and soxfan666 like this.
  10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm generally a fan of serious, "no fun" horror, but this flick prompted me to do something I very rarely do--bail out long before the conclusion. I know that these characters are at a low ebb, but I found all of them unpleasant and unrelatable. I've seen lots of people praise Collette's performance, and while it might be technically strong, nothing that she projected made me care about her or her character's plight.

I admire Aster's obsessive dedication to mood above all else--but he seems obsessed with characters who are so numbed by tragedy that they completely suck any potential enjoyment out of his films. I don't mind a downer if there's some sort of reward for the slog, but the first 30-40 minutes of this movie are too unpleasant to be scary or engaging. I didn't love Midsommar, but I found it a lot more interesting.