Hero (2003) North American Release

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Erg0n, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    It seems Miramax has bought the rights to show this movie over here. If you haven't seen it you are missing out. Of course there's Tarintino's name on the posters no doubt to attract his fans.

Anyone know if they cut/butchered this prior to releasing?

2. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I can't find the length of the US cut anywhere. As much as I want to see it on the big screen, I'll pass if it's shorter than the cut I already have on dvd.

3. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

*CHOP* *CHOP* *CHOP*.... the sound of Miramax chopping this to pieces on the forthcoming R1 DVD. :fire:

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Maybe you should look into what you're talking about before you say something like that next time. The US theatrical version is not cut in any way and is identical to the theatrical cut of HERO in Asian countries (i.e. - 96 or 97 minutes). The only difference is subtitles, which are reportedly an improvement.

5. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

Hence... "forthcoming DVD". By no means is this assured, especially with their uncut DVD of Shoalin Soccer. I only speculate based on Miramax's previous treatment of their foreign films. Perhaps the SS disk is a great sign of things to come, but I wouldn't get my hopes up prematurely... they have a history of mangling DVDs. :fire:

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Have they ever released a foreign film uncut in theaters and only cut on DVD?

7. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

The 98 minute cut of Hero that was released in both U.S and asian theatres is the cut version.

MiramAXE imposed 20 minutes of cuts for the Heros release in asia and refused to let anyone release a uncut version on dvd in asia until recently, when there was a crappy partially cut dvd.

It is looking like the U.S region 1 dvd will be the first fully uncut dvd edition released. This is because they took notice of the fans complaining about releasing an uncut shaolin soccor on dvd.

Its a way of making U.S fans to buy the region 1 dvd and not buying an asia region's disc.

8. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

I believe Miramax forced Yimou to cut the film down to 100 minutes. So, really, none of us (save those that purchased the lousy Extended DVD) have seen anything close to the entire movie. A bloody shame... perhaps they will release the extended cut in R1, because of SS, I have some hope.... :fire:

9. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

10. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Bravo had a special on the movie today. Damn Tarantino... I get the impression that he thinks he had something to do with this film being made. Anyway... I like Hero, but there were several very slow parts and unless they cut out a lot of the action, I can't see how it will be better. Guess I'll have to wait and see Miramax's uncut DVD release.

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

COuld you give us a link as to where you got this information? There is the "extended version" which is 108 minutes but I have never heard of anything longer.

12. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Interesting news. Thanks.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well that sucks. It would've been nice if someone else had picked it up, like Lions Gate, then maybe we wouldn't have a cut version in theaters. The Weinsteins are vicious, what they say goes, and theres no debating it. I've been reading a book about independent filmmaking. It has plenty of opinions and anecdotes on the Weinsteins from various filmmakers, all of which state that they are out to make money, nothing else, and that they could care less about the filmmaker.

15. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

Hero debuts at #1 at the U.S. box office!

It's one of the slow seasons for movies and the competition wasn't particularly strong, but it's still impressive for a foreign language genre movie to debut at #1. Hopefully this will lead to decent theatrical releases of future movies by Takeshi Kitano, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Chan-wook Park and other Asian filmmakers uncut. (I wouldn't hold my breath for Takashi Miike movies being released uncut in 2,000 theaters anytime soon, though. :D )

16. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

HERO takes the top box office this weekend

According to the radio news (heard this in the car Sunday night) HERO was the number one movie at the box office this weekend with an estimated gross of just over 17 Million.

Not bad for a 2 year old Asian film :)

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

17. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Nice, I want to see this this week, before it leaves the theaters.

18. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Hero is one of the best movies I saw last year. Although I have the dvd, I am gonna try to catch it on the big screen.

19. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

There have been reports that the subtitles in this theatrical release have been simplified compared to the dvd releases, thereby slightly altering the meaning of whats been said.

20. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I'm going to see this tonight, most likely. I'll be back with comments when I do.