Herschell Gordon Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Il Corvo, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Il Corvo

Il Corvo Guest

Well, not sure if it's considered classic, but the only movie I saw from him was Blood Feast, which was pretty good. Has anyone seen : Blood Feast 2 or any other movies from him ?

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I may be the only one, but I thought BLOOD FEAST 2 was terrible except for some great gore scenes. I'd recommend checking out TWO THOUSAND MANIACS, THE GORE GORE GIRLS, and THE WIZARD OF GORE, which are all pretty entertaining.

3. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I've wanted to see some HGL movies for awhile now with 2000 Maniacs on the top of the list but his movies are not easy to find.

4. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

Of them all, 2000 Maniacs is my favorite. But that doesn't say much. I liked them alright when I was a teen (back when Beta was an option), but I don't remember them fondly, or like them much anymore. Too fake, too camp, or too cheap, just not as enjoyable as they once were.

I would check the mom-and-pop rental stores, probably in VHS, and be sure you like the story before hunting down your own copy.

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Blood Feast 2 rocks... In any case, I say one could recommend all of them except Monster A Go Go. There's still a few I haven't seen yet, though. They're all fun in one way or another.

BTW: HG Lewis most deservedly belongs here.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

BF 2 is cheesy as all hell...and I love it.

7. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Definitally check out The Wizard of Gore, I thought that was really fun, and it has a couple good gore scenes. The punch press comes to mind immediatly.

The Gore Gore Girls was pretty good too, among other things it had a girl getting her ass hit with a meat tenderizer, then salt thrown on the wound.

8. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

You can't go wrong with a H.G. Lewis flick. She-Devils on Wheels and Something Weird are worth checking out too.

9. I've seen Blood Feast and thought it was great , but i guess my favorite would be " 2000 Maniac " . I thought it had a really good story line , any news about the sequel that is being done or have they stopped.

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

2000 Manaiacs kicks ass! His other efforts are amuzing as well.

11. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I must confess, the only Herschell Gordon Lewis title I've seen, until recently, was the MST3K version of Monster A Go-Go. The other day, I saw a used copy of Blood Feast for only five bucks. Great movie! Very campy and the gore really surprised me, considering it was released in 1963. Mal Arnold, who portrayed Fuad Ramses the murderous Egyptian gourmet, freaking rules. The way his eyes dart back and forth, reading cue cards and lines written on his hands... priceless!
    [​IMG]
    Mal Arnold... You rule, dude!

12. Never seen blood feast 2 but i liked the first one , my favorite is 2000 maniacs as i believe this is his true masterpiece .

13. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

The Following movies from Herschell Gordon Lewis I have seen, and some of them I have on DVD:

Blood Feast, Have on DVD
    Color Me Blood Red, Have on DVD
    2000 Maniacs, Have on DVD
    A Taste of Blood
    Gruesome Twosome, Have on DVD
    Wizard of Gore
    Gore Gore Girls
    Blood Feast 2: All U Can Eat, have on DVD, but have not seen it yet. Purchased it used at Blockbuster, but it is the R Rated version, which means that it will most likely be cut.

14. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Something Weird Video has most of his titles on DVD, often with commentary and other cool extras.

I like BLOOD FEAST, 2000 MANIACS, SHE-DEVILS ON WHEELS and JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT! best. The only one I've never been able to get into at all was THIS STUFF'LL KILL YA!

15. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Top 5 and all are musts!!!!!!

Blood Feast
    Gore Gore Girls
    Scum of the earth
    Just for the Hell of it
    Wizard of Gore

Gee he had great titles!!!!!

16. The_Tunneler

The_Tunneler Guest

OUR HANDS ARE BLEEDING. ITS MONTAG HE'S DOING IT! Pure genious!

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I treated myself to $70 worth of Lewis today. I really don't know much about him other articles and such. I first bought a biography in hardback. Then I bought the Something Weird box set with The Wizard of Gore, Something Weird, A Taste of Blood, The Gruesome Twosome, The Gore Gore Girls, She-Devil on Wheels.

I watched the trailers. I've been in the mood for cheese lately, and they seem to fit the bill. :) Will report back :)

18. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I have my eye on that very boxset too. Maybe later on in the new year...

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The only bummer was their not putting Blood Feast in it. But for $34 I just thought, "what the f*ck." It was a christmas gift to myself. I plan on reading the biography - taking breaks to watch the films being discussed :)

20. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

The Blood Trilogy is available as a separate boxset: Blood Feast + Two Thousand Maniacs + Color Me Blood Red.