Herschell Gordon Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Il Corvo, Jun 9, 2004.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

There ya go. Thanks man, there goes more cash :D

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

The Herschell box set is full of top shelf stuff. I know many will be put off by A Taste of Blood, but I enjoy the dickens out of it. Which biography did you get? Godfather of Gore or A Taste of Blood? (ATOB, did that come out in hardback?) There's also the book that came out around 1983, but I haven't even touched that yet.

There's not a bad title (at least, IMO) that is in that box. When you get around to The Gruesome Twosome, when the drive-in scene comes up, keep Hiroshima Mon Amour in mind :D

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I bought "Godfather of Gore". It wasn't cheap though at $35. It was a choice of getting that or a book on Tobe Hooper. Went with Lewis. I'm actually quite under-educated on this pivotal figure, and must pick up that other set. What's a horror collection without this guys films? I know they are a little "rough", but the films stand beside the classics in the genre, influence wise. So now I hope to get smarter.

By the way, the box set was a little under $34 in Best Buy. That's one dollar more than DDD, and $7 cheaper than Amazon. Not bad at all.

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I like Godfather of Gore better than A Taste of Blood. It's a very good read and much more historical. ATOB is more a rundown of each film, the major thing it has going for it is an interview with Mal Arnold. You made the right choice, IMO.

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

2000 Maniacs rules, a great story and truly gruesome effects.

6. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I just watched Color Me Blood Red and all I can say is HOLY BANANAS!

I almost pissed my pants at that part. I've seen The Blood Trilogy and think Blood Feast is the only real gem out of the three, but the other two are still ok. Plus, HOLY BANANAS!

7. Criswell

Criswell New Member

The Blood Feast Audio Commentary is aside from maybe the Ilsa Commentary, perhaps the best ever.

8. bachmann

bachmann Member

damm you all to hell. some guy has stolen my blood trilogy boxset and now you start talking about the godfather of gore and the loss is too much for me to take. so i just ordered both the boxsets my girlfriend is going to put my nuts in a sling when she finds out

9. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

:lol: Oh shit! I almost forgot about that. One of my favourite lines ever!

10. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I just got my Blood Trilogy box in the mail yesterday and watched Blood Feast. I was stunned by the color and the transfer was exceptional. I never thought in thousand years that a cheap ass B-movie from the sixties would ever come up so clean, but Goddamn! The movie itself wasn't too exceptional though, but I've never been a big exploitation, gore for the sake of gore kinda guy. It was decent and it's nice to have the movies that basically created a genre at home in my collection. I'll have to grab the other box at some point, they've all been on my wishlist for some time. $23 for these three films was a helluva deal any way I look at it. I love DeepDiscountDVD!

11. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

2000 Maniacs is one of my favorite horror movies from the 60s and Blood Feast is entertaining throughout. I just bought Color Me Blood Red yesterday and plan on watching it this week.

I'm reading an interview with HGL from a book called Incredibly Strange Films. The questions aren't that spectacular, but his answers are fun, and actually make you think. I really want one of those vomit bags they gave out at theaters when Blood Feast played. I wonder if anybody on Ebay is selling them.

12. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I finally got around to watching Two Thousand Maniacs earlier today and I was a bit disappointed. As the gore film after Blood Feast, I expected the gore to be upped a bit, but sadly that wasn't the case. The gore was there but it was very basic and not up to the standards I hold HG Lewis to.

Once again a great role by a child actor saves an otherwise average film, this time it was "Billy". "Whaddya want, yank?!" Too bad he wasn't in anything else.

I've seen a handful of HG Lewis films and at the moment I would probably rank this as my least favorite.

13. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

That's a shame. I found the thumb cutting scene and the arm hacking scene to be pretty effective.

2000 Maniacs has a lot more going for it than gore. Just like many didn't go into the water because of Jaws, I'll never travel to the south because of 2000 Maniacs.

14. Criswell

Criswell New Member

mmm... 2000 Maniacs is certaintly a better film, but a lesser Lewis Gore Film.

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I agree with Criswell. I remember being taken somewhat aback when I first watched it; they actaully had a STORY in this one, WOW! :) I thought they did a great job of roasting BRIGADOON while providing fun, effective, drive-in level entertainment.

16. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i agree. this movie bored me. ive seen color me blood red, blood feast, gore gore girls, and 2,000 manaics. i loved blood feast and gore gore girls, but the other 2 didnt do much for me.

17. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I own Blood Feast, Color Me Blood Red, 2000 Maniacs, and Gruesome Twosome on DVD. I have also seen Wizard of Gore, and the Gore Gore Girls.

18. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I got around to this commentary a month or so back and have to agree, it's one of the best I've heard. Very animated, a lot of fun.

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I haven't seen many, only Blood Feast, The Wizard of Gore, and The Gore Gore Girls, but I loved them all. The Gore Gore Girls is my favorite. I still need to pick up the Blood Trilogy set and the HG Lewis set.

20. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Aside from his gore films, I'd also recommend checking out "Scum of the Earth". It's on a double feature with "The Defilers" from Something Weird DVD.

Scum dosen't have gore or anything, but the characters in it make it alot of fun, Ajax in particular. Plus it has a bunch of the regulars from the gore films he made. You can read more over at Mondo-Digital's review to see what it's about etc, since I don't feel like going into too much detail :p