Herschell Gordon Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Il Corvo, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Luna

Luna Guest

Scum of the Earth is a fun roughie... I second it, for sure. :D

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Oh yeah, Scum of the Earth is fantastic! Don't forget the This Stuff'll Kill Ya/Year of the Yahoo double.

3. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Year of the Yahoo........mmmmmm didnt Tim Robbins re-make this in the 90's as Bob Roberts??

4. mcchrist

yeah, they are similar, aren't they?

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I posted some quick thoughts on each DVD in the SWV HGL Collection on another forum I'll share here for the hell of it. I don't like to go over the plots of these movies, I just like to give my overall feel of it.

The Wizard of Gore (3.5/4)

Of the entire Herschell Gordon Lewis collection this is what peaked my interest the most. What or who could possibly be The Wizard of Gore?!?! I was not disapointed, if there's an exploitation of gore thy name is Wizard of Gore. A magician chops up girl after girl for the bemusement of an audience, just the very idea of that filled my inner demons with so much amazement and wonder. The way HGL just let the camera linger as the magician fondled the inner organs of the helpless tied up girls. And the hair brained investigations by the hero, total hiliarity. And the ending, what a swell treat that was. One of the odder movies I've ever seen. Such an unexpected surprised.

Extras included a commentary I didn't listen to and an exploitation art gallery I didn't look at. I did watch the trailer, and it includes some extended takes of scenes, so it's of mild interest.

The Gruesome Twosome (2.5/4)

Somewhat disapointing after The Wizard of Gore, but once I began to accept it for what it really was I found it entertaining. What's interesting is the lead heroine, she's a plucky Nancy Drew type who really doesn't have a clue. Seemed like a nice anti-drug to all the Scream knock offs where the victimized lead girl plays detective and figures out who the killer is. Of course the mutilations are some of the most graphic stuff I've ever seen. The killer just mashes and mushes the stuff over and over again. There's an odd scene of the lead couple making out at a drive-in while a REALLY bizarre movie plays on the screen. It's the strangest fluff I've ever seen added to an exploitation flick as padding. I got a laugh outta it the first time, but I can't help but think that if I saw it again it would be just plain irritating.

Extras included a commentary I didn't listen to and an exploitation art gallery I didn't look at. I did watch the trailer and it includes some specially shot footage not seen in the feature film, so I highly recommend catching that for the chairside chat. The archival short, "Wigs-O-Rama" is a pro-wig promotion... I guess... I know I'll never buy a wig based on that short, it somehow reminded me of the Nazi stock piles of Jewish girl's scalps I saw in the documentary Night and Fog. Must have been the bleak film stock used.

A Taste of Blood (3/4)

I think this did a rather good job of capturing the gothic feel of Dracula, there's a certain balance achieved between an HGL production and a classic horror production in there. It was able to put a new modern spin on a classic story arch, I was rather impressed with its execution in that regard. All the elements were there, whoever put this script together did their homework and knew what they were talking about with vampire.

Extras included a trailer I didn't watch, commentary I didn't listen to and an exploitation art gallery I didn't look at. What I did watch turned out to be my favorite short subject of all the SWV's I've seen! "Nightmare at Elm Manor" (4/4) is a nudie cutie with pitch perfect sensibilites. I was blown away by its style and grace, while at the same time it delivered the goods as a nudie cuite ten fold. The lead girl is stunning, the best pin-up body I've seen. Just the perfect pre-60's hour glass form, I'd love to know her name!

Something Weird (3/4)

A decent little flick for SWV to have as its flag ship. The plot itself is rather normal ESP dribble, but the execution is where it shines. The lead character is suppose to be finding a murder, but he's doing anything but trying to find him! If all the other activities he was up to wasn't so fun I'd see that as a strike but I wouldn't sacrafice a moment of the subplots to boost the rather lackluster "main" plot. It's all pretty random with things designed simply to set off the next things. The pay off is the scenes themselves. The ending was rather anti-climatic but it had a good twist at the very end. For some odd reason it's widescreen 1.85:1, the credits seem to indicate that it really should have been full screen 1.37:1. Maybe SWV felt they had to impress some of film fans looking at their cult items? It doesn't really effect the movie, but it just seems out of place to suddenly have this widescreen.

Extras included an introduction I didn't listen to, commentary I didn't listen to and an exploitation art gallery I didn't look at. I did watch the three archival short subjects; "Monsterrama Nightmare from the Weird World of LSD" is your typical wanna be experimental short with "drugs are bad" message. Rather forget able fluff extra.

"Psyched-Out Sing-Along with the 4D Witch!" doesn't have a bouncing ball or anything so I found that rather disapointing. Pretty hard to sing along with some random bad lyrics. Beyond that, some dull psyche-out stuff that's been seen thousands of times in any such psycho-out video ever made. Meh.

"LSD Psychedelic Freak Out" was a real treat for me. Maybe it's because the first two were so bad but this really sparked my interest. There's an excellent understanding of the use of color and light put to good use with its staging and framing. I've worked with projected lighting before, and I'm very impressed with this short film's exposures.

She-Devils on Wheels (1/4)

My least favorite from the boxset, I was midly amussed by this but I doubt I'll ever even watch it again. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of biker movies, but I couldn't get into this. I found myself laughing at it not with it unlike other HGL productions. The Maneaters' jackets alone were enough to make me scoff, it looked like something gradeschoolers had their mom do for theme day at school. I doubt they spent more than a dime on anything in this movie. And all the rhyming which apparently were "jokes," they made very little sense and were flat out unfunny. It just reinforced in my mind how kiddie these "red hot mamas from hell" were. The biker races were lame beyond belief, and the "orgies" were simply make out sessions, if they at least tried to leave it to your imaginations it wouldn't have come off so uncool. And that's probably the best way to describe these bikers, uncool. It's dumb to use such terms to support a movie, but this is a biker flix man! You need some cool chicks in there daddy-o! All these chicks featured were duds, when HGL had managed to attract some sexy cool chickadies before and after this feature, so I don't know what they were thinking with this casting. Dykes maybe?

Extras included a trailer I didn't watch, commentary I didn't listen to and an exploitation art gallery I didn't look at. I did watch the archival short subject, "Biker Beach Part." Which was kinda sorta intresting, but the voice over of the biker talking just reinforced in my mind how brainwashed and just like everyone else those bikers really were. Sure the language or "slang" was different, but the mind set was all the same. All the same. I found it funny how the narrator asked the open ended question, "What will happen when everyone becomes care free as bikers?" The funny thing is, the opposite happened. Bikers have become commercialized and now anyone hitting thier middle age crisis can be a leather strapped biker. :rolleyes:

I really can't recommend this DVD, if you're looking for leather bound dykes kicking men's groins, keep on looking. This is simply middle class girls with too much time and apparently money on their hands. The bike racing is dull, the "orgies" are dull, the fights are dull and the movie is dull.

The Gore Gore Girls (3.5/4)

I saved the best for last from the boxset and I'm glad I did after being disapointed by She-Devils. It's a take off of Argento/Bava and I must say it was my favorite of the whole bunch. The forumula is simple; show a girl being graphicly killed nude, show girls stripping in a club, repeat. Why hadn't anyone thought of that sooner? But the murders themselves lack the style and grace of Argento, although they pack a much more slick wit. The killing with the mallet was easily my favorite, I don't want to spoil it but the whole package on that kill was priceless.

It's also a lot more competently put together than HGL's other productions, with much less fluff and actual lighting. (Seperate shots match up quality wise in scenes, imagine that!) But in that sense this also seemed to me to lack the heart of HGL's other productions. The killings are pure HGL though, with killers feeling and mashing organs (especially eyes).

Extras included an introduction I didn't listen to, commentary I didn't listen to and an exploitation art gallery I didn't look at. What I did watch was "A Peek at The High Priestess of Love from 'Love Goddess of Blood Island'." What a fun romp that was! A total basement production with that certain senseability I just love. I'm definetly picking up the rest of the remaining footage on SWV's other release. Too bad what I read indicates it to be incomplete, I hope they found all the good parts.

6. Criswell

Criswell New Member

uuummmmmmm What do you have against Commentaries???? I can guarantee you teh the Lewis commentatries are amongst the best around

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Nothing against them, it just that I didn't have four hours to spare on each, just two. So I only watched the movies straight up. I'll get around to it.

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I splurged with my Xmas money and purchased both the Blood Trilogy and the HG Lewis Collection from DDD several days ago, and they came in the mail today. I was a tad disappointed that my Blood Trilogy was in snappers, but I got over that fairly quick. The films are the important part, right? I'm just happy to have all of these movies right at my fingertips, especially since I haven't seen the majority of them. Because I'd already rented Blood Feast, I skipped over that and watched Two Thousand Maniacs. I was fairly disappointed, to tell the truth; it had some things going for it, like the storyline (town-with-a-secret movies always creep me out), but as DefJeff mentioned earlier in the thread, the gore just wasn't that great compared to Blood Feast. Anyhow, I plan on watching these in the order that they were made, so Color Me Blood Red is next on my list. I'll be watching that tomorrow. Then I'll start on the HG Lewis set with The Gruesome Twosome. :D

I've actually been thinking of doing a presentation on HG Lewis in my Speech class. I ordered the books Godfather of Gore and A Taste of Blood through inter-library loan and plan on reading them as soon as they come in. These films are such a fascinating part of history and HG is a genius!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2006
  9. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

your right, we are like that. you better stay away yankee! THE SOUTHS GONNA RISE AGAIN!

10. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

The Lewis commentaries are a blast! You can't go wrong with 'em. The only one that I didn't care for was with Mike Varney blabbing about the history of his company. Lewis left early for some reason and the commentary suffered for it. Ryan, you'll enjoy A Taste of Blood. It's a good read. The author tends to gush over every Lewis movie, including the wretched Monster-A-Go-Go Yikes!
    A little more criticism was needed, but that's a small bitch. The Mal Arnold interview was the highlight of the book. Anybody excited about the 2000 Maniacs remake? It shows plenty of promise.

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Looks like I won't be reading it, unless I buy it on Amazon (which I just might...). There was only one copy in all the libraries in PA, and for some reason they wouldn't ship it out. Maybe it was lost or stolen? :(

I did get Godfather of Gore, though, and am more than halfway through it. Great read, but not something I would read again. I might buy it someday just to say that I have it, but it is rather pricey so I dunno.

12. mcchrist

Godfather of Gore is the better book, IMO. More biographical, where as the other was more of a catalogue. But Mark is correct, the Mal Arnold interview is worth the price alone.

And count me in for 2001 Maniacs.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I watched 2000 Maniacs and Blood Feast recently and I enjoyed Blood Feast much more. I found 2000 Maniacs boring, they drag everything out too much between death scenes. Blood Feast was mostly back to back killings with some goofy padding to hold it all together. I also liked the story better, a cultist trying to resurrect an Egyptian goddess through serial killings is much more interesting to me than a town of hicks getting blood revenge on some yanks.

Although I have to admit that South Will Rise Again tune was really fun and got stuck in my head, especially after listening to it three or so more times while watching the outtakes. Apparently Lewis himself wrote and preformed it.