His Name Was Jason 3 disc dvd coming Feb 3rd 2009

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, Nov 8, 2008.

1. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I'm thinking the only way we'll get the rest of the series on blu-ray is if we start collecting names & hopefully that would encourage Paramount to get the point.

2. dayglo

dayglo Member

I'm sure they'll release more when another F13 is eventually made, and there's no way it doesn't happen. Especially with the success of movies like Insidious which cost relatively nothing to make and bringing in huge bank. I totally believe they'll go back to making these as simple movies, on a small budget for maximum profit.

With the example of Wan and Whannel pulling this off with two different types of horror, it's something I can see pursued quite easily.

3. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Exactly. So why sit on them when there is clearly a significant amount of money to be made?

4. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Now that's the question of the hour. I know I would be first in line to add them to my collection. I just don't understand why Paramount can't see that. Especially with a franchise that has a long history & tons of fan support, you would think they know that after releasing the box set & the deluxe edtions.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If the first three movies had been that profitable on blu-ray, I'd imagine we would have the rest of the series on blu-ray by now.

Does anyone know if the initial blu-rays sold well?

6. kimboslice

kimboslice Member

I remember reading an article somewhere saying they had sold quite poorly. I really hope they release the rest on blu, cheesy as the latter sequels are, they are still good fun.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  7. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

I could see how the blu-rays for 1 and 2 might not have sold as well as part 3. They were all mastered from the Deluxe Edition DVDs which came out first. By then most people had already upgraded at least a couple times. Then there were the reports about the zooming on part 1. Part 2 still didn't get an uncut release and ported over the exact same features from the Deluxe DVD. Part 3 offered several exclusive featurettes on BD while the Deluxe Edition only had a trailer. Also to note, Part 2 is the ONLY film in the series without a commentary track while some of them have two!

8. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I agree that while the "main" doc itself is underwhelming, the true worth of this set is in the extras. There's some great stuff there that you'll be missing out on if you just watch the doc on Netflix or pick up the single-disc DVD for cheap. The 2-disc set is well worth it for Friday fans. (BTW, the thread title should be changed, as there's no 3rd disc.)

As for the rest of the series on BD, I'm sure it will happen eventually. It's not surprising if the initial BDs weren't big sellers. The movies had already been triple-dipped on DVD. Another reason some fans might hold out is to wait for the inevitable box set. I only picked up Parts 1 -3 on BD this last Halloween because they were on sale for a good price. They will move enough units over time that Paramount will get around to putting out the rest.

9. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Which is a wonderful idea but I don't really want to wait another five-ten years for something that's already been released once & wouldn't take them long to do if they got off their asses to do it.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thanks Zillamon51. I'll pick up the "His Name Was Jason" DVD at some point to check out the extras. Same with the Deluxe Editions of 4-8 since I just caved in and bought the first three on Blu. Quick question, is there anything on the "From Crystal Lake to Manhatten" box that hasn't carried over to the deluxe editions?

11. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Yes, there are extras from the box set that didn't carry over to the DEs. I believe the reviews archived elsewhere on this site give all the details. That's the main reason I never got the DE DVDs. Since the BDs will most likely be ports of the DEs, I figure I can skip them since I have the DVD box set.

BTW, if you're set on getting the DE DVDs, be sure to check your local Big Lots. They can be found there for $5 each.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thank you. I'll be taking a ride to a few Big Lots this weekend then. :)

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

the main thing missing from the deluxe editions are the commentary tracks on 3, 6, 7, and 8. thats a huge loss as far as i'm concerned, so i'll not be giving up my crystal lake to manhattan box.

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Damn, I guess I'll keep my box set as well--those commentary tracks are pretty entertaining. I have yet to go Blu, so I may check out Big Lots too.

15. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Which doesn't make sense you would think they would have ported those over but then it's Paramount so who knows.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Paramount need to make a blu box set for Friday the 13th which is as high a standard as Fox's Alien blu set.

17. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Ive never seen the first 4 at Big Lots. If you see any of them let me know.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

that's the most unlikely thing i could possibly imagine. however, it IS nice to imagine it.

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

We can only dream for now, so fuck it, let's dream bigger:

Criterion presents: From Crystal Lake to Space and back: the Friday the 13th megaset! All 11 Friday/Jason films up to the remake (they'll have rights issues with Freddy:lol:), a reprint of "Crystal Lake Memories" with new forward by someone cool. All previous features plus for the first time ever, uncut versions of 2 on up, including footage so rare, it hasn't even been found as I dream this shit. Retrospective docs on the films, the legend, the TV series, the toys. All films with options to watch original theaterical versions or newly struck uncut prints preserving what was originally intended. Minimum 3 commentary tracks per film. $113 in a cabin shaped BD boxset!

There you go Critreion, make it happen!:D

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Will do. The wife and I are going to try a couple Big Lots on Sunday.