Holocaust or Ferox?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Arkiliknam, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Arkiliknam

Arkiliknam Guest

The thought of the Cannibal movies makes my stomach turn, but I've only ever read about them.

Now my sisters comes to me, asking if I've got Holocaust, as some of her net friends have seen it...

Maybe its time I delved into the dark, evil italian exploitation, and visit the Cannibals...

I know Holocaust came first... was Ferox just a rip off? Or are they both worth watching? Should I bother with one, or the other, or either?

If I was to get one, or both, I'd want to get the uncut ones (since I'm a dvd freak), and I know that the Grindhouse R1 version is pretty much as good as it gets, next to getting the LE Dutch version. What about Ferox? Is there a "Piss your pants edition"? Or is it a miss?

-Arkiliknam

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

They are both worth watching, IMO-- Cannibal Holocaust for the "disturbing" factor and Cannibal Ferox mostly for the laugh factor, but both are pretty shocking. :D

If you had asked me which one was my favorite before I got the Grindhouse release of Cannibal Holocaust, I would have said Ferox... but now that I've given Holocaust another chance, I've realized that it is one of my favorite films. You can laugh at the film, if you have a very dark sense of humor, but really the film is just relentless and, to me anyhow, disturbing as hell because the effects are much more realistic. That's what I like about it. I don't like the fact that both films have terrible animal violence (and Holocaust is yet again even worse than Ferox in that regard), but I'm not about to watch the animal violence-free version of Holocaust on the DVD because it'd take away from the impact of the film.

After watching Cannibal Holocaust, Ferox almost seems like a nice movie. :lol:

And you're right, the Grindhouse release of Holocaust is the best DVD of the film there is in terms of extras, but I've heard there have been better transfers overseas. So it all depends on what you want; me, I'd rather suffer through some irritating pixelation just to have those great extras. :)

The Grindhouse release of Ferox is also the best, I'd say. The Sazuma tin has the best transfer and the Grindhouse transfer is really washed-out and grainy (not to mention it's non-anamorphic), but the extras are fantastic. I have both releases of this film because I love it so much. It might be nostalgia, though... I have good memories of watching this one via the ThrillerVideo VHS entitled Make Them Die Slowly! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2005
  3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I prefer Ferox of the 2 because of the cheese factor along with the gore. Makes it a bit easier to watch. If you get it be sure to get the Ultrabit Tin by Sazuma.

4. betterdan

betterdan Guest

If you are a pussy about animal violence skip them but if not then read what Ryan said. You can trust Ryan, he loves these flicks. He even told me that he masturbated during Cannibal Holocaust one time.

5. Atmims

Atmims Guest

:lol: :lol:

I like them both, but Cannibal Holocaust is the better film.

6. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

CH all the way.

7. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Cannibal films are not for everyone, but Cannibal Holocaust is the best.

The Import Ultrabit has the best trasnfer and is uncut with ok extras.

The grindhouse version has the best extras, the part that is cut from the film is included in the extras.

9. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

Both films are worth watching and owning, in my opinion. FEROX was Umberto Lenzi's attempt to one-up CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, and although it has some shocking scenes and great gore, it's not as grim or ferocious as HOLOCAUST. Some fans like that, other's don't. I personally do. As far as the definitive DVD releases are concerned, I'd go with the EC Ultrabit version of HOLOCAUST and the Sazuma Ultrabit version of FEROX. Yes, I do own the Grindhouse HOLOCAUST DVD, but extras aside, I'm pretty disappointed with it (too much pixellation for such a ballyhooed, high definition transfer).

My DVD Collection

10. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

I prefer Cannibal Ferox. Just Cannibal Holocaust signed by 2 of the actors up at Chiller Theatre.

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Cannibal Holocaust is a better film. I don't know which one of the two I preffer - it depends on my mood. If I want to have some cheese mindless fun, then Lenzi is the man. If I want to watch something more serious though, Holocaust is the only choice from this whole genre. Great film making.

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  13. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

yes, but this is a funny ass line:

"It comes in a totally gaudy (but appropriate) metal case - perhaps to protect it from frequent attempts at being set on fire."

:lol:

14. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

After being familiar with Ferox and just recently watching Holocaust's new disc, its a bit of a toss up for me. I find Holocaust to be more intense, but not necessarily more graphic. I think Ferox has a little more edge in terms of torture, revenge and gore. Holocaust is definitely not for the squeamish and has its moments, but I still thought Ferox was a little more hardcore. I didn't have a problem watching either of these, so I say dive in head first and buy 'em both.

15. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

You bastid! :lol:

Seriously though, I'm a big fan of both of these films. Get 'em both. :)

16. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I have both films on DVD, and I love them both, but Holocaust is a little better.

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I prefer the cheese-fest of Ferox. I love the campiness of it all (minus the animal cruelty). Holocaust is the better film by far. It's too effective - not fun (for me) to revisit as often as Ferox.

18. de rossi

de rossi Guest

Holocaust!

19. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Holocaust, though the animal killing in it is worse, it's just a better film.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I just watched Ferox the other night and there was allot more animal killing scenes then I remembered. I'm going to have to watch Holocaust again because I don't remember it having as many scenes.