Holocaust or Ferox?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Arkiliknam, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've always liked Ferox better. I know the merits of Holocaust and all, but any message Deodato was trying get across about the media and violence was thrown out the window, in my opinion, when he used footage of real executions. So, for me, not only is Holocaust uncomfortable to watch, but it's message means nothing to me, so I have no real reason to see it again. Ferox is entertaining cheese that is gory, but so over the top that it doesn't come off as unsettling. Although the animal violence isn't too fun. Eh, check em both out, though, I'm not too keen on the whole Cannibal genre to begin with.

2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I've always thought the thing about HOLOCAUST is that it only pretends to condemn the things it shows.

The animal scenes are probably actually worse in FEROX in the sense that although the animal deaths in HOLOCAUST were horrible to watch, they did serve a purpose as far as the film was concerned, and although you can debate whether it was acceptable to do that, the scenes did play a role in the overall effect of the film. In FEROX, they just used it because it was a convention of the genre--the animal scenes didn't really do anything for the film. But to be fair, scenes of animal cruelty appeared in cannibal films that predated both CH and FEROX.

3. Enutz666

Enutz666 Member

Being a fan of cannibal flicks I think both films are great for different reasons, Ferox has some of the best(funniest) dialog ever "hot pussied little whore", great gore & John Morghan. Holocaust is intense & so believable. The animal violence is crazy, films like these would have a hard ass time being made and/or released today. Both I think should be viewed even if just to watch in disbelief.

4. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

What other cannbal films, other than the ones stated, have real animal kills?

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Mountain of the Cannibal God does, and if you buy the AB DVD, you get to see some beastiality! :confused:

I believe Lenzi's Eaten Alive has some animal violence and other scenes stolen from Mountain of the Cannibal God as well.

6. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Ok you just had to make me do it didn't you?

7. DeathDealer

RyanPC, I really don't understand that Dario Argento quote you have as your sig.

What excatly does he mean by that statement?

8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I am guessing he meant that since it's become so successful it's gone more mainstream which is leading to it's downfall.

9. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I think JUNGLE HOLOCAUST had some scenes of animal cruelty too. No, not Me Me Lay.

10. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Man From Deep River also has real animal killings.

11. DeathDealer

What do you guys think of Man From Deep River?

It's got the great Umberto Lenzi behind it. :)

12. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

I dig this movie. Plus, it includes the great Me Me Lai and Ivan Rassimov. Not my favorite of the cannibals, but not my least favorite either. If your a hopeless fan of the exploitation / cannibal movie -- like myself -- then...this film is for you.

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

And as long as you really like animal killings.....

seems like every other scene was one of killing animals or animals fighting each other. But still a pretty decent little flick, if not overly exciting.

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

They both suffer the same failings, while enjoying the same highs. Animal killings are the failings, and hokey exploitation fun are the highs. Taken outside of the animal material both Ferox and Holocaust have their moments - in fact, I think they're essential exploitation fun. We've debated the failings many times.....

15. nukfut

nukfut Guest

I remember watching Make Them Die Slowly as a kid and being pretty horrified by the animal killing scenes. I'd love to see it again but those kinds of scenes bother me too much to seek it out. I'm rarely disturbed by movies but that's something I can't deal with.

I guess I'm just a big pussy. [no comments, Dan!]

16. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Oops! I was talking about Man From Deep River in my above comment. It's been a while since I've seen Holocaust or Ferox, but I swear there was a lot more animal killings in MFDR.

17. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

Okay, I just watched Ferox and Holocaust for the first time. Frankly I don't see what the big deal is but I will admit that this is definitely quite shocking cinema considering when it was made. I think peeps would get lynched by PETA if they tried to remake these movies.

There was one scene though in holocaust that got me and it isn't one that I've ever seen mentioned.

It was the scene after they chopped off the monkey face and some sick motherfucker runs off with it and eats out the back of the monkey face.

That was just sick and I would have shot that fucker if I was on location.

Oh yeah, was that Alfred Molina in the film editing room? Looked just like him...

18. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Elitism or flamebait? You decide.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

When people speak about horror in terms of "respectability" and "quality", I gotta tell ya, I really question their devotion to the genre. If you're looking for either of those things, go watch a flippin' Disney movie!

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

:lol: Whatever, dude. If they really anger you that much, why don't you go email the moral majority, Tipper Gore, or your local state representative about it. And while you're at it, see if they can do something about that song "Cop Killer" by Bodycount! :lol: