Hooray for the mom and pops!

Discussion in 'General' started by maybrick, Mar 10, 2010.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Over the years I've commented now and again on our local independent video store, Video Headquarters. Since they've become a rarity in the 21st Century I thought some of you would like to see some pics of what it has to offer. Now, I'm not trying to brag or anything as I'm sure there are plenty of stores around the country with a better selection. But given that our city only has a population of about 20,000 I don't think it's too shabby. Most of the horror section has been converted to DVD, but if you look close at the photos you'll see plenty of vintage 80s big box offerings on hand.

I wanted to post hi-res pics but they would've been too large for this message board. However even at this resolution you can still make out most of the movie titles. Also, feel free to post pics from your own favorite mom and poperation. I'd love to see them!

2. maybrick

Lots of great big box stuff going on in this pic: BEN, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, ANTS... Best thing though, is the apparent BLOOD FEAST fetish the owners have. Not only is the Something Weird DVD for rental, but also TWO Vhs big boxes from two different companies!

[​IMG]

3. maybrick

A bit of glare in this one, but you can still make out Wizard Video's HEADLESS EYES, as well as vintage boxes for HILLS HAVE EYES, THE HITCHER, and HOUSE OF WHIPCORD.

[​IMG]

4. maybrick

Long shot of approximately half of the horror section, minus the "classic horror" section and some shelves at the end dedicated to Stephen King. The other half is located directly behind these.
    [​IMG]

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Great stuff - long live Video HQ!

6. maybrick

The other side:
    [​IMG]

7. maybrick

I could've composed this shot better. I think I was more focused on the sweet Wizard video covers for RETURN OF THE ZOMBIES (which is a great movie) and REVENGE IN THE HOUSE OF USER (which really isn't!)

[​IMG]

8. maybrick

HOLEE-SHIT!!! All of these years, I thought those were big boxes for TALES FROM THE CRYPT! :lol: It took taking these photos to realize I was misreading them. Wow. I seriously didn't know they had Tales From The Darkside until now. It's strange the games brains can play. I'm speechless.

[​IMG]

9. maybrick

Wizard's TRAUMA and ZOMBIE, Thriller Video's Two Faces of Evil featuring Elvira... I probably should've turned that TRAUMA tape around. The cover is glorious. But all these shelves are the way they were when I arrived. I didn't touch a thing, except to rent NIGHT OF THE DEMONS.

[​IMG]

10. maybrick

The cult section is pretty good, too. The whole store is actually, but a lot of horror films get thrown in there like Cannibal Holocaust and Ferox, among other things. This is only a small taste. The full cult section is probably another four sets of shelves. I think this is the only one where the cases are spread out to take up space... I again, never realized that VHQ had a copy of CHATTERBOX until now! Sheesh, I should carry around a camera more often. You never know what you're missing!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  11. maybrick

And last but not least, the classic/horror legends section. This pic came out a bit too blurry. Sorry for that.

[​IMG]

12. maybrick

Glad you approve! :)

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow that's a pretty amazing videostore. We have a couple like it here in Toronto with a crazy selection (Queen Video) but it's all DVDs. While you can pretty much get anything there, it's basically "anything that's on DVD and blu-ray". I miss those days when there were all those independent videostores that had loads of VHS tapes and you could find the rarest shit.

But nice to see they have a VHS copy of The Final Terror on the shelf. :)

~Matt

14. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

Wow, that's an awesome selection for a small place. There's 375,000 here and you'd be hard pressed to find a single VHS in this city. We have a phenomenal three-story video store that is strictly DVD/Blu-ray. Similar to what Matt said, you can pretty much get anything that's been put out since VHS... but you're shit out of luck otherwise.

Since we're sharing video stores, here's the one I was talking about www.videodifference.com.

15. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Almost all of the Mom & Pop stores drove themselves out of business. This video store above that Maybrick is showcasing is prime example. It's prime example of being run by people who know they're shit. Yeah it's that plain and simple peoples. If allot of Mom & Pop stores stayed on top of the game more would have survived. When DVD took over the rental market M&P chucked all they're videos. There is 0 M&P left where I live. Plus they're closing all the Hollywood Video stores down. Blockbuster sucks ass but they're day is coming. Thanks for posting the pix Maybrick!

16. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

There are about five really good independent video stores here in Ottawa. There's one that still has an abundance of VHS titles that haven't hit DVD yet in most cases. I like these stores, but my girlfriend is more of a renter than I am. I haven't really set foot in one unless I'm with her.

Montreal has one that she took me to which also has lots of old VHS.

17. maybrick

No, thank you! And actually, I really have to thank myself! :lol: But seriously, I've looked these titles I don't know how many times over the years, however it was only a few minutes at a time. But now, in the privacy of my own home, I'm sitting back and REALLY appreciating what they have for offer. Why have I passed over "The Being" for so long? Or "Visiting Hours"? Digital Photography really is a miracle! Now that I have these images I finally know what to look and plan for when I go back. :)

18. maybrick

I'm the same way and you know what? I'm beginning to feel really guilty about it. For the last several years I've bought DVDs and VHQ has suffered from it. Netflix has come along and VHQ has further suffered. In the past 5 years I've rented maybe 5 films in a given year, and yet I've always loved going in to check things out. How am I going to feel when they go out of business?

ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY miserable!

I know the rationale why I've done this: It's because they've raised their rental rates on new movies to $3.99. That's just too much. I used to rent 2 or 3 films at a time and it'd only amount to about 6 or 7 dollars, but at $4 a pop... hell, I could buy movies at that rate! However, their current deal of 5 catalog titles for $10 for a week is acceptable. There's a hell of a lot of movies I've missed out on in the past few years I haven't been renting that now qualify! :lol:

19. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

jealousy is too weak a word...thanks for sharing...and thanks for picking up that big box copy of "body shop" for me when the tapes go on sale!

other lustful visions include wizard big boxes of trauma, zombie, virging among the living dead, headless eyes and return of the zombies; town that dreaded sundown, tales from the darkside big boxes, girls nite out, and thrillervideo's a killer in every corner...

20. Sam

Sam Member

That place looks like a lot of fun! If we had such a rental shop in town, I'd gladly open my wallet to their business. It still saddens me that the mom and pop stores I grew up on are mostly a relic of the past. My absolute favorite was a store called Video Ventures that rented out everything under the sun, from obscure vhs, laserdisc, almost every video game console (including portable game boy and game gear), and more. And almost every VHS in the store that wasn't a new release was a $.99 rental. To top it all off, the owners knew a lot about the movies in their store.. I used to ask for recommendations and sometimes we'd end up talking for an hour or so.