Horror Express & The House that Dripped Blood from Severin

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Cujo108, Apr 13, 2010.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Considering the lousy DVD releases of Horror Express this still sounds like a huge upgrade at a decent price.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The problem with the transfer was also expressed by the WTF film review:
    http://wtf-film.com/site/2011/11/05/horror-express/

They fucked up. And the fuck up is not the original source material, it's how they encoded it onto the disc. A fuck up they could have avoided.

I have to agree with this review though that the extras alone make this worth the price of admission.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Here's hoping that it will be recalled. To be fair, Severin was honorable enough to do that once before with The Psychic.

4. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I just read there's a trailer for Castle of Blood on this? Does this mean Severin are planning a (re)release for that one? I wouldn't mind the upgrade. Can't have too much Margheriti ! :D

5. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

DVD Drive-In's review is glowing, calling it "stunning". I don't know what to think - most reviewers are panning the disc. I find it hard to believe Severin would seriously screw this up, knowing how hotly anticipated the title was. I wonder if all these anomalies are only grating to people with "trained" eyes. I'm an average consumer with an average setup - am I going to grit my teeth when I pop this in?

6. deepred

deepred Member

Or Barbara Steele! :)

7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

The 'Horror Express' BD gets a good review on Mondo Digital too:
    http://www.mondo-digital.com/horrorexpress.html

If it's good enough for DVD Drive-in and Mondo Digital (the two places I go for reviews most frequently), then it will probably be OK by me.

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched Horror Express last night....its a pretty great transfer. There are weird compression "anomalies", but you can only really see them if you stand two feet away from the TV. Other than that, I could barely notice anything really. Detail is surprisingly strong and colors pop. Occasional film degradation evidence shows up from time to time, but other than that I was more than pleased with the transfer. Great upgrade to a strange flick. Bring on HTDB!

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the blu-ray and I thought it was a great transfer. Especially considering the film is 40 years old. Anyone who likes this film should pick this up while they can.

Attached Files:

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Agreed. I bought the blu-ray despite the negative reviews and I'm glad I did. I love the film and it has never looked better. Miles more detail than I have ever seen. Well worth it.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just watched this and I agree that any problems with the transfer are hardly noticeable in an average viewing experience. I noticed some digital effect on the texts mostly. There's some artificial sharpening but not enough to ruin the presentation. I wish it were more film like but all I'd ask is that Severin leaves well enough alone from now on.

The film itself was a surprising treat. I normally go into a film without any prior knowledge of what it's about and that paid off going into this film. There's a nice mix of 'The Thing' and Gothic horror here none the less. There's some leaps of logic to be sure but the uniqueness of the film itself helps smooth over these rough patches. I can't help but feel though that the entire cast is underutilized. It leaves you wanting more but I feel it's a bit in a good way.

Recommended.

12. shape22

I've had this disc for months but finally got to watch it all the way through tonight. The transfer obviously isn't reference quality. But it's nowhere near the train wreck described in some of these reviews.

There are occasional encoding anomalies and some blurring during fast pans. And the color timing drifts toward orange--especially in the early scenes. But overall this is a startling upgrade for a film that's always looked terrible. Contrast, color saturation, and sharpness are vastly improved. And the encoding issues are much more apparent in screenshots than they are watching the film in motion. I can't imagine anyone familiar with the letterboxed DVD releases feeling any different.

Personally I'm thrilled with this release. It's not perfect. But the fiscal realities involved are obvious. It's pretty silly for reviewers to apply the same standards to the latest Michael Bay blockbuster and obscure public domain genre titles like Horror Express. Severin will probably be lucky to recoup their costs. I'm grateful that they bothered to make this film available--especially at a low price point. Hell, I think I paid more for the out-of-print Image DVD.

If the negative reviews have scared you away from this release I recommend that you pick it up while it's still available. It's easily worth the cost.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I was just flipping through my new blu-ray of Horror Express and it looks pretty damn good to me. Especially compared to how poor I've seen it look. I'm really not sure what all the negative fuss was about. If anyone is holding off getting it because of what they read. Just buy it, I doubt you will be disappointed.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I watched it a few nights back being completely unaware of any complaints about the picture, and didn't notice anything. It doesn't look like Jaws, certainly, but it's a pleasantly sharp and vivid image. The photography of the Siberian countryside as the train zips through was quite atmospheric, even if it was always at night.

I feel like I'd seen it before, but was probably drifting in and out of sleep when i did, because I had only a vague memory of what had happened with the train right at the end, and nothing whatsoever about the story that led up to it, so it was a really pleasant viewing experience. It's really a great movie. Nice to see Cushing and Lee working together in a film, rather than at cross-purposes.

Also, the 75 minute audio interview with Cushing was phenomenal, and easily worth the purchase price on its own. So much class, that guy, a real gentleman.

15. shape22

I'm glad to see this disc getting so much love here. All past releases of the film have looked absolutely terrible. So even though this isn't a perfect Blu-ray release it's definitely one of the biggest upgrades ever. And the film really is tremendously enjoyable. Cushing so seldom gets a chance to be funny. But his retort to a character who suggests that he or Christopher Lee might be the monster is laugh-out-loud hilarious. Really a great moment for those who love Cushing as much as I do.

If you go by some of the most popular review sites you'd think this was one of the worst transfers of all-time. I really appreciate everyone here taking the time to share their impressions. I always check here before I make decisions on releases like this.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

That was one of my favorite parts of the film.

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I just finished watching the Blu-ray and not only do I think it's a good transfer, It looks amazing. I have a 61" 1080p, I looked and looked and couldn't see any of the problems I read about. I actually think it's one of the best looking blu-ray transfers that I have seen of an early 70's film. I just don't get it.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Severin seems to be going back in time with their latest batches of Blu-rays.

The Wild Geese and Ashanti both use antiquated MPEG-2 encodes... looking not much better than the DVD's upconverted in the combo packs with them. Standard lossy Dolby Digital at a low 192kbps. Oddly though, the Beverly Johnson interview on the Ashanti Blu-ray is an AVC MPEG-4 encode.

I don't really understand this devolution. BMX Bandits had an AVC encode and utilized lossless DTS-HD Master Audio, as did Santa Sangre and The Stunt Man. Hell, even Loose Screws: Screwballs II did!

I hope they get back on the ball with The House that Dripped Blood.

19. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD is no longer a Severin movie. It's coming out through Hen's Tooth on 2/26, no extras, standard DVD only.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Well that's lame. It doesn't sound like upgrading over the old DVD then, unless the transfer is greatly improved or something. At least the old Lions Gate DVD had a Rosenberg interview. :eek1:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012