Horror Film Festivals

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Seeing Muceo13's trailer made me think of this; we should have a resource of horror-related film festivals for both filmmakers and film fans. I know there's a few filmmakers on this site, and it would be good if they knew of places to submit their films. And of course, the rest of us are fans, and what's better than a weekend dedicated to up-and-coming horror films that we haven't seen before?

So if you know of any event, feel free to post it in this thread. I'll throw in the local horror film festival here in San Diego, Horrible Imaginings. Believe it or not, I've never been, although I've hung out with the director of the fest many times, attended screenings together, etc. The website is http://www.hifilmfest.com

Bonus: No submission fees

2. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

There's a bunch of great horror film festivals out there - and most big (and small) festivals also have "midnight" programs where they showcase genre stuff.

A few of the big ones:

Fantastic Fest (Austin, TX)
    Screamfest (LA)
    Sitges (Spain)
    FrightFest (UK)
    Fantasia (Montreal)

For more European genre festivals, check out Melies - The European Fantastic Film Festival Federation

One of my favorite niche-within-a-niche festivals is
    Fears for Queers - which caters to gay horror film audiences

There's a BUNCH of others. And like I said, most of the big "regular" festivals like SXSW have great midnight programs as well!

3. deepred

deepred Member

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Whoa, is this new? I have not heard of it before.

Is it local submissions only or a mix?

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Sader Ridge, the film I wrote/produced, has been playing at festivals since March. Some horror specific, some indie specific. Here are the horror fests we've played at or will be playing at:

The International Horror & Sci-Fi Film Festival (Phoenix, AZ)

Crypticon Film Festival (Seattle, WA) Horror Convention & Film Festival

Fright Night Film Fest (Louisville, KY) Horror Convention & Film Festival

Dark Carnival Film Festival (Columbus, IN)

I'll update the list as we hear back from more throughout the rest of summer and fall.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The Nevermore Festival,Durham N.C.

7. sinister

sinister Active Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

For those of you fine folks in Toronto or LA, there's a short film that I shot, LIEBE (LOVE), that will be playing at the Toronto After Dark and the Shriekfest Film Festivals this month.

If you're able to go to either festival I'd love to hear your thoughts on our little monster movie!

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Thats's awesome! Do you know what film your short will be playing in front of?

11. fattyjoe37

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Not yet, but it will be playing on Wednesday, so that narrows it down to either before FOUND or EVIL FEED.

13. fattyjoe37

The Invoking will be playing at the Shockerfest International Film Festival, which takes place from October 15th-31st. The festival will air on the Internet TV Station CVML-TV and simulcast on www.shockerfest.net from October 15th-31st.

The link below is where you will be able to watch The Invoking when it streams as part of the festival. The showings will happen at around 8:10 PM PDT on October 18th, 24th, and 29th with repeats throughout each day. For right now you can view the entire festival schedule via the link as well as see what programming usually plays on internet TV, which at this time appears to be endless photography commercials.

http://www.shockerfest.net/watchschedule.html

When the festival begins on 10/15, a survey will go up where viewers can vote for their favorites. The film with the most votes will win the festival's audience award.

14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The AFI Silver Theater in Silver Spring ,Maryland is running a great lineup of horror films now though November.Besides screenings of silent classics THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA(new print) and NOSFERATU (both with live organ score) and faves like GHOSTBUSTERS and THE HAUNTING,there will also be a collection of horrors released in 1973 (40th Anniversary).Titles include SISTERS,THEATRE OF BLOOD,THE VAULT OF HORROR,THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE,LEMORA:A CHILDS TALE OF THE SUPERNATURAL ,GANJA AND HESS (newly restored),THE CREEPING FLESH,AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS,THE ASPHYX,MESSIAH OF EVIL,THE KILLING KIND,TORSO(uncut),SOYLENT GREEN and the restored THE WICKER MAN.

16. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

My film Child Eater is playing there! Whoop!

17. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Congrats. It looks like it'll be a pretty awesome lineup. I used to live within walking distance of the theater and only live about 10 - 15 minutes away now, but will not be able to attend to due to family commitments that weekend.

The theater itself is pretty cool. It was undergoing expansion the last time I was there. Offfice chair seating and a full service bar. I'm not really a big fan of the food they serve and I'd probably avoid the popcorn.

The schedule they posted is kind of a nightmare on the eyes, so here's a reformatted schedule:

18. thehellyousay

thehellyousay New Member

Knoxville horror Film Fest is this weekend!

http://www.knoxvillehorrorfest.com/
    "By far our biggest event ever, the 2013 Knoxville Horror Film Festival runs October 25-27 for an entire weekend of genre madness and ferocious fun!

FRIDAY 10/25 at RELIX VARIETY THEATRE
    KHHFV Opening Night kicks things off with our initial burst of short films and the booze-drenched creature comedy GRABBERS!

SATURDAY 10/26 at REGAL DOWNTOWN WEST CINEMA 8
    KHFFV's main event runs all day, beginning with the heartfelt monster-in-the-butt comedy BAD MILO!, Ben Wheatley's period head-trip A FIELD IN ENGLAND, and Bobcat Goldthwait's intimate Sasquatch thriller WILLOW CREEK! (Each feature is paired with a program of short films.) Then we'll top things off with the 2013 KHFF Grindhouse Grind-out, our timed filmmaking competition that tasks teams with making a three minute Grindhouse-style trailer from a super-specific assigned genre.

SUNDAY 10/27 at RELIX VARIETY THEATRE
    Our Awards Party free-for-all kicks off with the mad science terror of FRANKENSTEIN'S ARMY and culminates in KHFFV's awards ceremony, where we name the best of the festival and the winners of the Grindhouse Grind-out! We'll also be having a costume party and more fun TBA!"