Horror Film of the decade thus far

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Mar 14, 2005.

?

Best of the decade so far

1. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

13.8%
  2. The Others (2001)

3.1%
  3. Saw (2004)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dawn of the Dead (2004)

6.2%
  5. Frailty (2001)

4.6%
  6. The Devil's Backbone (2001)

6.2%
  7. The Ring (2002)

1.5%
  8. 28 Days Later... (2002)

4.6%
  9. House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

4.6%
  10. Kaïro (2001)

1.5%
  11. The Eye (2002)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. May (2002)

1.5%
  13. Haute Tension (2003)

10.8%
  14. Ju-on: The Grudge (2003)

3.1%
  15. Dark Water (2002)

1.5%
  16. Ginger Snaps (2000)

6.2%
  17. Dog Soldiers (2002)

10.8%
  18. Session 9 (2001)

6.2%
  19. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

6.2%
  20. Other (specify)

7.7%
  1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, to be fair, didn't Army of Darkness do well in the last poll? Surely no-one found that remotely horrific either - that's just a comedy too. Maybe it's a trend, people actually do ultimately prefer a horror/comedy over the purer stuff?

2. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Could be. But I'm a purist in that case. The horror that really resonates with me, and becomes classic is the stuff that is most visceral and avoids camp.

While I don't dislike AOD, the series had become pure camp and I'd hardly consider it the best of the three.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I'm no judge - I think AOD is pretty close to total disposable garbage. What they did to that franchise ought to be a crime :D

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

It's almost like there are two types of horror fans one that watches horror films because they enjoy getting scared and maybe even a little bit disturbed, preferring their horror more serious and to the point, and then there's the type of horror fan that wants to have a good time watching horror films and watches for the gore and comedy and prefers that the films don't take themselves too seriously. Personally I think no matter how much I enjoyed a horror film, if it didn't scare me or at least make me feel a sense of dread. It ultimately didn't do it's job.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

And of course, there are folks who like both. It isn't as clean split as all that. I don't think it is unreasonable to think someone can enjoy Return of the Living Dead one day and Audition the next. There is room for camp and more serious horror in my collection. It's all good.

6. Gomez

Gomez Guest

I'd definetely say Freddy vs. Jason...no mention of that? then Haute tension, Cabin Fever, May, Shaun of the Dead, Saw, The Eye, Wrong Turn, Dog Solidiers, The Ring. Red Eye and Murder Set Pieces look like there gonna be decent.

7. Gomez

Gomez Guest

Yeah I like all types of horror...everything from ROTLD to Psycho to Cannical Holocaust to Dead Alive to Audition to The Exorcist to Leprechaun to the Jasons and Freddys to Nekromonatik to Scream to Shaun of the Dead to Phantasm to Eraserhead to Bad taste ...I have a variety of tastes in everything especially horror

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--And of course, there are folks who like both.--

Oh sure, I certainly never intended to suggest otherwise. The thing is though, when going for a favorite - humor seems to be winning out. It's not about whether these people watch anything, it's just about what they would choose given a choice. Here there's a choice, and horror/comedy seems to be winning. If they were truly the best horror had to offer in a decade (and let's be real, this is just a goofy poll), it would certainly be extremely sad that the most heralded titles were basically goof-offs.

I've not see Shaun, but AOD is like a desperate search for a "memorable one-liner".

9. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

'Frailty' - it gave me a good case of the wim-wams.

10. zuvembie

zuvembie Member

My vote goes to "The Others". It's old school horror/suspense charm won me over. "The Devil's Backbone" and "Ginger Snaps" are a close second and third.

I think I need to check out "Haute Tension". I'd never heard of it until I started lurking around this forum. Is it foreign? I guess I could always go to imdb and find out.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's French :)

12. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Exactly.

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

actually I am exactly 50/50 on which kind of Horror film I like. it all comes down to if it's a good movie and what kind of mood I'm in at the time when choosing a movie. Some days i'm in the mood for comedy and light horror like Shaun of the Dead, other times I'm looking for more visceral scares without the humour like Ringu or Open Water.

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I understand - my point is that AOD is a comedy, with some horror elements. I certainly wouldn't consider it a horror film though - there's just no horror in it. Simply having a monster in somethng doesn't make it a horror film, some sense of menace has to be there. AOD has none of that. As I said, I've yet to see Shaun, can't speak for that. AOD is merely a comedy with a couple of horror elements thrown in for laughs. Therefore, it can't be the "best horror film". :)

15. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I reckon you should have joined in dwatts, and had a good time. When you're talking most people having a whooping good time at a movie (AOD) and choosing it as best horror movie of the 90s, I think we have to concede it was you that was at fault. ;)

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I watched it alone - and therefore, I did join in. :D

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Seriously, that just sounds dirty.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Erm.... I watched it alone.... and I did join in with the rest of the audience, and it was not laughing or whooping. Therefore, I was in compliance with the general mood of this viewing experience?

19. betterdan

betterdan Guest

So you watched it alone and joined in with an audience? :eek2:
    Have you tried to seek help for your hallucinations? Drugs are bad mmmmkay?

20. Luna

Luna Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: