Horror Film of the decade thus far

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Mar 14, 2005.

?

Best of the decade so far

1. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

13.8%
  2. The Others (2001)

3.1%
  3. Saw (2004)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dawn of the Dead (2004)

6.2%
  5. Frailty (2001)

4.6%
  6. The Devil's Backbone (2001)

6.2%
  7. The Ring (2002)

1.5%
  8. 28 Days Later... (2002)

4.6%
  9. House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

4.6%
  10. Kaïro (2001)

1.5%
  11. The Eye (2002)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. May (2002)

1.5%
  13. Haute Tension (2003)

10.8%
  14. Ju-on: The Grudge (2003)

3.1%
  15. Dark Water (2002)

1.5%
  16. Ginger Snaps (2000)

6.2%
  17. Dog Soldiers (2002)

10.8%
  18. Session 9 (2001)

6.2%
  19. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

6.2%
  20. Other (specify)

7.7%
  1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--So you watched it alone and joined in with an audience?--

Let me get this straight, when you watch a movie, there's no audience? Have you tried to seek help for your hallucinations? Drugs are bad mmmmkay?

For me, if someone is watching it, there's an audience. I joined in with said audience, which was myself, and held myself together quite well. Still, AOD does play out like a fever dream :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  2. betterdan

betterdan Guest

So you haven't seeked help I take it. An audience is more than 1 person to me, and how exactly do you join in with yourself? Out of body experiences now? :eek2: Drugs are still bad mmmkay?

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- and how exactly do you join in with yourself?--

Well, that's not such an unusual question from a guy who dislikes lesbians :D Basically, in this case, when the audience moved left, I moved left. When the audience sipped their cup of tea, I sipped my cup of tea. We breathed in unison. Sometimes schizophrenics can't pull it off. I had no such issue.

Now, "audience" means "The act of hearing or attending", which I was doing. Are you saying that if a movie plays in a theater, and only one person is in the audience, then there is no audience at all?

I think you're already on drugs, good or bad :D

Oh, and we're dangerously close to taking this thread way off topic, so I'll leave you with that ;)

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Exactly. To put it in perspective, it's like if we did a "best horror" poll of the 70s, and out of all of the choices (The Exorcist, Halloween, TCM, The Omen, etc) more people chose "Love at First Bite". That would be idiotic. I'm not saying that LaFB isn't a great movie (I actually think it's one of the best all around movies of the period), but just because George Hamilton stars as Count Dracula doesn't qualify it as a horror movie.

Naturally, people have more "fun" when watching comedies, or "horror-comedies" over the straight stuff, that's what comedies are made for. But when the majority of audience start thinking that the "fun" factor is more important than the "scare" factor when it comes to horror movies, then the genre is in deep, deep trouble.

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Ahh so you have to like lesbians to join in with yourself? I see now :eek2:

I like this definition of audience better...
    a gathering of spectators or listeners at a (usually public) performance.

No I don't think one person watching a movie in a theater is an audience. It is just someone watching a movie. If there is 1 tree in your yard is that a forest?

6. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Yes maybrick but just because you don't like what others choose doesn't make it idiotic. That's what is great about polls, people can choose what they like instead of what maybrick or even dwatts likes.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

What's great about forums is that people can express their opinions, even if others don't agree. Just because you don't think it is idiotic, doesn't mean it isn't (see how diferent opinions work?) Personally, I agree with Maybrick (man - now we have an AUDIENCE! :D) it IS idiotic for a comedy to be highly praised as a horror film. Of course, I expect you to disagree, as a lot of people clearly do. I have no issue with that at all, it's enlightening, in fact. And as you say, it's interesting to see in a poll. Still, it doesn't change anything for me, AOD isn't a horror film. Gigli, but all accounts, is pretty horrible, and perhaps would be the only cross-genre film that might work :D

8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Just keep repeating to yourself ..It's only a movie...It's only a movie...It's only a movie...

9. maybrick

What I like or what I don't like isn't the basis for my argument. I have no qualms with anyone who believes AOD, Shawn of the Dead, or Love at First Bite are good movies. I happen to agree with them but I also don't have any qualms with anyone who dislikes those movies, either. And of course people can choose what they like. No duh. Where do you draw the line at what's idiocy and what's not? Personally, I think it's when a person is given a choice between A, B, and C and instead they choose 9. Like if you're asked "What's your favorite Chinese food?" and you answer "Bangers and Mash" with complete seriousness. Idiocy. Or when asked "What's your favorite horror film?" saying "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" or worse, "Kramer Vs. Kramer". That explains what they like, but by answering like that, it avoids the question all together.

But judging that you chose Frailty over Shawn of the Dead, it appears that you're arguing solely for the sake of arguing, so I'm backing out of this conversation.

10. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Would it make you feel better if the poll was titled favorite horror or horror related movie of the decade?Different people have different definitions of what is or isn't a horror movie.I bet just about any video store you walk into would have Army of Darkness in their horror section.It's Evil Dead 3.Who cares if it's funny.

11. maybrick

Oh, and by the way, I don't think choosing Shawn of the Dead as the best horror movie of the decade is idiotic. Unlike AOD, it has genuinely scary moments. I only used the term "idiotic" in the context of choosing Love at First Bite over any one of the genuine horror classics of the 70s.

12. maybrick

And you could walk into any video store and find probably 100 movies misplaced in the wrong categories. Most movies are placed where they are based on the title and cover and not the contents. "Celia: Child of Terror" is always found in the horror section, yet it should properly be in the drama section right next to "Heavenly Creatures". People have different definitions, but again, where do you draw the line? Sesame Street is loaded to the gills with monsters. Elmo is technically a monster. So why not put "Elmo in Grouchland" in with the horror titles?

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's not that "Evil Dead 3" is funny - it's that it doesn't have any horror. "Young Frankenstein" isn't horror either, even though it uses themes. Of course, this is just an opinion. I hope to catch up with Shaun soon to determine how I feel it fits.

I wouldn't change the poll at all, that's not really the point though. AOD might well be a funny spoof, it might be the best EVER spoof. However, it fails horribly as a HORROR film. At least for me.

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I am discussing AOD because someone brought it up in this thread. Remember, I am not the one who admitted to baiting people. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  15. maybrick

Only in political threads because they're worthless anyways, and not with "people", just with "you". Because you're so special. ;)

Now lets quit with the pissing contests and get back to the subject at hand...

16. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

SHAUN is more along the lines of RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD. Those two are pretty much the only horror comedies I can stand, because they work both as horror films and as comedies. It leans toward comedy a little bit more than ROTLD, but moments of it are frightening enough that you feel emotion for the characters, which is my basic rule for whether a horror film is any good or not. If you don't really care what happens to the characters, it doesn't work as a horror film [or probably as any kind of film.] That's the main reason I hated HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES.

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Bump - This has been holding at 97 votes for way too long there must be some people who haven't voted that get get us to 100 votes.

18. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

There's one more for your count, for Devil's Backbone.

Serious consideration was given to Frailty, The Eye, Ju-on, Session 9, and especially Dark Water. And how did Bubba Ho-Tep, Jeepers Creepers, and Dagon miss the list (and probably a couple others I don't immediately remember) ? IMO they'd all hit the list long before House of 1000 Corpses, Saw, or Dawn of the Dead.

Not to pass judgement (okay, maybe I am), but the poll results seriously look like a case of people familiar with only a couple, mostly USA theater released, choices on the list. Its a problem with polls like this - many of the results end up being "I've only seen a few of the well known ones, I'll mark one of those". I'd be curious what the results would be if the poll rules limited input (obviously by request only) to people who had seen around 75+% of the films on the list. Kind of hard to make a choice on what's best, even given its just an opinion thing, when you're experience is limited to just a few. Hershey bars taste like pretty good chocolate if thats the only chocolate you've ever tasted.

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

It was tough to pick a main 19 films but since no film has recieved more then one "other" vote while House of 1000 Corpses and Dawn of the Dead have recieved four each. I still stand by my choices. Although i did consider the three films you mentioned at the end of the day for one reason or an other i didn't feel they cracked the top 19. The case though can still be made for SAW being a mistake and even The Eye (Even though i would rank it as the 2nd best horror film of the decade) as they haven't recieved any votes as of yet. If anything the film i regret excluding the most is Open Water and maybe even Signs.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

After 100 Votes....

1.Shaun of the Dead (2004) ............20
    2.Ginger Snaps (2000)..................... 9
    2.Dog Soldiers (2002) ..................... 9
    4.Haute Tension (2003) .................. 8
    5.Frailty (2001).............................. 7
    6.Session 9 (2001) ..........................6
    7.28 Days Later... (2002)................. 5
    7.A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) ..........5