Horror Film of the decade thus far

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Mar 14, 2005.

?

Best of the decade so far

1. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

13.8%
  2. The Others (2001)

3.1%
  3. Saw (2004)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dawn of the Dead (2004)

6.2%
  5. Frailty (2001)

4.6%
  6. The Devil's Backbone (2001)

6.2%
  7. The Ring (2002)

1.5%
  8. 28 Days Later... (2002)

4.6%
  9. House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

4.6%
  10. Kaïro (2001)

1.5%
  11. The Eye (2002)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. May (2002)

1.5%
  13. Haute Tension (2003)

10.8%
  14. Ju-on: The Grudge (2003)

3.1%
  15. Dark Water (2002)

1.5%
  16. Ginger Snaps (2000)

6.2%
  17. Dog Soldiers (2002)

10.8%
  18. Session 9 (2001)

6.2%
  19. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

6.2%
  20. Other (specify)

7.7%
  1. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I voted for A Tale of Two Sisters, but had I seen Haute Tension when I voted, I am not sure which of those I would have voted for. Hmm...

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

i've actually seen a lot of the films on this list and still voted for Shaun just because it's a great movie IMHO. I can agree that there are probably some people who have only seen a few of these movies and voted accordingly, but I also think it might just have something to do with people genuinely liking the movies they voted for even if they've seen the other ones. I can think of a lot of movies from the list and alternates that I would've liked to vote for, but you only get one vote.
    ...did Dog Soldiers, Session 9, and Haute Tension get a theatrical release? I only discovered them on DVD and don't recall seeing them available in theatres. but I'm forgetful.....

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I know these polls aren't perfect. The best way would most likely be a combination KGBRadioMoskow 75% suggestion along with people being allowed to pick maybe your top five with your top votes counting for the most points and going down from there (Although I have the feeling the result wouldn’t change much). The good thing I think that comes out of these polls is it introduces people to films they may have overlooked or maybe never even heard of.

4. maskull

yeah that is a good thing about these things. there were a couple of flicks that I'd heard of before but never been too excited about. now i want to see them. and besides, even if this isn't an accurate poll, it's still fun to do isn't it? :D
    ...and for the record I think Shaun would still be at the #1 spot.

5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Dog Soldiers: don't know if it got a British theater release, certainly not in the US except perhaps some indy theaters. Did get played, and played, and replayed, and played some more on the Sci Fi channel.

Session 9: yes, didn't last long though.

Haute Tension: to my knowledge, only (possibly limited) screenings in Europe. Supposedly due for US theater release on June 3rd. Shades of Asian "hard core adicts already have in on DVD by the time it hits US theaters" horror films, and on that note if you want this one in the near future you'd best fetch it before the license Nazies crack down on US sellers, ala House of Flying Daggers.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  6. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

That is one of the best reasons for such lists, although there is something sad when so many of those films are indeed so unknown.

On the other hand, call me a purist on the issue. If I haven't seen a majority of the choices, I won't vote on which one I think is best. I don't like making "uninformed" judgement calls on what is "best", it just feels dishonest. Like showing up at the tail end of a beauty contest and voting for one of the last three contestants. Which is why the 60's list isn't one I'll vote on.

As for Shaun of the Dead, to each their own I guess. I like horror comedy. I thought Return of the Living Dead was spot on. Dead Alive is IMO still tops on the list. Shaun of the Dead was a fun ride, even picked it up on DVD afterwards. But I noticed it took a while to get around to a second viewing, as the "lets see that again" factor wasn't there and got less so as time went by. And after finally watching it again I only confirmed for me that it didn't have any long term legs. As "recent" zombie send ups go, Bio Zombie and Cemetery Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) both outclassed Shaun of the Dead in my book, those two will definitely get more repeat viewings.

Not that a lack of desire to see a movie again is always a bad sign. I think Dark Water was brilliant, but it was so depressing that I'm not keen to see it again. Much like Affliction - excellent movie, very glad I saw it, and something I've got absolutely no desire to ever experience (suffer through) again.

7. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Yeah, I haven't voted on the 70's or any of the earlier decades as I haven't seen a lot of them. For 70's I'd go The Exorcist, 60's - NOTLD, 50's - Eyes Without A Face. As for the rest I really haven't seen more than 2 films on the lists so I'm really unqualified on those (40's, 30's, 20's (I know the polls haven't gotten this far yet, but they probably will).

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I Know it's a little late but I noticed I never added any options for "Other". So i put a bunch of them on the opening post if you haven't yet voted.

9. maskull

hmm, there's actually quite a few great movies from this decade so far. and since you took the time to list others, here's the ones from that list that i really liked. of course i haven't seen them all yet. there's some i really want to see....anyway:
    Identity (2003)
    Visitor Q (2002)
    Battle Royale (2000)
    Ichi the Killer (2001)
    Donnie Darko (2001)
    Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)
    Suicide Circle (2002)
    Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
    Dead End (2003)
    Pitch Black (2000)
    Final Destination (2000)
    Final Destination 2 (2003)
    Ginger Snaps: Unleashed (2004)
    Freeze Me (2000)
    Wrong Turn (2003)
    American Psycho (2000)

and once again, you forgot Open Water. tsk, tsk. :)

10. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I wouldn't really say American Psycho is a horror movie but it is one of my favourite films ever.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Did i forget it again dam! Ok i'll add it now and it's going at the top of the list.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005