Horror Film of the Week, Darga's pick: 'Messiah of Evil'

Discussion in 'General' started by Darga, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I just stumbled across this film myself a year or so ago mentioned in a thread on this very site and was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Some great creepy set pieces and atmosphere- I couldn't believe I had never heard of it or seen it before. The only drawback is all the DVD editions out there are pretty bad full-screen versions. I have the Messiah of Evil/Devil's Nightmare double feature from Diamond Entertainment (ugh!) but it is watchable though. Would love to see this get a proper widescreen release someday but not counting on it.

Hopefully everyone hasn't already seen this, I'm looking forward to viewing it again myself.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Good Pick Dargo I've never seen it but heard allot about it. I'm just not sure where the hell i'm going to find this:)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Already Picked..

Ash28m - Sheitan (2006)
    boycrieswolf - Mark of the Devil (1970)
    BroodingHope - Hour of the Wolf (1968)
    Darga - Messiah of Evil (1973)

Next up...

dcrw6 - Monday April 1st
    DrHerbertWest
    HAEMORRHAGE
    Livingdead102
    maybrick
    Midnight Buddha
    Morally Sound
    x666x
    X-human
    zompirejoe
    thrashard76
    Enutz666
    Spitfire
    DeathDealer
    Matt89
    Kippoe

Any participant who hasn't made their pick within 24 hours of it being your turn (unless you let us know before hand) will forfeit their turn and we will go on to the next person on the list.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Last time I knew, anybody can download it for free at www.publicdomaintorrents.com

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

6. maybrick

Don't thank me. Thank Luna. She's the one that pointed it out to us last year.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's fitting that someone named Luna supplied information on a surreal movie about the moon and insanity.

Just watched the Alpha Video DVD (paired up with Sisters of Death) and I found it to be highly enjoyable. There's a lot of great stuff in there and something of a cross between Night of the Living Dead and Charles Manson. It's clearly inspired by Invaders From Mars but is almost a precursor to Suspiria as well.

But it's strange that while the script itself seems to be well written (there's always just enough there to keep the viewer's interest and overflowing with great ideas) the plot itself is rather flimsy and its execution is half ass. I wonder if it was all quickly rewritten to change those plot points? All the suspenseful scenes are a slow boil with extensive set ups but then the plot elements are often just a few shots with barely enough coverage the get its ideas across and mostly voice overs to fill in the details.

Very nice pick. Reminds me to watch Invisible Invaders, it's along the same lines as Invaders From Mars.

8. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Watched it this morning. This is another late night favorite of mine. Great atmosphere, some genuinely creepy scenes, and again with the crazy music. Loved it, another great pick ! This is a film that is really deserving of a re-mastered dvd special edition. A true drive-in horror classic.

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

*sigh* Luna... :(

Messiah of Evil is amazing. Want atmosphere? Look no further. It's one of my all time faves.

10. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I love the Anitra Ford grocery store scene.

11. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

Cool movie...Especially liked the aforementioned grocery store scene. It has one of my favorite movie theater scenes as well.

12. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

That is a fantastic Messiah of Evil poster by the way !

13. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

From all the comments here it sounds like this is really good. I've never seen it. Unfortunately this looks like it's going to be a bit harder to track down for me...I'll have to see if my buddy can download it for me. I'll to get a hold of this asap, but I may not be able to find it in time to participate...oh well, if not, at least I've got something to look forward to! This is turning out to be a most eclectic list of horror films!

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes, I've been most impressed with the entire list so far. It's putting some pressure on me to think of a good title for my week. I felt pretty good about what I was going to choose after the first two then someone picked a Bergman and that really raised the standards.

15. Spit

Spit Active Member

Has anyone had luck with the version from the link www.publicdomaintorrents.com ?

I'm downloading it now, and my estimated time is 197 hours.... now my connection is hardly lightning fast, but still that seems more then a little long.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  16. maybrick

Yeah, that can be a problem with this site. Sometimes you get lucky. The more seeders there are, the faster it downloads, and usually it's only the owner of the site that's doing the seeding.

17. Lucio Romero

Lucio Romero Member

Yes, one of my favourite scenes from any horror movie. One has to wonder if Romero saw this scene and if it served as an inspiration for Dawn. Great horror film, plus it's got Elisha Cook from Salem's Lot, how can you go wrong ?. It is a bit slow in some parts though.

LUCIO!!!!

18. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Just gave this a spin (from the Chilling Classics 50 Movie Pack). 2nd time I've seen it and I think I enjoyed it even more this time. I get a real Carnival Of Souls vibe off of this one - there's this quiet sense of dread throughout, and some incredibly creepy moments. The grocery scene is fantastic and I love it in the cinema when
    the guy in the front row turns around just as the lights dim
    ..VERY creepy.

Now if there's anything I'd like more than a decent DVD release of this, it's for someone to paint a great big escalator on my loungeroom wall!

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Finally caught up with this last night and very much enjoyed it. I actually liked the cinema scene better then the grocery story scene and it did also remind me of Carnival of Souls. The plot I guess was kind of flimsy but I'm really starting to care less and less about the plot and story of horror films and starting to look more at the overall affect, especially the atmosphere and tone. Does the film affect me an emotional or physiological level. It's in that framework that I think this succeeds. It has great creepy imagery, an offbeat score and just an overall early 70's Manson Family almost psychedelic vibe. They don't make films that have that feel anymore.

Nice Pick Darga.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

dcrw6 - Will you be making your pick today?