Horror films you liked as a kid. but didn't hold up as an adult??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Aug 20, 2016.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Here's 3 off the bat. saw The Boogey Man on the movie channel in summer of 1983 at age 10, liked it a lot, thought it had good gore ect.. creepy, Rented it again in 1989 and it didn't hold up at all, it was almost like it wasn't the same movie I saw in 83, another is funeral home, same summer. 83 on the movie channel, liked it a lot, even seen it like 3 times that summer, rented it in 92 and it lost its charm and looked really dated and dark and didn't know what I had seen in it back then. Anyone else chime in??

2. ronnie21

Another one is The Burning, movie channel again R rated version, which at the time I didn't know it was a cut version , loved it. scared the hell out of me and that raft scene was left field. Now rented it in 1991 and didn't hold up the raft scene wasn't as effective as it was in 83 but I really couldn't get in to it as a 20 year old. Now. got it again uncut on shouts bluray and liked it again and once I found out about the making of and all the triva behind the scenes, I appreciated it much more.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I actually just watched The Boogey Man this year and I think it holds up quite well. The Burning, on the other hand, is poo. It's sleazy, so I'm not saying that it has nothing to offer certain viewers. But it's not smart. It's exploitative, gloppy, stankin'. Not for people who yearn for transformative qualities in their horror.

I didn't really see horror movies as a kid. My mom let me watch a few of them with her, but I never expected those to hold up (Children of the Corn, Audrey Rose, The Legacy) (she loved supernatural horror). I had to "liberate" myself on my own, which required HBO and Cinemax and my parents to be working a lot which they did and not home a lot which they weren't. But I think most of those films actually hold up (Killer Klowns from Outer Space, There's Nothing Out There, Class of Nuke 'Em High).

The exceptions are stuff like Munchies, Demonic Toys, and Ghoulies 2. And, I know some won't agree but, Halloween II. Not that I thought these were great movies either. They were just the gateway drug to films that my mom did not watch because she thought her tastes were classier.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, good topic Ronnie. The one that jumps out at me is The Beast Within. I mean, I still like it, but nowhere near the level I did when it would come on Showtime back in the 80s. The thing that stands out at me now is, (and slight spoilers ahead), the original guy was forced to be a cannibal, and that turned him into a locust??

5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

New Wave Hookers.

Doesn't hold up for me. Mainly because all I plow is garbage monsters (fat smelly chicks) so seeing beautiful people screw upsets me.

6. ronnie21

New wave hookers, the best you ever seen!! I should be a shamed knowing those lyrics!! ha ha ha

Yes, the beast within was another one. loved It in April of 1983 seeing it on every cable channel a dozen times, and rented it in the early 90's and just didn't hold up too good.. Amazing how we see things at different times in our lives..

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  7. ronnie21

Another one is Slumber Party Massacre, seen in spring 85 on the movie channel and never even heard of it till me and my friend happen to sumble upon it from the middle till the end and thought it was quiet gory, then I rented it on video in summer of 1990 and thought it looked extremely dated and had really bad acting. It did not seem like the same good movie I seen in 1985. just 5 years later, although it was filmed on a stringshoe budget in July 1981. The I broke down and got shouts bluray and I appreciate it more now after all the research on the making and how it came to be. Found out too that it played a few blocks from my house in sept of 1982 on a double bill with class of 84.. how interesting.. both only last one week only..

8. DVD-fanatic-9

Agreed with Slumber Party Massacre, although the ending is superb. It waits way too long to reveal its feminist roots- but that ending certainly leaves no question. If only the rest of the film had been as good as the ending. But it's such a bland movie.

9. ronnie21

Yeah something about seeing a bunch of 30 year old women portray high girls kinda doesn't sit too well..

othervoice1 and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  10. DVD-fanatic-9

How's this?

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Most at least I can kind of mentally go back to my kid self and enjoy.

I kind of refuse to see the Hearse because as a kid it was all dreamy and scary but I'm sure it won't hold up.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Honestly, I can't think of a single one that disappoints. I think I tend to keep my childhood favorites in high regard, mainly because I always try to view older films with the time period in mind. Movies like SLAUGHTER HIGH remind me of staying up late at my neighbor's house, eating junk food, and having a great time bouncing off the walls--past midnight!!! No, they may not "hold up" to adult scrutiny but I don't think it was meant to, nor should it have to.

Having said that, if it was something that I didn't see until adulthood (like CHEERLEADER CAMP), yeah, they aren't so great. :D

Kim Bruun likes this.
  13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Well said. I honestly tried to come up with a movie relevant to the topic and I had difficulty. Any movie I could come up with would have been a stretch. Nostalgia? Or did I always just have the amazing ability to sniff out a shitty movie? I'm going with the latter. :)

14. Marclar

Marclar Member

Class of 1999. I used to love this one. For some reason, it just doesn't go down well anymore. I couldn't believe myself when I had to turn it off half way through.

15. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

So many:

The Initiation
    Ghoulies
    Sleepaway Camp
    Slumber Party Massacre
    He Knows You're Alone
    Amityville 3-D
    Octaman
    Dracula 79
    The Giant Spider Invasion
    Fulci's Zombi
    Fulci's House By The Cemetery
    Prom Night
    Happy Birthday To Me
    Evil Toons
    The Uncanny

I agree with The Boogey Man and The Beast Within.

Just some off the top of my head, and I know there are some unpopular choices there but just my subjective opinion.
    Maybe I've just seen some of these too many times and cannot sit through them anymore.

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

This makes me sad for you. So you get no enjoyment out of these anymore? None? :(

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  17. DVD-fanatic-9

Please tell me no one has an attachment to Amityville III.

Just in case I haven't said it enough times, Zombie would be more than Fulci's finest if it weren't for that Jeep crash. What a cheap, spineless way to render your characters helpless. Robs the entire ending of any power it might have had.

18. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Are you entirely sure you like horror films?? LOL. :D . I actually never saw the 1979 version of Dracula until a few years ago and I really liked it. It had a great cast of high profile actors for it's time. Actually, there are only a few I would disagree with..He Knows You're Alone..still love it and Prom Night depending on what version you mean. I still love the 1980 flick with Jamie Lee Curtis but the remake is crap. I am also having a tough time really coming up with titles for this thread.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Man..... I love me some Sleepaway Camp. I actually enjoy this more every time I watch it. The sequels are a riot too.

"Where I come from, we call them baldies" hahahahahahaha

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The only one that I can think of is The Watcher in the Woods. It freaked me out at the movies when I was 6 years old, but then I didn't see it again until Anchor Bay put it out on DVD 20 years later. It was still kind of spooky, but the lead girl's acting totally ruined it for me.