Horror films you liked as a kid. but didn't hold up as an adult??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

It's all good and my response was not directed at you either.
    Just wanted to clarify that I'm not some old burnout filled with contempt for a genre I once loved. As a matter of fact I still watch ample horror films both at home and in theaters, however at 43 with no shortage of commitments I have to be selective in how I spend my time. If something no longer ignites that passion I once had I tend to gloss it over in favor of something I still find exciting.
    We've always been on good terms here, and the respect is mutual.

DVD-fanatic-9 and MisterTwister like this.
  2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I completely understand :)

Anthropophagus likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Thing is, I really wish, that I could go back in time, to the period, where I used to love these movies.
    I miss the feeling I got, when watching those films in my youth.
    But sadly, no matter how hard I try to go back, I just can't replicate the magic :(

I really don't wanna step on anyone's toes here.
    If you still love these movies, then good for you mate :)

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

People online aren't still living out their 80's-never-died fantasies?

I wasn't aware of that.

5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Not even New Nightmare?

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

If people think the 90's was such a barren, toothless time for horror, I have no idea why they would herald New Nightmare so fervently. If it weren't for the kid-in-peril trope people like Gene Siskel found so morally abhorrent, the film would be an easy PG-13. (By today's standards, even moreso.)

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Not at all. I hated it when I first saw it in the theaters way back when. I've had a crush on Heather Langenkamp since I first saw the original, but not even she could save this film for me.

Freddy's look bothered me and honestly, the kid was creepier. I think I've said this here before, but Freddy's makeup was distractingly bad from NOES 5 through Freddy vs. Jason imo.

The series is still special to me and like Steel76 said, it was a great time for horror back then. I was lucky enough to meet Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp, Ronee Blakely, Amanda Wyss and John Saxon at a convention several years back. Jsu Garcia (Nick Corri) was supposed to attend but he had to cancel. They all exceeded my expectations. They were so wonderful and pleasant to talk to. It's amazing how much that adds to the film. I met most of the original Star Wars actors (not the main ones) over the years and had less of a positive experience. That sticks with me as well. Kenny Baker was terrific though. May he rest in peace.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I saw 4 opening night and it was when the franchise died for me. Too jokey, too bright, too formula.

I like New Nightmare as an idea, as a concept and as a warm-up act for Scream, but it's awful stiff.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I've had the same exact experience with many films. I bought Slithis and rewatched and got my fill. I think one of the reasons why you might possible still like watching certain films more is the level of the acting and production placed into those films. For example, practically any Hammer film is re-watchable because you have to invest yourself more fully in their films. Every nuance of the actors, the set design, the settings and locations are so well done that when re-watching them, you see things that you missed the first time around. I've found myself watching Hammer films over and over again just to see how they staged the sets or the d├ęcor that was used in films that are more of a period piece. When you watch Slithis, it's pretty cut and dry. Monster come out of the water, kills somebody and every house looks the same and they die in same way .Sometimes it just depends on the mood I'm in as well. Maybe The Capture of Bigfoot is just what I feel like watching because I like creepy films that take place in the forest and on that particular day, that's what struck my fancy. The older I get, the more I appreciate Hammer, the Universal monster series of the 30-50's and films like The Exorcist, Black Christmas, Halloween, The Shining, etc. They are timeless. That's not the case with all horror films.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Anthropophagus and Steel76 like this.
  10. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Buck, was that convention where you met the Nightmare people the one MonsterMania they had in Connecticut a while ago? I was at that one and I think I met most all of the same people. Englund was especially friendly, and I loved meeting Langenkamp and Saxon as well. I do remember that Garcia sis not show up, so it made me think it must have been the same show. I also remember meeting a very gracious Betsy Palmer and Derek Mears there. I wish they would come back to CT!

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

There's a horror convention in CT this weekend but I didnt learn about it until yesterday. It isn't Monstermania though.
    http://www.horrornewsnetwork.net/ct-horror/

12. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Nightmare on elm street lost its cool by 1988, when part 4 came out, it was like a joke. The movie was getting in that goofy comedy direction by that point. plus. freddy mania everywhere. The song nightmare on my st that fall, merchandise. yeah. totally lost its cool, The first one was good, because,, it was scary. freddy was known more as FRED kruger, and was kept in the shadows and mysterious ..

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Yup, that's the one. I do remember meeting Betsy Palmer who was amazing. All of the Evil Dead cast members were there as well (even Hal Delrich). I was able to get them all to sign my DVD cover. I'll post a picture later today.

Steel76 and Harry Warden like this.
  14. Harry Warden

I would love to have met Betsy Palmer. She was wonderful. I've always heard that she was very nice to fans.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

She really was. Plus she always had the sweater on which was a nice touch.

The Joker and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Damn, I can't share my Evil Dead photo because my PC is down and the file is larger than 1mb on my phone.

17. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Funny story about betsy palmer, lady must have been hurting for money. I seen her a t chiller horror convention a few years before she died, and these 2 guys took a picture of her as they were walking past her table, and she got up and ran up to them and started yelling at them, that they have to give her 25$ I think it was at the time. She was explaining to them that taking her picture is illegal and costs money , but they didn't walk away and they actually gave her the money. I quess they felt bad or were scared they were gonna get in trouble. Pretty cool story and I seen the whole thing happen right in front of me.. So, that told me that she must have been not too well off fianically

Harry Warden likes this.
  18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I'll add Dawn of the Dead to this list. Seen it once in my early teen years and had a blast but watched it for the second time last night and couldn't get into it much. I didn't much enjoy the look of the dead and I thought 2+ hour runtime was probably too bloated (at least for my liking). It definitely looks a lot more dated than I remember too.

19. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to sound like I was upset by your comment. Just that I totally agree and happen to be cynical as well.

20. Harry Warden

I think that is probably true. When Gene Siskel was having his tantrums in the 1980's over slasher films, he confronted her and asked why she would do such a trash film like Friday the 13th. Her response was "Well Gene, it's like this - I like to eat". She actually did not like the film and stated many times it was trash. Rumor has it that she never planned on doing part 2, and only agreed to flashback scenes because that paid her a shitload of money to do it, and at that time, she needed a new car. I think she found out that conventions and such were a way she could make money so she would do them and make a money on the side. I say good for her. I would have paid her and I wish I could have met her. Despite her not like the films, she did a marvelous job and will go down in horror history. Live on Mrs. Voorhies.