Horror films you saw as a child that made you a genre fan?

Discussion in 'General' started by Anthropophagus, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been asked, but I am curious and could not bring up a similarly themed thread using the search function.
    So no matter how obscure or dumb what were those horror films that make up your earliest genre memories?

The Amityville Horror
    An American Werewolf in London
    Alligator
    Burnt Offerings
    The Car
    The Ivory Ape
    Octaman
    House on Haunted Hill
    Kiss Meets The Phantom of the Park
    Jaws
    The Howling
    Alien
    King Kong (1933)
    The Creeping Terror (for the sheer z grade quality of it)
    The Bride of Frankenstein
    Night of the Living Dead
    Fear No Evil
    Fulci's Zombie
    Slithis
    Brides of Dracula
    Scars of Dracula
    The Evil of Frankenstein
    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (not horror, but...)

Those are mine, off the top of my head. Also Rabid scared the hell out of me as a young kid.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Wow - well I am going to list the top 15 that jump into my head that had the greatest effect on me (not all the movies I had seen) from the age of 12 and under. My parents were kinda strict so any of these that were R rated I had to sneak and see - Poltergeist was PG and they wouldn't let me see that either. I do not think I saw Halloween until I was older then 12 - but I cant remember. Okay here is the list in no particular order:

1) The Wolfman (1941)
    2) Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) (the first R rated movie I ever saw)
    3) Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    5) Piranha (1978)
    6) Grizzly (1976)
    7) Alligator (1980)
    8) Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    9) The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
    10) The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
    11) Attack of the Mushroom People (1963)
    12) Humanoids from the Deep (1980)
    13) King Kong (1976)
    14) Jaws (1975)
    15)Poltergeist (1982)

Also Gremlins (1984) but I don't know if that really is considered a horror movie

Bonus :
    Movies I listened to through the wall when I was a young kid my parents wouldn't let me watch and STILL scared me (don't laugh its true) :
    The Shining (1980)
    Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)

3. Anthropophagus

Holy crap, your parents let you watch Humanoids from The Deep (1980)?
    I must add Piranha and the very first Friday The 13th to my list as well.
    I was six when the VHS boom started and I think often my well intentioned parents had no idea what they were renting for me, I was pretty sneaky as well though, I do remember being traumatized as Hell by I Spit On Your Grave as a pre-teen.

4. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I actually came into horror through reading first. Sort of. One Halloween my mom checked out a record from the local library of scary stories that were probably from some old radio program. (good god, that is probably the most dated sentence I have ever written)

One of the stories was Poe's "Tell Tale Heart" I got obsessed with it. Memorized it. And pretty quickly started reading all the Poe I could get my hands on. I'm guessing I was around 8 at the time. So, by the time I was 10, I had read (though probably not really comprehended) most of the classics of English horror, with a particular fondness for Dracula and Lovecraft.

And it was around then that I discovered "The 4:30 Movie" - someone else has a thread about that if you don't know what that means. So, in one year I devoured a lot of Hammer, Universal, and AIP films.

As for the ones that scared me:

Lust for the Vampire - for some reason that scene with the guy trying to climb out of the well freaked me out

Deathmaster - there's a scene at the end with leeches that gave me numerous nightmares

Unfair contender: Amityville Horror - I actually didn't see the film til I was in my teens. But my cousin told me about the scene with the flies when I was 9. And, for some weird reason there was a window in my attic that always had 30-40 flies on the window. Even before I heard about Amityville, it was always a bit freaky. But, after my cousin told me about the film, it became outright horrifying to be up there. However, once I saw the film, I found the scene to be really silly

And, while not horror - Barry's abduction in Close Encounters of the Third Kind had me crying and screaming on the floor of the theater. It was the first time I had ever been scared by a movie and it's something that I will never forget.

Additional side note: my parents believe that the first film they ever took me to was either "Kiss of the Vampire" or "Fritz the Cat" - either one would explain a lot about my psychological development.

5. othervoice1

No any R rated movies and even Poltergeist I had to "sneak" and watch at a friend's house whose parents were much more lenient. Others like Alligator and Piranha were edited for television.

And forgive me - I forgot Salem's Lot! (1979)

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I did come into horror from reading. My mom read every horror paperback there was. I still recall stuff like Halloween 3, Funhouse and Wolfen as things I read way before seeing the films (and being disappointed in all 3). Jaws was great both ways!

First films I did see were The Thing, Friday the 13th 2 (yep, before the first one) and Halloween 1&2 on TV. Friday was uncut late night though!
    It just snowballed from there. I caught all the Fridays (4 and up) and Freddys (did miss first one) in the theater, usually sneaking in. Would just watch whatever I could wherever I could since then. It got worse with dvd, and critical mass when I found this site!

I forgot to add that movies really started with Godzilla films. TV would play one everyday for week here and there at 4pm when I was like 8-10, but school got out at 3:50 and I lived a 15-20 minute walk from my school. So I would literally run home during Godzilla week!

7. othervoice1

Yea I was the same way - I saw Friday the 13th 2 before the first one- in fact it was many years later before I saw the first one. I saw part two on HBO at a friends house whose parents were very lenient- scared the crap out of me. I think I was in 2nd or 3rd grade at the time. I still think it is the best in the series to this day

8. Anthropophagus

Oh yes, those were the days when a major network like ABC would premiere a heavily edited film like Alligator, usually hyping the hell out of it beforehand with a mini trailer comprising the film's best scenes and voiced over by some ungodly deep voiced actor with catchphrases like 'Can anyone escape the terror of....Alligator'.
    All the while I'd be prepping my BASF VHS tape on my father's fifty pound steel JVC video recorder and would watch my grainy, snowy antenna fed copy about a hundred times over the next several weeks.

9. Anthropophagus

Wow, you guys reminded me of long forgotten memories from when my mom used to take me to the local library and I would devour books on Dracula, vampires and werewolves on a weekly basis.
    I did not get into horror fiction until much later, but the 'fact based' books on superstition, horror folklore and cryptozoology held tremendous appeal from a young age and predated my cinematic forays into horror by a few years as well.
    'Bigfoot' in particular was my number one childhood fascination, at least until I discovered KISS. LOL.

10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

The earliest ones I remember are:

1. Nightmare on Elm Street (Original) - I pretty sure it was cut because I didn't remember seeing nudity in the bath tub scene.

2. Friday the 13th (Not sure which one I saw first) - I remembered bits and pieces from all the movies until I watched them again when I was older. They kind of jumbled together and I couldn't pick out which scene came from which movie.

3. Halloween (Original) - Classic horror movie.

4. The Creature from the Black Lagoon - I remember this the most out of all the Universal Monster movies. But it was still kind of vague until I saw it again.

5. Ghoulies - I didn't remember the name of this movie. But I remembered a scene with a demon lady that I finally found on the other horror forum.

There were a few Twilight Zone episodes too that I consider horror but they aren't movies.

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

On TV, they played
    Prom Night,
    the Changeling,
    The Manitou
    Carrie
    the original Halloween
    and the first 2 Friday the 13ths.

So I got to see these by the time I was 8 years old back in the 80s. After these, I was not scared of watching anything anymore.

12. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I had these taped off of cable and watched them CONSTANTLY...

NOES 1-5
    F13th 1-8
    The Monster Squad
    Beetlejuice
    Aliens
    Predator
    The Blob (88)
    Child's Play 1 and 2
    Gremlins 2
    Killer Klowns From Outer Space
    Pumpkinhead

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

When I was a small child -
    The Shining
    Poltergeist
    Dressed to Kill
    Dawn of the Dead
    plus lots of Godzilla and classic Universal monster movies

as an unruly teen -
    Evil Dead II
    Re-animator
    Return of the Living Dead

14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The Shining
    The Hand
    The Hearse
    Alien
    Amityville Horror
    When a Stranger Calls

We had HBO around 1980 - those were my gateway films (I was 6).

15. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I'm 45 and have been obsessed with scary things for as long as I can remember. Even before I discovered 'horror movies' I was fascinated by the Wicked Witch in "The Wizard of Oz" and the evil stepmothers/queens in Disney movies. Even the ghosts in "A Christmas Carol." By the time I was five I had a 45 record of "Monster Mash" and a collection of rubber skeletons, bats, spiders and other creatures. Even one of those rubber shrunken heads they sold in the back of comic books (I think my dad passed that one on to me from his own collection.) That's just what I've always been drawn to.

As far as movies, these are ones I remember seeing before age 12 that influenced me:

House on Haunted Hill
    Trilogy of Terror
    Kingdom of the Spiders
    The Amityville Horror (actually a documentary on the haunting a babysitter let us watch)
    Obsession (De Palma, not horror but it really disturbed me as a kid and it's still a favorite)
    Burnt Offerings
    Jaws
    The Attic (Ray Milland, Carrie Snodgress)
    Halloween
    Friday the 13th (my parents made us cover our eyes during the murder scenes)
    Prom Night
    Magic (really the commercial with that terrifying dummy)

16. thing

thing Well-Known Member

The Omen

17. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

My parents didn't let me watch many horror films. I was able to rent some when staying with grandmother but I don't remember any specific titles. I mostly just remember the VHS boxart from the store.

The horror film that affected me the most was SILVER BULLET. I watched it one Halloween night while at my friend's house. I was in 5th grade and it scared the shit out of me. But the worst part is that I had to walk home alone afterwards. We lived on the outside of the city in a rural part of town. So there was only the moon to light my way past the line of trees that ran along my friend's driveway. To a 10-year-old that driveway seemed like the length of 5 football fields. In reality it was about 100 yards (one football field). Needless to say, I ran as fast I could and to my surprise, I made it home in one piece. I don't have alot of childhood memories but that night is one of my most vivid.

Back in the VHS days it was a common thing for us to rent a VCR and 5 tapes over the weekend. I'll never forget the weekend my dad chose SATURN 3. We all spent the entire movie ragging my father for how awful the film was. He never lived it down. For years we'd always tell him he wasn't allowed to pick any movies. "Remember Saturn 3 Dad"! We were such shits. It's amazing he didn't strangle us. Looking back I'm certain he only rented it to get a glimpse at Farrah Fawcett. He wasn't into horror or scifi. I revisited SATURN 3 on BD recently and loved it.

The other thing that has stuck with me is a short story on the GREAT GHOST STORIES record called THE GOLDEN ARM. I'd listen to it late at night, laying on the floor with my ear next to the speaker. I can still picture myself spending the rest of the night in bed with my cover up to my nose, freaking out as I scanned every shadow for movement and listened to the wind for any voices.

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F0du4P11ro

18. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

A lot to list. My mom took me and my brother to many horror movies. The first one was Phantasm at the drive-in which we were supposed to be asleep in the back of a 1978 Chevrolet Citation. The first full length horror film we saw was Friday the 13th, then American Werewolf in London, John Carpenter's The Thing, Halloween 2, Friday the 13th Part 2, Part 3 3D, Psycho 2 because my mom saw Psycho when she was 14 at the theaters and she wanted to see the sequel at the theaters, Funhouse.

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare was just released on VHS when I was a 6 years old and I rented it at a sleepover and was terrified of most things horror - at least R-rated - for a few years after. To this day, the Q-Tip scene still gives me a bit of the willies. I did rent Ghostbusters 2 and Gremlins 2 pretty much every other weekend, so that definitely shaped some of my viewing patterns, and had The Monster Squad taped off TV. I also used to watch re-runs of The Hilarious House of Frightenstein. But it was the original Night of the Living Dead that I rented back when I was 11 that cemented my new found - and until this day - love/vice for horror.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The biggest influence on me was a show in the late 70s that played in the Boston area on Saturday afternoons called Creature Double Feature. It served as my primary introduction to all of the Universal Horror classics, as well as the Toho Godzilla films, '50s sci fi, Corman AIP Poe, and Hammer Horror. The earliest horror/monster films I remember seeing in a theater was King Kong '76, Incredible Melting Man, Watcher in the Woods, and a DI double bill of Phantasm and The Fog.