Horror Hotel

Discussion in 'Classic' started by The Joker, Aug 4, 2003.

1. The Joker

The Joker Guest

[​IMG]

Wassup guys...I just picked this dvd up for $5 brand new. Has anyone ever seen this one

I was hoping to get some opinions or feedback...

thanx!!!

The Joker

2. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Chris Lee rocks, and the movie has some solid atmosphere. It's definitely... a classic. ;)

3. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

I have that Elite DVD. You got a deal! I paid $29.99 at Borders for it a couple of years ago. Its a great, creepy memorable little film. It was titled "City of the Dead" in the U.K. This Elite print is passable. Christopher Lee is great in this film! Enjoy!

4. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

Another fun note to this movie. Get a load of all the British actors trying to maintain New England accents. Its a trip! This was made in the UK but is set in MASS.

5. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I've got the Roan edition. I been meanin' to get the Elite and do a comparison, but I'm a lazy, and broke, mofo. :D

I'd definitely grab it for $5 though.

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I have THE CITY OF THE DEAD version. I don't know which one is better, as I think both prints have their pros and cons. The one I have has a Christopher Lee commentary which is pretty good. Great movie.

8. The Joker

The Joker Guest

thanx 4 the feedback everyone! I'm probably gonna watch it this week :)

The Joker

9. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

WEll, I haven't seen it on dvd, but at Jiffy Lube, you can get the vhs (They also have The Swamp Thing and others) for $1.99. Is it worth it?

10. The Joker

The Joker Guest

around here, u can get the dvd for 3 more dollars ;)

The Joker

11. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I have the cheapo version, i got it for $5 CND and it's widescreen and has a great print.

12. Latency

Latency Guest

which cheapo version ?? I would like to get a better copy of this. I have it included on a 3 movie DVD and the print damage sucks. I've seen a cheapo version @ Walmart for very cheap. Could this be the one ?

13. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I have the city of the dead version also and the image quality is good.Here are the features on the disk.
    VCI entertainment
    Original british version:contains 2 minutes not found on the american release
    commentary(cristopher lee)
    45 minute interview with (christopher lee)
    2 more interviews with (venetia stevenson,&interview and commentary from director John moxey.
    theatrical trailer
    photo gallery
    bios
    Widescreen1.66:1 dolby digital

14. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

The one i got was from a company called Madacy. I got it at Best Buy and i couldn't believe how cheap it was.

15. The Joker

The Joker Guest

I also got mine from best buy...its possible that me and hell ya! have the same version

The Joker

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought City of the Living Dead Version was the definitive disk also, as it has more extra's . Does anyone have a link to a comparison of the two DVD's.

17. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

The Roan version (the one I have)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Includes; Easter egg interview with Chris Lee, production notes, trailers for Roan dvd's White Zombie, Rage at Dawn and The Outlaw; also, it uses a 35mm print at, reportedly, 1.85:1 aspect ratio - the VCI version doesn't state the source element they used.

The VCI version

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Includes; Commentary by John Moxey; Video interview with director John Moxey; Theatrical trailer; Photo gallery. - Complete and uncut with more than 2 minutes of additional footage cut from the U.S. theatrical release. Advertised aspect ratio; 1.66:1.

It looks like the VCI version slays the Roan in that the Roan version clocks in at 76 minutes and the VCI at 78. Also, it's blatantly obvious VCI is superior in the extras department. As far as transfer goes, I have no clue how they compare. Here is Horrordvds review of the Elite Horror Hotel and DVDCult's comparison of the Elite and Roan versions. The Cinema Laser states that the Elite version was taken from a 16mm print, and is framed at 1.75:1, but reports regarding aspect ration seem to vary widely on this version, so I wouldn't take that as gospel; I've seen it listed as being 1.85:1 as well, both here and elsewhere.

For what it's worth, the IMDb lists the movie's original aspect ratio at 1.66:1.

So it looks like the VCI version is the way to go - I just wish I knew whether they used a 16mm or 32mm print. I suppose if the transfer and source elements are good enough, or simply just look better than the the Elite and Roan versions, that wouldn't matter.

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Thanks mutleyhyde i think I’ll hold out for the Roan Version. I've yet to see it in stores in Canada though. I’ve seen the other two though. I guess I can just order it.

19. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

No problem Ash, glad to help.

I'm happy with my Roan edition, but I do think I'll get that VCI one someday, for the features, and to finally do a comparison.

But if you do go with the Roan, Troma distributes the line. I've had some bad history withe them in the past, as has a lot of folks, but Troma's shipping department has done me right on my last two purchases, so maybe they're reliable these days. Their dvd prices are dirt cheap, but their shipping is damn steep. If you buy directly from Troma, save up your pennies and order a bunch of shit at once; that way the initial shipping fee ($8.00) evens out more over the number of titles ordered.

Troma/Roan suggestions...
    White Zombie - great disc, really a killer... the best of the Roans
    The Mr. Wong Collection - Karloff as Chinaman sleuth, nuff said
    Dementia 13
    D.O.A. - classic noir who-dun-it
    The Stranger/Cause for Alarm - Orson Welles, a no brainer (and Cause for Alarm ain't bad either)
    The Hitch-hiker - cold blooded road noir
    and bunches of other bad Poverty Row horror titles, including lots of Lugosi flicks

Check it out.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Sorry mutleyhyde The VCI version is what i ment. The Roan version seems like the second best version though. I was going to pick it up at local store a few weeks ago but it was kinda over priced. I also want to get Dementia 13, is the Roan version the definitive version of the film?