Horror Movie Showdown #1 Halloween VS Black Christmas

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, May 8, 2006.

?

70's Slasher Showdown

1. Halloween (1978)

72.2%
  2. Black Christmas (1974)

27.8%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I have always felt Black Christmas is superior to Halloween. Saying that both are great films.

Halloween does have some good Character development but Black Christmas has about ten characters and they are all interesting and well developed not to mention that I believe Olivia Hussey does a much better job of acting then Jammie Lee Curtis IMO. Especially towards the end when she is yelling upstairs for her friends. This scene sends chills down my spine.

Halloween has great music that ranks it among with the best scores, the problem for me is that it can can get a bit repetitive. I also think this is the case with many of it's scenes. You see him. then you look away and then you look back and then he's gone. They do that scenario too may times. He's not supernatural he's just a person.

Black Christmas score overall isn't as memorable but it's still great. It's more subtle as it has these creepy sounds effects throughout with one amazingly effective murder scene set to a back drop of children singing christmas carols. Not to mention the creepy obscene phone calls that just gets under your skin.

One thing that bugs me about Holloween is that there are a few times when Myers try to stab Jamie lee Curtis when she is not looking and misses by a mile. He just killed everyone else no problem, so why is he all of a sudden have such difficulty but hey that's a small quibble.

One thing I look at when thinking of these two films is that they are both extremely influential but Halloween I believe is also at fault for started some of the worst of the slasher cliche's.

The sluts have to die, The guy swinging upside down from the closet for no good reason, The walking killer, the Killer is never really dead I mean how many times does Jamie Lee Curtis hurt Myers just enough to knock him out and then walk away like everything is OK. Everyone knows he's going to get up again he just did it in the last couple of scenes.

Black Christmas may have started the calling from the house bit which I wouldn't say is a cliche or the going upstairs when she should be going out the door. At lease in BC though you believe she needs to go upstairs because she genuinely doesn't know if her friends are still sleeping or dead.

Some people say the cops in Black Christmas are annoying. I love Donald Pleasence but how many times does he have to sprout out those overly dramatic lines, I mean I get it he's evil. Do you need to say it every two minutes.

The Ending to Black Christmas is IMO is perfectly ambiguous. You never actually know what happened or who the killer is, It keeps with the rest of the film's mystery.

The ending of Halloween is wow what a surprise he got up again. I never saw that coming. Wait for the over dramatic Donald Pleasence he's evil line. The END

Ever film has it's flaws though and Halloween does make up for these flaws. It's music is pulse pounding and stays with you, the pacing and cinematography are top notch. It does hold the overall edge in these areas.

On the whole though I have to give the edge to Black Christmas It has this haunting effect on me that is hard to shake.

2. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Love both flicks...but i find myself watching Halloween more often.It gets my vote..

3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm wondering. Can anyone name a film prior to Halloween in which the killer/bad guy appeared dead, then did the now overdone get back up routine? For some reason I can't think of one.

4. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Halloween by an ass hair.

5. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I love them both but Black Christmas is the superior flick, IMO. Better atmosphere, better characters, and the creepy factor is bit higher, I think.

6. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I love Black Christmas...but Halloween is my all time favorite. If I could only own one movie this would be it.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Halloween was the first to do that but that doesn't necessarily make it a good thing.

8. SaviniFan

Can't fault the film if it did it first. Hell, Halloween is the only film to ever truely frighten me. I was a young teen the first time I saw it, but it is the only one.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Hey in a way your preaching to the quire, no film is perfect, especially after you watch it countless times. I love Halloween and It looks like 2/3 of us disagree with me, I just think Black Christmas is the better film.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  10. SaviniFan

I'm not preaching to anyone. I'm stating my feelings on the film and what it has accomplished, warts and all. I've never claimed it to be perfection. No need to get defensive. I don't look to change anyone's mind on a film.

11. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I picked Halloween, simply because I watched it growing up and only first saw Black Christmas several months ago. Since purchasing Black Christmas, I've watched it once. Since purchasing Halloween, I have watched it countless times.

I enjoy both films a lot, though.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I have no idea what your talking about. I said I agree with you, it's a great film. I don't think your preaching to anyone, no one is getting defensive. It's just a conversation.

13. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

HALLOWEEN...I realize BLACK CHRISTMAS originated many of the standards of the slasher, but HALLOWEEN perfected them.

14. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

Halloween... I watched it many times and I like "Carpenter family members" - Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Pleasance. Simple choice. But Black Christmass is good too. ;)

15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Halloween

16. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Yes sir. Make it a Black Christmas for me and hold the tinsel.

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Black Christmas is my favourite horror movie of all time. It is the creepiest, scariest movie ever made and yet it has a sense of fun at times as well. The phone calls alone will stay with me for the rest of my life. Just an awesome, perfectly made horror film.

Halloween is a great movie as well and would probably win in a battle against most other horror flicks, but not a chance against Black Christmas.

18. Marco

Marco Guest

Halloween for sure. Never liked Black Christmas that much. Bit boring IMO

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Halloween for me. A no-brainer. I can vividly remember the music of Halloween, BC, not so much.

20. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Halloween, although it's been so long since I've seen BC I can't remember anything about it. The Halloween theme has stuck with me for years and that has to mean to something.