Horror Movie Showdown #3 The Howling VS An American Werewolf in London

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, May 10, 2006.

?

80's Werewolf showdown

1. The Howling (1981)

32.1%
  2. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

67.9%
  1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Love them both, easily the two best werewolf movies ever made, but I have to go with AWIL.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Gotta go with THE HOWLING. Better horror movie-ish locale, cinematography, great woodsy atmosphere. I liked the effects better.
    Seeing the big transformation in American Werewolf in that brightly lit room was - lacking. Good effects, but the "E.C." lighting in THE HOWLING was brilliant

3. Buddusky

Buddusky New Member

For me The Howling is a very good Werewolf movie. American Werewolf is a great movie.

4. Buddusky

Buddusky New Member

American Werewolf transformation scene tops the lot for me and still hasn't been outdone. Although I do think The Howling transformation was great as well.

5. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

both are awesome in their own way. i love both, but An American Werewolf in London is one of my all time favorite horror films.

6. Queen B

Queen B Guest

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON by a long-shot for me. I've always found it difficult to watch THE HOWLING in its entirety. Can't see why it gets the praise that it does.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Funny thing is I have always felt the same way but vice versa on the movies. I just couldnt ever get into An American Werewolf in London, and I am not saying I think it is bad, I just never could get into it for some reason. Im not a huge Howling fan either but between the two I enjoy that one quite a bit more. Id still take the original WolfMan and Ginger Snaps over either anyday, but that is just me.

8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Gave a slight edge to An American Werewolf in London.

9. Queen B

Queen B Guest

Strangely, Ginger Snaps doesn't do much for me either. But the original Wolfman...damn that's a classic! I've must have seen it close to 20 times and it still doesn't cease to entertain the heck out of me. It's hands-down the BEST werewolf offering to date, and one of the greatests pictures in the horror genre.

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of both but I have to go with AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON.By the way,both films are playing at the AFI SILVER THEATER in Maryland in October (as well as WOLFEN,THE WOLF MAN and others)as part of their Halloween lineup.

11. KappaMoth

KappaMoth Guest

Not even close, American Werewolf all the way. American Werewolf is a cinematic classic with relevance beyond the horror genre. It's a well-directed, multifaceted film well worth an annual October rewatch. The Howling is a b-movie. An entertaining one, I'll give you that - and definitely with some originality and heart - but it's not serious cinema. /snob