Horror or Not? #6 - Silence of the Lambs

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by spawningblue, Sep 23, 2006.

?

Poll #6 Horror of Not? - Silence of the Lambs

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    63.4%
  1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

This is for KR. Keep the movies coming, and I'll keep making the polls! I think it's really interesting to hear people's point of views, and what to them, classify's a film as horror. Again, these polls aren't to prove anything, just to create friendly conversation. Anyways, next up is Silence of the Lambs.

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

PS I know it says Horror of Not, supposed to be Horror or Not obviously, but I can't seem to edit it so... deal with it!

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Suspense/Thriller, Drama. That's how I would categorize Silence Of The Lambs.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

This is the first movie in the polls so far that I don't consider horror, but I definitely think it could go either way. I guess he is a killer, and there are slasher elements, but I never found it to really be scary as much as a psychological drama. It gets in your head, and I guess that could be considered horror, but i don't know. I'm going to still stick to saying it's not, but again, I think it could go either way.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I say it is much more a crime drama/thriller than a horror movie. There are some horrific elements to the story, but other genres can be horrific or scary without somehow morphing into a horror movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006
  6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

It's a Horror/Crime thriller. It's a horror!

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's a dark movie and plenty to be scared about, but I don't think that just because a movie deals with serial killers it's automatically "horror". If that's the case, then so is roughly half of Lifetime's Movies of the week and so are shows like CSI. There are plenty of things that are frightening in regular old "dramas". In fact, they often disturb me more than horror movies do.

8. maybrick

Everything seems to be horror for you. No offensive intended, but I swear your definition of what horror "is" is so broad, it loses it's meaning.

9. PThron

PThron Guest

I think you could make a case for several genres, and given that the film works so well in each is a tribute to its success. It is, on the one hand, a crime procedural, showing us some of the workings of the FBI and its investigators. It is, most obviously, a psychological thriller, with the minds of Hannibal Lecter and Buffalo Bob twisting perceptions of human behavior to perverse ends. It is also a love story, though of a MOST peculiar and unconsumated nature.

But I would venture to say that it is also horror for several reasons, though primarily for the element of cannibalism which figures prominently in the film, even if it isn't actually seen. Hannibal the Cannibal, who ate a man's liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Buffalo Bob, who fattens girls up to loosen their skin so that he can fashion a suit of female humanity for himself. if these elements don't constitute horror, perhaps it comes down to question of semantics. I remember coming out of the movie theater when it first played and thinking it was the best horror film I'd seen in years.

Just tossing in my couple of pennies. :)

10. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

It's horrible but not Horror.

11. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

HAHAHA!

Yeah, this ain't Horror.

12. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

A psychological drama which is heavily influenced by Horror films, but does that make it a horror film itself? I don't think so, but I am not 100% sure either way!

That said, I do know that many people think of it as a horror film and Hannibal as a modern movie monster. I think this might be the most even poll of them all.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

That's right I don't cram horror into a neat little box. Horror doesn't have to be a slasher or a zombie movie in order to be part of the genre. Basically the way I figure it is if a film is trying to scare you, creep you out or gross you out then it's a horror film. Silence of the lambs it trying to scare you plain and simple. The only meaning horror has is what you want to give it. Just because a film included other genre's into into structure doesn't mean it seizes to be a horror film. Allot of critics seem to think if a horror is worthy of an Oscar then it can't be a horror because they just love to belittle the genre. They called the Exorcist and Carrie a Drama and Silence of the lambs a thriller and that's bullshit.

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Thanks, try Se7en next.:evil:

15. maybrick

Then how does this exactly apply to your opinion that Army of Darkness is a horror movie? It's obvious that Sam Raimi wasn't trying to accomplish any of those things with AOD and merely set out to make a comedy/satire/parody in the context of his Evil Dead movies. The man is not a hack. He's proven with The Evil Dead that he knows how to scare people if he wants to. Slapstick is a rather piss poor way of frightening people if that's what he was going for with AOD and I don't believe that to be the case for a second.

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You or I might not find it scary but some people may. I don't find Dawn of the Dead scary at all but I would still call it a horror. AOD may be tight-walking on the outside fringes of horror but I still have no problem with it being labeled as such.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  17. maybrick

That's not a very good argument. "Some" people are afraid of everything. One of the most nightmare inducing characters in movie history is the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz. Nobody in their right mind would seriously label that a horror movie. A lot of straight forward dramas with zero connection to the horror genre are "scary" in places.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  18. Luna

Luna Guest

This is exactly why I voted no on this one. I do love the darker Lifetime movies about creepy guys (yeah, I know, are there any other kind?) and this is one of those movies that feels like a higher budget one with a bit more weirdness thrown in for good measure... and that's not a slam because I loved Silence Of The Lambs.

19. No way is this horror...it's a crime drama/serial killer film.

20. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

horror elements? yeah a few, but so many movies do.. this is most definitely thriller/drama/crime

next thing you know people are going to be calling Kiss the Girls, Seven, The Bone Collector etc are all horror..