Horror or Not?

Discussion in 'General' started by spawningblue, Jun 6, 2013.

?

Horror or Not?

1. Army of Darkness - YES

45.8%
  2. Army of Darkness - NO

50.8%
  3. The Thing (1982) - YES

93.2%
  4. The Thing (1982) - NO

3.4%
  5. Jaws - YES

81.4%
  6. Jaws - NO

15.3%
  7. Alien - YES

83.1%
  8. Alien - NO

13.6%
  9. Aliens - YES

45.8%
  10. Aliens - NO

49.2%
  11. Psycho (1960) - YES

88.1%
  12. Psycho (1960) - NO

8.5%
  13. The Silence of the Lambs - YES

49.2%
  14. The Silence of the Lambs - NO

45.8%
  15. Seven - YES

32.2%
  16. Seven - NO

59.3%
  17. Zodiac - YES

16.9%
  18. Zodiac - NO

72.9%
  19. Predator - YES

22.0%
  20. Predator - NO

69.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

In regards to the thread I started to determine "Horror Digital's Top 100 Horror Films of All Time!"

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?p=737153&posted=1#post737153

Let's get the big ones out of the way. Do you consider these horror films or not? If the final tally is no, they will not be allowed on your lists for the Top 100. You have until Mon. June 10th to decide. I tried to pick the ones I hear a lot of debate about, but if there are any other films that are debatable, let me know and I will create another poll.

Also, feel free to state your case why you chose what you did.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. deepred

deepred Member

Army of Darkness - Horror because it is a continuation of a horror franchise, sure it is silly but isn't that what is so great about the genre? We have Horror Comedies, Psychological Horror, Fantasy Horror, Giallos, etc.

The Thing - we all agree on this so far

Jaws - Jaws terrified me. I know people who still will not go into the ocean because of this movie. If that is not a horror movie, I don't know what is. The shark attacks in this movie are gruesome! I'm a little surprised that some said no.

Alien Heck yeah, it is. A horror-sci-fi hybrid and I love it! This movie is made to scare the audience which makes it count as a horror in my book. I've heard some call it a haunted house movie in space or Jaws in space.

Aliens It's a continuation of Alien so I say yes. Even though it is more action oriented, there is still imagery created to scare and unsettle.

Psycho (1960) We all agree :banana:

The Silence of the Lambs If the other Ed Gein-inspired movies are horror, why not this one? Sure it is a thriller but it is very gruesome, violent, scary, there is some psychological horror also, its suspenseful and you feel fear for the victims. That all adds up to toe into the horror line in my book.

Seven No, because I never felt fear. The crime scenes were horrific aftermaths but I thought the focus was more on the detectives. We never really see the characters get attacked. There just isn't enough things about it to me that scream HORROR other than the crime scenes.

Predator This one is across the board too

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

What's the line? "I can't define obscenity, but I know when I see it", something like that?

Same with this. I can't tell you WHY I consider some movies to be horror, and some not, just that some of the movies on this list have that feel of a horror movie, and others don't. It's that simple.

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Aliens is not horror. It's an action/adventure scifi film, in the same way that Predator is not horror.

5. deepred

deepred Member

I'd say it is also a monster movie which makes it horror. Aliens may not be strictly horror but there are some horror elements imo. Like when Ripley and Newt are locked with the face-hugger. That to me felt more horror than sci-fi action.

Predator was never created to be a horror movie and doesn't try to scare the viewer so I wouldn't call it a horror film. Yeah, the Predator is ugly but he is more sci-fi ugly. ;)

6. deepred

deepred Member

Here's my question to those who voted for Psycho but against Silence - what makes Psycho more of a horror film than Silence?

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I don't think an evil alien or aliens makes a film horror. It's the tone, structure and intent, along with the monster. Aliens is intended to thrill you. Alien is intended to scare the hell out of you.

Aliens is in the same class as T2 for me--action/adventure scifi.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Any movie can have a scene or two that is terrifying, but that doesn't automatically make something a "Horror" movie in my eyes.

Army of Darkness: comedy that's inspired by classic adventures like Jason and the Argonauts.

The Thing: If you delete the two scenes that feature a space ship it wouldn't even be considered Sci-Fi.

Jaws: It has some scary scenes no doubt about it, but I never get the impression while watching it that Spielberg was trying to make a Horror movie. The scary scenes comprise a remarkably small share of the run time.

Alien: clearly it's science fiction, but the set ups are pure horror movie.

Aliens: clearly a big budget action film riding on the coat tails of an awesome science fiction horror film. By itself, it isn't horror.

Psycho: The score just by itself is fricking scary and makes it a horror movie. I don't even feel the need to explain the other reasons why it is.

Silence of the Lambs: Dark, atmospheric police procedural.

Seven: Again, dark, atmospheric police procedural.

Predator: Big, dumb, (but fun!) action film featuring an alien from outer space.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

The reveal at the end of Psycho, which SotL does not have. SotL is a beautifully structured thriller/police procedural [agreed, maybrick] and it unfolds as such.

10. deepred

deepred Member

I hear what you are saying but the Alien creatures were created within the horror genre. The sequel had changed the atmospheric tone, but that to me didn't make the creatures any less horrifying or threatening. I still thought they were scary, especially because there were so many. But from the polls, I am in the minority. I agree that it is action/adventure sci-fi, but I cap it off with horror on the end. I can see where the horror element may be too diluted for some.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I don't think a sequel is a certain genre of film only because it is a sequel, however. That's simplifying your argument, I know, deepred, but it seems to be the crux of it.

12. deepred

deepred Member

No, we don't get the corpse mom. But we do get someone that likes to wear other people's skin, a head that is kept in a storage, a cannibal that eats the guards and mutilates their bodies and it ends with Hannibal telling Clarice he is going to have someone for dinner.

I think this has a ton more horrific scenes and themes than the average thriller. But, I think this one can actually go either way. I am not offended when I see it added to horror lists so I picked yes.

13. deepred

deepred Member

I'd have to beg to differ. I think Spielberg was making a horror movie especially when he went out of his way for this scene:

14. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I said yes to all but Army of Darkness. That one's more in the realm of Harryhausen fantasy to me. Some on the list are "A list horror" and perhaps wear the horror label with a tinge of embarrassment. Too bad! I christen thee horror anyway.

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I always ask "was the director chiefly trying to scare you ?". If so,it's horror.

ZODIAC ,which I enjoyed,seemed to me to be more of a Police procedural with suspense elements.PREDATOR,a fun film,is,despite it's bloody elements,more of a Science Fiction/ actioner (oddly enough,WITHOUT WARNING,a low budgeter from the 80's with a story VERY similar to the later PREDATOR,IS a horror movie because it plays it's central menace as a figure of horror,almost a slasher).ALIEN,despite the Sci-Fi setting,is a horror film,almost like a haunted house movie set on a spaceship.It's also a "monster movie".ALIENS I think BARELY qualifies as horror due to it's chest bursting and fear of alien "impregnation" though it is also heavily structured like a "Lost Patrol" sort of war film,like say ZULU.Small band fighting against overwhelming odds,ALMOST an action film but just BARELY horror . ARMY OF DARKNESS is a horror/comedy,also a tip of the hat to the Harrythausen style fantasy film.

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

For years Army of Darkness was my least favorite of the Evil Dead movies. That was until I stripped away - mentally - whatever fragments in the movie that could be labeled as "horror" and watched it from a different point of view, namely as a comedy. If anything, I would categorize Army of Darkness a Fantasy-Comedy. I won't and can't deny the horror elements within the film, but I can place them on my mental ignore list whenever I'm watching AOD. That's when the movie works best for me personally.

17. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

This got me going on a bit of a thought exercise here and I think I came up with, for me at least, a relatively simple criteria. When the film is over, do you want to be the main character? If you do, then regardless of what the trapping may be, it's still some sort of adventure film. Granted, there are other criteria that come before that line. I certainly wouldn't want to be King Lear but that's still hardly horror. But, once you've determined by other criteria, such as the obvious ones like, does it have monsters or do a lot of people get killer or how long is the shower scene, then I think that the last question is do you want to be main character.

I ran through my own library, both films and books, and for the films the I consider to be horror, it held up pretty well. It also served as a nice concrete line for Aliens and Army of Darkness, which I will admit have always been a bit problematic for me.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

My thoughts:

Army of Darkness: I go back and forth on this one. Before I would argue horror, but that may be just because it is part of a horror franchise. This time I said no. It has horror elements but it is never really trying to frighten you. Most of the monsters, witches, skeletons, little Ash's, ect. are there for laughs, and it really feels like an action/ adventure film. It's one of my favourite films of all time, but I won't be upset if I can't include it in my favourite horror movie list.

The Thing: This has some Sci-fi elements but it is definitely a horror film through and through.

Jaws: This film is a hard one. I feel like the first half is a horror film with Jaws almost a slasher film in the water, a mindless machine killing random people. The second half becomes a buddy adventure on the sea. Looking at the marketing though and the affect it had on people afraid to go in the water afterwards, not to mention some of the best jump scares in cinema, I would say it's a horror film.

Alien: Since this is pretty much Jaws in space I feel like this is a horror film. Again, at times it feels like a slasher film, and there are definitely some really scary moments. Not to mention it's tagline and the fact that the alien is quite scary looking in design, I feel this is definitely a horror film. Other then taking place in space and having an android, it really doesn't focus on the sci-fi at all.

Aliens: This is a mix of many genres, but I feel it focuses the most on the action. The Sci-fi and horror are pushed to the wayside, and I think if it wasn't a sequel to one of the scariest films of all time, we wouldn't even be questioning it.

Psycho: I guess this one depends on whether you consider this suspense or horror. And although it is a really suspenseful film from the king of suspense himself, I feel this one bends just a little more towards being a horror film. The score, the kills, the jump scares, the reveal at the end all are quite frightening, I'm sure even more so at the time.

Silence of the Lambs: I voted for this as horror, but it could really go either way. It is a police procedural but so are a lot of giallos that most consider horror. I think this one has a horrific villain with Hopkin's portrayal of Lecter. I also think it is made to frighten you, and has some gruesome gorey scenes. I mean the scene with the cop crucified is "horror" enough for me.

Seven: Like Silence, this one can be argued both ways, and even though I went with horror, my vote is not set in stone. I think the aftermath of the murders are pretty horrific as is the dark tone throughout.

Zodiac: Same as above, although I would say this one has an almost too epic feel to be a horror film, I said it is anyway just because this movie frightened me more then most, as it's killings were very chilling.

Predator: Even though the first half of this film is pretty much a slasher film I said no because oeverall I think it focuses on the action more then the killings, which aren't done in a horrific manner. Plus, unlike "Alien" I don't feel the design for the Predator was meant to be as frightening as that of the "Alien".

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Aliens and Silence of the Lambs are both very close. I wonder what people would have though of the other Alien sequels?, as part 3 for me kind of goes back to being a horror film where as part 4 then goes back to being an action film. Don't worry, I won't start another poll! haha

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I think what surprised me most by this poll was how few people consider Se7en to be horror.