Horror Streaming Screambox vs Shudder etc

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

According to the E-mail I just got from Shudder, it seems they added I Am a Ghost. I can't recommend that one highly enough. It was on my Halloween top 10 list a few years back, and it wasn't an easy movie to acquire back then.

As I said in my mini review, we showed that at my film festival in like '11 or '12, it sold out twice. I attended the second screening, and I just remember two women behind me shrieking "I don't want to see this!" as the action really got heated.

Might have to give it a watch this weekend.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Sounds fun, unfortunately it's not available here in the UK. :(

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Looks like the blu-ray of Neill blomkamps demonic been delayed til may but not DVD Walmart might have it for 9.96 this Tuesday.

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Exclusives/originals coming this March.

The Seed (3/10) - In The Seed, lifelong friends Deidre (Lucy Martin, Vikings), Heather (Sophie Vavasseur, Resident Evil: Apocalypse), and Charlotte (Chelsea Edge, I Hate Suzie) are finally getting some time away together, using the upcoming meteor shower to gather more followers for their social media channels. But what starts out as a girls’ getaway in the Mojave Desert descends into a battle for survival with the arrival of an invasive alien force whose air of mystery soon proves to be alluring and irresistible to them. Before long the situation devolves into a battle to the death, where the stakes have galaxy-wide implications.

The Bunker Game (3/17) - Laura is an actress in a LARP (Live Action Role Playing) game where participants play the survivors of an atomic war who live underground in a sealed bunker. After several mysterious accidents, the game is interrupted and the players leave the bunker while the staff remain behind to investigate the disappearance of Greg, the game's mastermind. They soon find themselves trapped inside and in peril as they begin to die in mysterious ways. The group realizes that someone or something paranormal is playing a twisted game with them which quickly plunges into a terrifying fight for survival.

The Spine of the Night (3/24) - This epic fantasy tale, about the history of a land that never was, begins when an ambitious young man steals forbidden knowledge from a sacred plant. He falls to its darker temptations and in so doing, unleashes ages of suffering onto mankind. As his power grows over the years, it falls to people of different ilk and culture to attempt to stop him. Among those who stand against him are a daring tomb-robber, star-crossed lovers, a maniacal necromancer, winged assassins, and an undying guardian. Featuring the voices of Richard E. Grant, Lucy Lawless, Patton Oswalt, Betty Gabriel and Joe Manganiello.

Night's End (3/31) - In Night’s End, an anxious shut-in unwittingly moves into a haunted apartment and hires a mysterious stranger to perform an exorcism which takes a horrific turn. Starring Geno Walker, Felonious Munk, Kate Arrington, and Michael Shannon. Written by Brett Neveu and directed by Jennifer Reeder (Knives and Skin, V/H/S/94).

Katatonia likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Vicious Fun just arrived a day early. Probably the most entertaining of SHUDDER'S originals from the past year.

IMG_20220404_130136.jpg

Highly recommended, whether you pick up the disc or stream it on SHUDDER.

fceurich39 likes this.
  6. fceurich39

Cool glad to hear about Vicious Fun Walmart will have the DVD for 9.96.

7. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

May is looking stacked!

The Twin (5/6) - Following the aftermath of a tragic accident that claimed the life of one of their twins, Rachel (Teresa Palmer) and husband Anthony (Steven Cree) relocate to the other side of the world with their surviving son in the hopes of building a new life. What begins as a time of healing in the quiet Scandinavian countryside soon takes an ominous turn when Rachel begins to unravel the torturous truth about her son and confronts the malicious forces attempting to take a hold of him. From Taneli Mustonen, director of Lake Bodom.

The Sadness (5/12) - The city of Taipei suddenly erupts into bloody chaos as ordinary people are compulsively driven to enact the most cruel and ghastly things they can imagine. Murder, torture, and mutilation are only the beginning. A young couple is pushed to the limits of sanity as they try to reunite amid the violence and depravity. The age of civility and order is no more.

The Found Footage Phenomenon
    (5/19) - This documentary tracks the origins of the found footage technique and how it transformed with technological changes throughout the last few decades. Featuring interviews with integral found footage directors whose films impacted the horror genre like no other sub-genre has, around the turn of the millennium.

A Banquet (5/26) - Widowed mother Holly (Sienna Guillory) is radically tested when her teenage daughter Betsey (Jessica Alexander) experiences a profound enlightenment and insists that her body is no longer her own, but in service to a higher power. Bound to her newfound faith, Betsey refuses to eat but loses no weight. In an agonizing dilemma, torn between love and fear, Holly is forced to confront the boundaries of her own beliefs. An unsettling, thought-provoking and hyper-tense psychological thriller from director Ruth Paxton.

Natas likes this.
  8. CPT HOOK

Been hearing lots of buzz for The Sadness lately.

Colin likes this.
  9. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Same, I've been hearing good things about it. That one has been high on my must see list for over a year now.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'd also be interested in checking out the found footage documentary. I wonder if they'll continue the (what I consider to be a) fallacy that The Blair Witch Project is to blame. I've made this point before here several times. While BWP was obviously influential, the real glut of found footage films didn't hit until the mid to late 2000s, a good 5-7 years later. Copycat films do NOT take that long. Halloween/F13 ripoffs hit the drive in screens in about two years, Italian Road Warrior/Escape from NY copies even sooner. I think it was more the rise of Facebook and iPhone that got us all the found footage movies.

It'll be real interesting to see if the documentarians have the same opinion.

Colin likes this.
  11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I caught The Sadness at a film fest back in November and wasn't a fan. It's a mix of films like Ebola Syndrome, Dawn of Dead, 28 Days Later, and is playing all its cards for pure shock value and extreme gore and wanting to offend everyone, but the story and direction were just so weak I became bored 20 mins in by it's absolute and only goal of
    skull-fucking
    the audience with it's grisly mean-spiritedness. It'll definitely have its fans here for those that like their movies with nothing but extreme gore and shock value, but that's all it has going for it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Colin and Katatonia like this.
  12. CPT HOOK

Watched their latest The Twin. Stop me if you've heard this one. A grieving mother goes to a remote countryside manor with her husband to heal from the death of her child. Strange supernatural things begin happening and the husband doesn't believe her because men gaslight women or whatever. Basically the plot of every British horror movie ever. Except this one is nearly two hours. The Cellar from just a week or two ago was basically the same plot, except the kid didn't die in that, only disappeared. The Cellar is the better watch, but both are instantly forgettable.

Anyway, yawn. Shame too because I loved the director's previous movie Lake Bodom, also on SHUDDER.

Colin likes this.
  13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I consider that making a distinction without a difference. There was a large gap between Night of the Living Dead and the copycats too, but it still was the origin point of the modern zombie genre. It doesn’t always happen overnight. I seem to recall that there was quite a bit of an attempt to capitalize upon the popularity of BWP among non budget filmmakers from the get-go and most of them have been long forgotten by this point. But even by Paranormal Activity the found footage schtik was beaten to death in TV shows.

14. CPT HOOK

Oh yeah, I should also mention that I finally watched Hellbender the other night, one of their movies from a couple months back, and I actually really dug this one. It won't be for everyone, it's a bit abstract and weird, think Glass Eye Pix / Larry Fessenden, but I really liked the authenticity of it. The setting and characters gave it a really unique feel. The movie is follows a sheltered girl and her mother living alone in the woods, and it really gives you the same feeling and curiosity the girl has whenever someone new enters their orbit, be it the girl next door, a hiker, a park ranger, etc. It maybe reminded me a little of that movie Pyewacket from a few years ago, except I found that one a bit bland and boring while this one was rather compelling.

The behind-the-scenes story on this one is rather fascinating as well. It's about as un-Hollywood as you can get. It's just a family (mother, father, and two daughters) who live in a small town in upstate New York who write, direct, act, and basically do everything themselves. So the mother and daughter in the movie are real mother and daughter, and also the filmmakers. Amber, the blonde girl who lives next door, is the sister. The father plays the hiker / Amber's uncle. They basically just made the entire thing themselves, which is really impressive if you see the film. Apparently they did another indie a few years back called The Deeper You Dig, which is also on SHUDDER. That one is definitely being added to the to-watch list. I'll be keeping an eye on this filmmaking family and looking forward to whatever they make next.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I didn't care much for Hellbender, but I agree with your assessment that that family is doing a damn good job of making movies just within themselves. Hellbender had me for the first 2/3 but really went off the rails at the end and I'd lost interest.

Colin likes this.
  16. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Was there a deal for 50% off Shudder posted here recently or am I an idiot? Might've been the Blu-ray.com forum. I think I'm just going to sign back up for Shudder directly despite paying for AMC+. I don't mind waiting a day or two for the scheduled stuff like Joe Bob, but the app is terrible. Also, during the last movie I watched I kept having errors that would make the app shut down. Then when I'd reopen the app, I'd have to enter my email address and password. I had to log in I think 5 times during a 90 minute movie. That movie Virus 32 wasn't too bad (although, not very good either), but I was angry by the end from having to hit like a thousand buttons on my remote to finish it up. The same thing happened when I tried to watch the newest Last Drive-In episode.

17. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

To answer my own question, yes it was on Blu-ray.com and it expired like 20 days ago.

Although, this one still works for 20% off an annual subscription:
    SHUDDERGIFT

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched it last night and wasn't very impressed, this really was a chore to get to the end.

fceurich39 likes this.
  19. fceurich39

Thought it was ok I prefer Monster Party which is kinda similar.

hots4 likes this.
  20. fceurich39

V/H/S 94 was awesome I am very much looking forward to V/H/S 85 next.
    Anyone check out another horror anthology movie called Dead by Midnight Y2kill? seen the DVD at Walmart.