HorrorDVDs 11 best Asian Horror Movies: The Results

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Hellbilly, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

HorrorDVDs 11 Best Asian Horror Movies
    (click Image to view Trailer or footage)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

01. Audition (1999) 5 votes
    02. The Eye (2002) 7 votes
    03. A Tale Of Two Sisters (2003) 8 votes
    04. Godzilla (1954) 8 votes
    05. Ju-On (2000) 5 votes
    06. Battle Royale (2000) 7 votes
    07. Ring (1998) 9 votes
    08. Ichi The Killer (2001) 3 votes
    09. Perfect Blue (1998) 6 votes
    10. Kairo (2001) 6 votes
    11. Kwaidan (1964) 7 votes

~

Kwaidan (1964) completes the 11 best!

01 - 07 - 17 - Kwaidan (1964)
    02 - 02 - 12 - Dark Water (2002)
    02 - 02 - 05 - Suicide Circle (2002)
    02 - 02 - 03 - Three...Extremes (2004)
    05 - 01 - 28 - Versus (2000)
    05 - 01 - 15 - Uzumaki (2000)
    05 - 01 - 12 - Evil Dead Trap (1988)
    05 - 01 - 05 - Shutter (2004)
    05 - 01 - 02 - Jigoku (1960)
    05 - 01 - 01 - Memories Of Murder (2003)
    05 - 01 - 01 - Ninja Scroll (1993)
    ~
    03 - Phone (2002)
    03 - Biozombie (1998)
    02 - Art Of The Devil 2 (2005)
    02 - The Hypnotist (1999)
    01 - Mr. Vampire (1985)
    01 - Onibaba (1964)
    01 - The Eye 2 (2004)
    01 - Tetsuo, the Iron Man (1989)
    01 - One Missed Call (2003)
    01 - The Untold Story (1993)
    01 - Hiruko The Goblin (1990)
    01 - Blind Beast (1969)
    01 - The Unborn (2003)
    01 - Matango (1963)

~

I've only seen 7 so there's some catching up to do on my behalf. I'm surprised Dark Water never made the cut with all the praise, love and hype it got in previous threads ....

Thanks to all for participating. It's been fun! :)

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Not good: The Eye (bad film), Tale of Two Sisters (overrated), Ju-On (bad film), Battle Royale (overated), Pulse (overated).

Good: Audition, Godzilla, RingU

Indifferent: Ichi (didn't do much for me first time around).

Not seen Kwaiden.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Seen and own all. Even happier that I've seen five theatrically (the first five inductees, ironically)

Really, a pretty impressive list top to bottom. I'd say it's a perfect introduction for the newbie into Asian horror. Various genres, countries, styles, and eras. If I was gonna make one change, I'd take out Ichi the Killer (really not horror), and perhaps put Evil Dead Trap in it's place.

As for Battle Royale not being horror, I can see where one might think that too. The movie may emphasize survival and smarts, but think about it...it's sort of the same idea as Saw. It plays more as an action movie than your typical horror movie, but the basic concept is definitely a horror movie.

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I have seen all but one movie on there and they go from pretty good (Kwaidan) to great (A Tale of Two Sisters so I am happy with the list. Any of those movies would be a great way to start watching Asian horror. From those I have seen, there's certainly no stinkers on there to scare people off.

I haven't seen Ichi the Killer as it doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but maybe I will give it a shot eventually.

At any rate, this was fun and I have several movies to watch from the nominated list. Thanks billy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007
  5. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Great list, I've seen all but 3 (Kwaidan, Pulse and Ju-On). And thanks to Hellbilly for running these polls, the asian board hasnt been this active in a loooong time.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You know, I just noticed someone voted for Mr. Vampire. What a whacked-out genre; Chinese hopping vampires. Still not sure if it's my cup of chai tea, but those sure are some strange movies.

My favorite might be Encounters of the Spooky Kind, which features both hopping vampires and kick-ass kung fu courtesy of Sammo Hung

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I had my first encounter with hopping vampires (not counting The Jitters) with Corpse Master (1993) a few weeks ago, a film not even listed at IMDb.
    Crazy movie that also included flying female kung-fu vampires and a hopping vampire kid named "Ding-dong". The whole movie was actually about "Ding-dong" and strongly focused on it's "cute-ness". He even got a long fantasy/musical/song sort of sequence that made me go wtf? To complete the weirdness this movie was also a comedy, but also had a few harsh gooey effects.
    Not a very great movie though, but still kinda entertaining at times.

8. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I was actually torn choosing between Mr Vampire and Spooky Encounters, both great films, though perhaps a touch too comedy-horror to be ahead of some of the titles chosen.

I went with Mr Vampire because I love the way that film perfectly balances not only the horror, comedy, and action sequences, but also throws in a surprisingly effective and very unique romantic subplot, of sorts.

Above it all, hopping corpses rock.

I wanted to thank billy for spoiling us with another great tourney. I am always reminded by these "11 best" threads about films that I still need to check out, as well as others that have completely slipped under my radar. :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  9. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

I was hoping that Uzumaki would have made that list.

10. Wermode

Wermode New Member

I've been absent from horrordvds.com for quite awhile, and this is the first thing I saw on my return. Excellent choices...although I would have swapped Kairo and Uzumaki. ;-)

Very nice to include Perfect Blue and Kwaidan. I hope this encourages new Asian horror fans run out and view these films to expand their experience past Ringu and Juon.

11. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Interesting list; some good choices, some bad.

I would banish Ringu, Ju-On, and Two Sisters. I think the "scary girl" genre is too pathetically weak to take up space on a list of top horror movies prepared by actual horror fans. Japanese schoolgirls must be easy to scare (American ones too, judging by the number of remakes), but as someone who enjoys real horror movies, I've gotta point out that a girl with long black hair hanging over her face just isn't scary, even the first time you see one. These movies are dull, nonsensical, repetitive, and waaay overrated.

Audition, The Eye, and BR are all great choices. I'm glad to see Gojira make the list. Most people probably wouldn't think of giant rubber monsters as horror, but the original certainly fits the bill.

Here's two that I would add: Matango: Attack Of The Mushroom People has some of the most creepy and atmospheric set design I've ever seen. The sense of rot and decay in that movie is palpable; you can almost smell it and feel its cool dampness. The Hypnotist: Some good kills, and an interesting story. I saw this in a theater, and there's a sequence near the end when a metallic sound will set someone off, and you could cut the tension / anticipation with a knife. (Someone in the auditorium dropped their keys as the credits rolled, to hilarious effect.)

I've also seen Uzumaki, and while it's flawed, I would easily recommend it over any 'scary girl' movie. Reincarnation (which was part of Horrorfest) is pretty good, too.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

RE: The "scary girl" genre. Yes, it's played out and boring now, but why can't an "actual horror fan" like these movies? The ghost is quite symbolic to Asians, the intended audience I might add. But we all like a good ghost story, even if the ghost itself is not particularly frightening. Hell, I've coughed up phlegm that's scarier than Kwaidan, but Kwaidan is still an amazingly beautiful film, nearly every frame is like a gorgeous painting. I love when the horror genre can be shown to be artistic (instead of getting dismissed, "oh, it's just a low-budget horror film").

The list presents a really good representation of the various sub-genres within Asian horror. If it were 11 scary girl movies, 11 giant monster movies, 11 the same of anything it would suck.

And I really wouldn't lump Tale of Two Sisters in with the "scary girl" genre anyway. Like Kwaidan, it's a gorgeously filmed movie that shows the severe mental degradation and destruction of the central character. Some of her madness does manifest itself as a "scary girl", but it has a point to it. It's a "deep" horror movie, something that's all too rare in the entire history of the horror genre!

As I've mentioned above, I'd remove Ichi the Killer, a violent over-the-top gangster film (the same would apply to Versus). Not really horror. Battle Royale is a stretch to call it a horror film (I do) so it fits, but Uzumaki or Evil Dead Trap would be more appropriate in place of Ichi.