Horrorfind Weekend 2005 (Maryland)

Discussion in 'General' started by Mortis, Mar 15, 2005.

1. betterdan

betterdan Guest

You could always instead meet Ryan and get his autograph. :p

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yeah, but only because you feel sorry for my lack of famousishness. :(

3. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Ok we made it back it one piece and damn we had a great time. We ended up spending more than we thought but hell it's only money right? I met Ryan but I didn't recognize or meet anyone else on here, I did meet some pretty cool and fun people though. We are definately planning on going next year but we are going to bring a cooler for drinks and food next time. The food was high at the Marriott as were the drinks as expected but we were having so much fun we didn't want to leave the hotel for anything. Next year we will be prepared.
    I heard they sold out of official Horrorfind shirts Friday night so I am glad we both got one and some guy was going around on Sunday, I heard, asking to buy the shirts off of people that had them and he offered someone $100. WTF?
    I posted the pic earlier of that Phantasm sphere and I really wanted one so as soon as the dealer room opened Friday we rushed down there to see it. The guy working the counter told me there were only 12 (10 for sale, 1 given as a door prize and 1 for the winner of the costume contest). I guess my wife could tell how much I wanted one (the sad pitiful look probably helped too;)) so she told me to buy one. :banana: The guy behind me ended up buying 3 at a cost of $160 each! Yea it was expensive but what the hell? I really wanted that sucker and now I have it with Angus, Reggie and Coscarelli's sigs on it. Speaking of signatures, the lines were really short to get any autographs except for of course Bruce Campbell. Saturday there was a 3 or more hour wait and the line was all the way across the hotel. Sunday was the same so needless to say I ended up not getting his signature. :mad:
    I was extrememly happy with the signatures I got of course but Bruce's sig in the Evil Dead book would have been the icing on the cake. All the celebs wanted money for sigs except Savini, Felissa Rose and Ryan said Brinke Stevens signed a pic for him for free.

I ended up winning the new Anchor bay Trauma dvd by answering a question the ladies of the Evil Dead asked in a trivia game Saturday. I almost won that giant "Last Supper" Devil's Rejects poster Saturday when some girl from Lion's Gate was asking questions before they showed us the Devil's Rejects blooper real (which was pretty funny by the way). She asked what was the song playing in the movie when everyone was at Ken Foree's whore house party? I was called on but I said Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain High :rolleyes: Of course it is Rocky Mountain Way so me no get poster. :mad: I also won an Evil Dead dvd at the Anchor Bay table Sunday by answering the question "what movie did Raimi direct that involved baseball?" (For Love of the Game) After I won the guy told me I couldn't have the dvd though because I already won a dvd the day before. Not like it was a big deal anyway because who the hell doesn't have the Evil Dead on dvd anyways? I also picked up a few dvds but I found that most of the tables were filled with bootlegs and I didn't want to pay $15 for any bootleg dvds. I did pick up Long Weekend, Street Trash, Battle Royale and Lizard in a Woman's Skin.

Saturday night we watched Man With the Screaming Brain with an introduction by Bruce Campbell and it was pretty damn good.
    Anyway to cut this story short and quit boring you, like I said we had a blast and everyone we met were great and we WILL be going next year for certain. We took some pics but our cheap digital camera doesn't take pictures that well but here are a few that didn't turn out quite as bad...

Me and Savini
    [​IMG]

Me and Coscarelli
    [​IMG]

Me and Reggie
    [​IMG]

Me and Angus
    [​IMG]

Wife and Angus
    [​IMG]

Yes that ball in all the pics is mine :D

Me and Sid
    [​IMG]

Wife and Sid
    [​IMG]

Our spoils (signed Maniac tin and Dawn of the Dead box from Savini, signed Dawn box from Gaylen Ross, signed Sleepaway Camp cover from Felissa, signed picture and Cpt. Spaulding doll from Sid Haig, signed Angel box set by Julie Benz(not in pic), signed pic and Phantasm sphere from Angus Scrimm, signed sphere by Don Coscarelli, signed sphere and Phantasm dvd by Reggie, Devil's Rejects shirt, Horrorfind #5 shirt, I Drink Your Blood shirt, Phantasm shirt, HOTC "Baby" shirt, 2 horror books signed by Brian Keene, dvds: Long Weekend, Street Trash, Battle Royale, Trauma and Lizard in a Woman's Skin.)
    [​IMG]

Here is another pic of our spoils with help from my wife to display them ;)
    [​IMG]

We saw Sid Haig walking around Friday night in the hotel. Now Sid haig is my wife's hero or some shit, she loves that damn clown. Anyways when he walked by us my wife was so happy and amazed that he said hi to her in his Cpt. Spaulding voice and even remembered her name from earlier that day when she got an autograph. :lol: I also saw him later in the cafe with his girlfriend or wife (not sure) and she had a great t-shirt on. On the front it said Tutti Fucking Frutti with a picture of an ice cream cone. She said she loved the back even more then turned around so I could read it. On the back it said "Sweet as yo mamas ass!" :lol:
    Unfortunately they weren't selling them or I would have bought a couple from them. When I told my wife about it later she was kinda disappointed that she had drank too much and went to bed too early or she could have seen them that night.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  4. welb25

welb25 New Member

very cool, Dan.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

:D

Those are great pics dan. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys had tons of fun :)

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Also posted this in my LiveJournal, with some minor adjustments:

Well, I'm back from Horrorfind and I had a great time. I met dan there and we hung out for a while with his wife, went to the Werewolf Inn to listen to some "Scaryoke" (!) on Friday night, and wandered around sporadically throughout the weekend.

Actually, I decided not to go on Sunday... I was pooped and I pretty much saw all there was to see on the first two days. I started to watch the costume contest, but it was so hot and crowded in there, and my feet were so tired, that I had to leave before it was over. I have some pictures (although not very many; I guess I wasn't particularly inspired to take them this time around), with some narration.

[​IMG]

Me and Felissa Rose, from Sleepaway Camp. She was so damned sweet; she signed my Sleepaway Camp DVD for free! I was kinda pissed that she signed it on the back of the cover so I can't display it (probably because most of the front cover is black, but she should have had a silver pen!), but hell I guess I shouldn't complain since it was free. She was one of the nicest people there and a treat to meet. Here is her sig on the back of the DVD cover:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me and Gaylen Ross, from Dawn of the Dead. She was also very nice and I got her to sign my Dawn poster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the beautiful Lynn Lowry, the person I wanted to meet most of all. She, too, was really sweet and nice, and remembered the friendly e-mails I sent her when I reminded her of them. She told me to keep e-mailing her, and I bought an I Drink Your Blood DVD from her and had her sign it:

[​IMG]

Sorry some of the pictures are rather blurry, but it's hard to hold the camera steady long enough to get a good shot. I couldn't get a close-up of the autograph itself because it was too blurry to read, but it says, "To Ryan, Bloody Kisses, Lynn Lowry".

[​IMG]

Here are the Ladies of the Evil Dead (Sarah York, Betsy Baker, Ellen Sandweiss), at a Q&A for Anchor Bay that dan and I went to. They were very funny and made everyone laugh, then after talking with us for a little bit, they gave out some Anchor Bay DVDs during a trivia session.

And here's the stuff that I bought at the convention:

[​IMG]

Got this Zombie t-shirt because my other one has become too small for me. It's not in color like the other, but I think it's nicer-looking and is bigger so it should last quite a while.

[​IMG]

Wes Craven's Last House on the Left: The Making of a Cult Classic. I've heard some great stuff about this book, and am about 70 pages into it and love it. There are tons of photographs, including 20+ pages in color, which make it a particular treat for me since I'm a huge fan of the film.

[​IMG]

Well, I didn't buy The Dead Next Door DVD. It was given to me for free at the Anchor Bay table during a Q&A because I knew that Sam Raimi was an uncredited producer on the film. I really wanted the Trauma DVD, but oh well. Haven't seen this film before, though, so I can't wait to pop it in and watch it.

[​IMG]

Got the Lizard in a Woman's Skin DVD at the Shriek Show table. I was really surprised, because they had the best selection of DVDs (some that weren't even their own!) and the best price for Lizard: $15. That's cheaper than buying it online, even at DDD, who has it for $17! So yeah, had to pick this one up.

[​IMG]

Also got this pair of Something Weird DVDs at the Shriek Show table. I love Doctor Gore and the extras are amazing on this disc. Haven't seen The Curious Dr. Humpp but I can't wait to check it out.

[​IMG]

And finally, the holy grail of my findings at the Horrorfind Convention: The R2 Cannibal Ferox tin. I bought this one at the Xploited Cinema table for $40 and am so happy with the decision. The quality far surpasses that of the Grindhouse DVD, even though there are no extras except for a set of lobby card reproduction postcards inside the tin. I think what I love most about this set is the tin itself; it isn't big and bulky like the Anchor Bay tins, it's about the size of a regular DVD case. I was surprised that the disc actually works in my living room DVD player (which is Region 1), although it looks like pan and scan instead of widescreen, no matter how much I try to adjust the settings on the DVD player. Oh well, it works on my computer as well (even though it is fucked up), so I'm happy.

I really had a lot of fun and it was great to meet dan and his wife Betty. Hopefully I'll be able to go next year and see them again, and meet some of you guys as well. :)

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

My name isn't Dan ;)

Damn you Ryan, I saw that Last House book on Friday but passed it up. I went back saturday and found you had snatched it up. YOU ARE GROUNDED FOR LIFE! :mad:

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I know your name isn't Dan but I call you that on the forums so people know who I'm talking about. ;)

And by the way I'm glad I stole that Last House book from you. You've bought enough stuff anyway. :p

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I can't help but think Agent Z is somewhere photoshopping Ryan out and himself in to that great picture of Felissa Rose.

Oh, and if someone wants to give me their Devil's Rejects merchandise, that would be great.

10. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Sorry, I can't help with any Devil's Rejects merchandise, if I tried to give anything away I would have to explain it to the mrs. and I wanna live. :nervous:

Oh by the way you guys and gals should have seen the doll Felissa had at her table. Someone she knows or a fan had made a barbie to look like Felissa but with that special part you can only see when she is butt nekkid ;). He even made the box and everything. I wish they would have had it for sale, it was too damn funny.
    Well I know this picture sucks but it is the only shot I have of the doll.
    [​IMG]

11. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Ryan, if you want to display the autograph on the back cover of your Sleepaway Camp DVD, all you need to is get a clear keepcase and swap cases. You'll still have to open the DVD to see the autograph, but it's less trouble than pulling the cover out to admire it.

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yeah I could do that, but my SC DVD is part of the Survival Kit and they all have matching white cases, not to mention that the autograph is on the back of the back cover, not the front, so it'd be on the side that the disc is on. :( So I'll just stick with what I have.

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

That's a good idea JW77. She signed the back of my cover too even though when she did mine she had a silver pen so she could have written on the mostly black cover. She wrote on mine the following...
    "Meet me at the waterfront after the social" then she drew a little heart and signed it :lol:
    She was really super nice and seemed to be having a lot of fun with everyone. I'm glad I got to meet her.

14. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I missed it, did anyone get to meet Darrian Caine?

15. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

[​IMG]

"Hurry sweeties, we don't want to be late for the busssss!"

"Goodness no, why that wouldn't do at all!"

"Ryannnnnnnnn! Angelaaaaaa!"

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's true. I now officially despise Ryan. I will make the appropriate remarks in the Ryan notebook. :mad:

And yes, a Ryan voodoo orange is on the way.

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

:lol: :lol:

Well if you weren't such a cheap bastard, you could have come to the convention and met Felissa yourself. ;)

God now I feel like watching Sleepaway Camp. :lol:

17. Franco

Franco Weekender

Savini looks fatter than he looks in recent interviews for DVDs. And you pig definitely need a gym! :lol:

I thought you had the build of Donald Sutherland!

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I did back in 73 Franco but alas time has taken it's toll. Now don't fuck with me or I will sit on you :)

19. Franco

Franco Weekender

So are you telling me that Donald's build must've went down (too) ? :lol:

20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Savini isn't fat, he's all muscle. :)