HOSTEL Part 2 reaction thread

Discussion in 'General' started by ReelFear, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Hostel director's cut? I'm intrigued! I wonder if that is getting a high def release as well.

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

The original Hostel got a hi-def release, as is part II, so it's a good bet this Director's Cut will make it.

I'm edging closer to making a hi-def decision - and I think it'll be Blu-Ray. These would make a nice first purchase.

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

will get hostel part 2 but i see no need to double dip for the first hostel

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Part 2 doesn't nearly pack the same punch as the first one did but I still thought it was great. I guess Roth tried his best in not repeating himself but he only partly succeeded, though. It's basically the same accommodation with different guests. Plus it seemed like Roth was holding back on the grue, with a few exceptions.
    The build-up is familiar but the final act is pretty wild.
    The ending? A real kicker :D

Gets my [​IMG]

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

I don't think so at all. Instead we get a look inside the torture culture, making the killers human, complete with their own ethical problems. The first half is far less comedic, and Roth exploits different female stereotypes than he did with the males. Sure they both involve a hostel and end in a torture chamber, but they have to. Otherwise, I'd say he went to great lengths to ensure he wasn't just putting the same shit in a different package.

6. philxus

philxus New Member

:sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Rented this from Netflix and watched it Saturday night. I've made it very clear just how much I disliked Rob Zombie's Halloween. Let's just say that remake was a masterpiece compared to Hostel Part 2.

It's astonishing how Roth claims he was influenced by giallos while writing the sequel. Aside from the casting of Edwige Fenech in a worthless cameo, I don't see any connection whatsoever. Most likely copious amounts of pot influenced this screenplay more than anything.

Insultingly predictable, undeniably one dimensional, laughably unrealistic, painfully formulaic - this film is torture indeed to sit through. Sure the level of gore allowed onscreen was surprising, but did it make for a suspenseful or horrific film? Not at all!

If only the failure of this film could deflate Roth's ego a bit! :fuck:

8. Dbone

Dbone Guest

I think your absolutely right. I found part II to be superior to the first.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Oh, so that was the problem!

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't know if I've already expressed my thoughts on this movie (it doesn't look like I've posted in this particular thread), but since this is the so-called "reaction thread", I'll say what I thought back in May.

At the Fangoria WoH this year, Roth said he hoped he made the "Empire Strikes Back" or "Road Warrior", meaning the sequel that many people feel surpasses the original. He did not. To me, he made the "Halloween 2". In other words, the sequel that explains too much, and takes away all the mystery that made the first film so good.

Rhett extols the concept of detailing the activities of the Elite Hunting Club, how they get their victims, how they bid on who does the killing, etc. Nah. Didn't care for that. What I liked about the first movie is that by the time you find out what's going on (which is pretty much the same time the onscreen characters figure it out...key concept), it's already too late. Sometimes this idea works, as it can create more suspense (if the viewer knows more than the onscreen characters and feels compelled to shout at the screen to warn them), but in this case it doesn't. Hostel works on the element of surprise more than anything.

Additionally, I didn't care for the video monitoring and computer control of the torture chambers. This is not supposed to be high-tech. Again, what made the first movie so good is the low-tech, DIY feel of the torture. As in, they find an abandoned building, use it, and are ready to move at a moment's notice.

I doubt I'll buy this one. Oh, and I don't need to see the Wiener Dog's breasts...

11. Criswell

Criswell New Member

It lost me at the Bloodbath.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I finally got around to this one last night. It's good, not as good as the first, but pretty entertaining. It does go a wee bit further in terms of what they show you, but not much. I found the first one to be more clever and this one was almost silly at times.

EDIT: I would actually have to agree that this is indeed an "Empire Strikes Back" to the first film because it expanded the premise way beyond what you'd expect from a horror movie sequel and did it quite well. While being slightly more graphic than the first film and putting female characters in the line of fire, it managed to have enough substance that didn't lose me to my sensitivities about guy on girl torture. I give Roth credit for that. Now all that being said, this is only Empire if you think the first film is good enough to be compared to Star Wars :D

By the way, why did the boss guy kill that little kid?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Been trying to figure that out myself. Without listening to any of the commentaries which may or may not help, after 4 viewings I would say:
    none of the kids were supposed to be beating on the merchindise. They probably have free reign to fuck with whoever they want, but picked the wrong person. It seemed like the boss was asking who's idea it was to attack her when he had them lined up. The rest of the kids sold him out, and someone had to pay to prove who was boss.
    That's my take, if Roth explains in any of the commentaries please share.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

What's confusing me is
    The kids actually foiled that girl's escape, allowing her to be captured again. Then one of them gets punished. Maybe you're right about the condition of the merchandise though.

15. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Netflixed and saw last night---I'm firmly in the camp of those who say it's better than the first, which I only thought was okay. The main characters are more sympathetic and interesting this time around, whereas in the first film I didn't care too much about whether the main characters survived or not.

The business with the American hunters is great, although I saw the swerve coming a mile away. But my favorite part of the film is probably the "bidding montage." I really enjoyed the humor in this movie. I'll probably eventually pick this up.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I finally saw it and think it was much better than the first. I really enjoyed this one, whereas the first was merely okay!

17. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I watched Hostel II recently, and it won't surprise anyone to know I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the first film was excellent too, and after a couple rewatches it only gets better. I can't fathom why horror fans wouldn't like these films.....

The second film is a hoot, and there's nothing I'd change in it at this time. I want a third film mostly because I'm greedy for good horror - which these films are a good example of. Good story, good filmmaking, good humor, some gore. Oh, and pretty girls. Damn straight - excellent flick.

18. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Nice to see another avid fan of these flicks. Even with all the bad press Roth gets, he's still my boy... I love his films.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

Rape shower! Rape shower! Rape shower!

20. Stige

Stige Active Member

I thought part two was fantastic compared to the first , had very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised

will watch this again , while the first one needs dusting