House of 1000 Corpses (MERGED)

Discussion in 'General' started by John, Sep 9, 2002.

1. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

I just don't understand how this movie had so many problems getting an R-rating. This film must have been cut to hell.

2. It should have been called TCM it was a better than the original.
    The last 8 mins of the film were the best and this is what the movie should have been built around.

3. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Good god.

4. landrvr

landrvr Guest

5. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I saw that you quoted that, but I had to check the post just to make sure he actually wrote that.

6. jeffschmidt

jeffschmidt Guest

Finally saw this and, while there are plenty of things that could have been better, I was stoked as hell to see something like H1KC at my local mainstream theatre. If we support this, maybe we'll see more non-mainstream films in more theatres.

7. Luna

Luna Guest

To throw my measly two cents into this, I saw the movie this evening and I must say I was rather pleased with it. I think what might be only half the problem (aside from people genuinely not finding it to be up to par in their opinions, and hey, it's to be expected... not everyone can agree on a movie, nor SHOULD everyone) is that a lot of people, at least the ones I know, were looking forward to this being the next greatest thing since sliced bread... something to be over-the-top shocking and gory and all. Also, after reading some of what was said here, I kinda got disappointed and put off seeing it for a while longer than I'd planned to. All I can say is I'm glad I caught it before it left the theater!

Actually, I DID find it to be quite gory and cruel for something I'd see in a regular theater. C'mon...
    making the poor sci-fi geek into a fishboy was pretty fun!
    ;) Also loved the various homages to past horror movies. For instance, that one shot of the houses at dusk (I think) with the kid riding the bike was quite reminiscent of Halloween for me. Of course, Texas Chainsaw Massacre was another obvious one. I laughed my ass off at Capt. Spaulding's "Fuck yo' mama, fuck yo' grandma" thing. Um, what else... basically, I went into the theater expecting a fun horror film made by a horror fan. The way I see it, I pretty much got what I expected and even more. Judging by some reviews I'd read, I expected it to be a pansy-ass movie with not too much blood and guts, or should I say balls... so yeah, I must say I came out of the theater with a smile on my face. :D

I must also add that I went with my fiance and he thought the movie was rather relentless during the last half or so... I'd have to agree with that. The scene where
    the cop was shot, though I know some hated the music, I really liked it... made it all that much more surreal for me, and oh, the agonizing wait for that damn bullet! Nobody in the theater made so much as a PEEP during that, and it was a rather long wait. Never mind the part where the chick (I'm bad with names) sees the guy wearing her father's skin and then he tried to get all up in her shit, ahem... now THAT was pretty fucked up. Also the vicious stabbing of the poor rabbit girl... "Run, rabbit, run!" ...gotta love Baby goin' to town on her and then licking the knife like it was a you know what :sperm:, even if her laugh WAS grating, but I guess that was the point -- y'know, to make her a freak of nature. I still don't quite know what to think about the son that was burned, yeesh. I liked his choice of breakfast cereal... Agatha Crispies.
    :D

Oh, and Karen Black was just perfect. I love her anyway so perhaps I'm biased, but I did love her performance... she had priceless facial expressions.

I think what I liked most about it was that it was a pretty fast paced movie... the past few movies I've seen at the theater have been DAMN long and seemed to drag out forever. So that was a definite plus. I'm not claiming the movie is a masterpiece to rival, let's say, "Deep Red" or "Dawn of the Dead", but I'm pretty damn satisfied with Rob Zombie's first attempt at a film and I'd most likely go to see any other film he makes, as long as it's not an obviously steaming pile. :lol:

I believe I'll be getting the DVD when it comes out.

(Ok, that spermy guy looks like he's swimming in an ocean of blue up above... now THAT's funny.)

Edited to say: Strangely enough, I just placed why Baby was so familiar to me. She reminds me of one of the daughters in the movie "The Baby". If anyone has seen this movie, you may know what I'm talking about. She reminds me of the more annoying, girlie, hair-twirling one that's flirty and twisted. The resemblance is definitely there... dunno if that was what ol' Rob had in mind, but it's what struck me, anyway. :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2003
  8. Luna

Luna Guest

Ya know, when the lights went down, the theater started to play a "please be quiet" thing and I heard a baby start screaming bloody murder from behind. I started to say, "You've GOTTA be fuckin' KIDDING me..." to my fiance, but as the words came out of my mouth, I realized it had come from the speakers, as was the growing cacophony of talking, cellphones, crunching popcorn, etc... it was the damn ad! I was quite relieved and at least we could laugh about it instead of *really* suffering through the movie with said screaming. :lol:

I just don't get the whole "Let's bring our small, screaming newborn/toddler to a loud, scary theater" thing, but perhaps it's just me. That's another topic for another thread though! :fire:

9. Wolf Man

Wolf Man Guest

Yes! The exact same thing happened to me when I saw H1KC. Theater sound systems have finally become too realistic.

10. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Man, I want to go see this really bad but none of my friends are interested in seeing it. I hate going to the movies by myself but I may have too.

11. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Ditch your friends and see this cool movie.

12. Luna

Luna Guest

Hell yeah! :lol:
    Though I'd kill to have a sound system like that in my apartment, I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't like me anymore. :evil:

13. chrishicks

just read over at www.creature-corner.com:
    The inevitable is on its way: a "House of 1000 Corpses" Uncut DVD. You don't have to be a TV psychic to predict something like that. But, the real question is: how many deleted scenes are going to be contained on the disc? Rob Zombie admits to voluntarily chopping his opus down to appease the MPAA, and he's happy with the theatrical cut. So how much can we expect when the DVD arrives?

Eric, over at The Bloody Good Horror Page, recently interviewed "Corpses" star Bill Moseley - Otis himself ("Total block, total block!"). Interestingly enough, Bill claims we're missing a whole shitload of "Corpses" goodness. Here's what he told Eric...

"I've seen [Corpses] four times, and it just kinda grows on you! It's so much fun to see it as it is - hard to believe that Rob Zombie had to cut 20-30 minutes of footage just to satisfy the ratings board, the get that "R" instead of an "NC-17"! You know that that footage is going to be included on the DVD!"

Huh. 20-30 minutes? That's pretty extensive. We'll all just have to cross our fingers and wait for that day when Lions Gate Home Ent. to announce the DVD release. Then we'll see what we're in for. To read the rest of Eric's review, click here.

if they release this uncut it might make it a whole new movie.

14. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

That'd be a long movie! Who knows, it might not suck after that.

15. landrvr

landrvr Guest

One sees the movie and certainly gets the impression that there were cuts left and right. It feels really stunted. Again, there's more blood in an episode of CSI: Miami.......

The scene where Otis blows away the cop. Classic example. I mean, goddamit. No Blood. NO Blood. A big buildup for nothing but a cheap puff of smoke. Jeesh.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2003
  16. Luna

Luna Guest

Ok, that's true... I did expect to see some blood and brains flying everywhere. I'll give ya that... it certainly would have been nice to see some splattered grey matter. :p
    While I don't think the uncut version will restore any of that (assuming it had existed in the first place), I still can't wait to see what was deleted. :D

17. chrishicks

Re: House of a 1000 Corpses

will I be able to burn this to a CD-R afterwards to watch on my DVD player?

18. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

If the format is compatible, your burning software can burn VCDs and your DVD player can play VCDs.

19. Luna

Luna Guest

I've been having a problem converting certain .avi files to .mpg for VCD purposes. I have a feeling it has to do with being some sort of divx, but I'm not positive about this. I mainly have the problem with MST3K episodes I download but I think House of 1000 Corpses may have been another like that. American Psycho 2 was definitely another of these.

Any ideas? I use TMPGEnc.

20. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

What does TMPGEnc do? Encode MPG files, or make VCDs?