House of 1000 Corpses (MERGED)

Discussion in 'General' started by John, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Luna

Luna Guest

Basically, you can encode various MPG and AVI files to VCD/SVCD compliant (mpeg-1 or 2) ones, and while some AVI files work, some don't... and the ones that don't are the ones I REALLY would like to work, such as the MST3K episodes which can be found on Kazaa and other fine filesharing programs. :(

I just don't know why the bastards won't work. I figure it has to be some wacky codec problem, but I can't be sure. I can view the files and they look just fine... but I can't run 'em through TMPGEnc, grr. :mad:

Ya know, I like that people try to find the best possible codec to use on things -- I can understand the need for perfection, but for fuck's sake... there are just TOO many tweaked versions for my taste. Pick a fucking codec and stick with it... and make sure it can be made into an MPG with some ease. Who the hell wants to sit at a computer for 2 hours to watch something that could be burned to VCDs and watched in the comfort of your own bed/couch/what have you... argh! When DVD players are able to play all sorts of AVI files, and when I own such a beast, I will be a very happy camper. :p

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Luna, you probably got TMPGenc from www.vcdhelp.com, which has lots of help files and a great forum, but I had some issues before with divx files too. Try to track down the divx codec package, which has all the codecs and such, your system needs. This will probably help. It did for me. I have the name of the file at home if you have a problem, let me know, and I'll look it up for you. Also, one time, I had to seperate the video and audio and put them in TMPGenc seperately. I used Virtualdub.

In other news...
    HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES DVD!: How many deleted scenes are going to be contained on the disc? Rob Zombie admits to voluntarily chopping his opus down to appease the MPAA, and he's happy with the theatrical cut. So how much can we expect when the DVD arrives?

Rob Zombie had to cut 20-30 minutes of footage just to satisfy the ratings board, the get that "R" instead of an "NC-17"! You know that that footage is going to be included on the DVD!" (thanks to Creature-Corner.com)

3. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Ah. I've made a few VCDs, but I used Nero to do it. I haven't really given it much effort to figure out what codecs I'd need, or why some files don't work. I know what you mean about some files not working, though. It usually is the stuff that you really want that doesn't work.

4. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

so does anyone have House of a 1000 that actually works in a DVD player?

5. Luna

Luna Guest

VCDHelp.com is a good resource... I'll have to see if I can find the stuff I need there. If I have to separate the audio and video, and as long as it'll actually work, so be it. :)
    I don't know how he could be happy with a chopped version, as its creator, unless those 20-30 minutes are crappy. I wouldn't THINK they'd be much different from what we saw in the movie, but who knows... I hope we'll all have a chance to decide for ourselves. ;)

6. Luna

Luna Guest

I'm mainly using B's Recorder Gold ('cause it came with the CD-RW) and just installed VCDEasy last night to try to burn an SVCD of something. Didn't work right, so I'm gonna have to play around with it, no doubt. Unless I can find a good program that can burn both VCD and SVCD (B's won't do SVCD as far as I've seen) ... I should install Nero, heh.

And YES, it's ALWAYS the ones I TRULY want on VCD that won't actually work. Argh! :fire:

I'm getting whatever MST3K I don't own (not too many to get, as I have TONS I taped years ago from Comedy Central and Sci-Fi) and whatever I DO get uses that particular codec that just won't work in TMPGEnc as of yet. Frustrating... I also tried to use my video card to play the file on my computer and send it to my VCR for recording that way. No dice, as these .avi files show up as a black screen on my TV. Grr. :fuck:

Btw, love the avatar. :lol:

7. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh, I wish. :p

8. Shannafey

Luna, definitely get that codec pack. It helps. I will get you the name. It's on my pc at home. Or if it's small, I can email it to you, if necessary. Also, Nero is the best I've found for vcds and svcds. Works great. I make vcds out of everything, since I don't like to sit in front of my pc and watch a film. I want to watch it from my couch. A lot of times I do XVCDs. They are just vcds with a much higher bitrate. Not all dvd players run them, but my Pioneer does. My friend's Pioneer doesn't since I sent him some and they played slowly. vcdhelp has a compatibility chart as well. XVCDs and VCDs are better for future use, since they can be converted easier to dvd. They are the right resolution, you just have to change the audio from 44k to 48k. SVCDs are scary to me, since there compatibility is real limited. I can play them on my equipment, but again, I like to send stuff to people as well as trade, and I like a format that most people can play. If the movie means a lot to me, I will use XVCD, especially with home movies. Then, I might make a seperate vcd for the archives for future trades. Most of the stuff I convert isn't divx, it's stuff I dump in to my Studio DC10+ card off vhs.

9. Luna

Luna Guest

Thank you! :D
    Exactly. I've tried SVCDs on my Apex and the audio is about a second out of sync, just enough to be really annoying. These were burned using Ulead Video Studio 6, and the video just looked too soft for me anyway.

I'd just about given up on them, except I thought maybe VCDEasy might be better with 'em. On my first try, I'd say definitely not... at any rate, I will be getting a DVD burner fairly soon (by July, for my b-day, WOOHOO!) so I'm trying to save anything I REALLY like in the highest quality possible. This rules out any downloaded stuff, which are always the ones that have problems for me, but you know, as far as stuff I record off air, like Tales From The Crypt.

Btw, I believe I have DivX codecs 3.11 alpha and 5 installed... I never did get around to installing 4 as far as I recall.

10. Shannafey

Luna, I believe that file is called hybridDivx-1.3.0.4. That's the only file I can find on my system that sounds like it. It is 1.5 mb, so I couldn't upload it easily. Don't laugh, but my stupid connection is 28.8. Damn area phone lines. But, do a search for that file, or divx codec pack. There's a site called www.divx.com They might have it. I am so ready for a dvd recorder myself, but I also need a new motherboard and processor first. I mentioned in another post, I borrowed one of those set top dvd-r recorders from a client this week. You just hook up a vcr and put in a dvd-r and press record. I shoot video professionally, so I dumped a Betacam tape in to test it. I also dumped one of my old vhs tapes in. The quality is amazing!! You can get one for under $400, though a dvd drive for the pc is around $200, but it won't be real time. I am real tempted to get one of these and transfer my whole 600+ tapes to dvd. You can even change modes to get either 1, 2, 4 or 6 hours on a dvd and you can make a simple menu. Cool toy!!

11. Luna

Luna Guest

Thank you so much! I'll look it up. And oh wow, I'm sorry about the 28.8. I had a problem some years ago where I'd be lucky to connect at 12.2 or some insane speed on my 56k modem. I was NOT pleased, as I'd just shelled out close to $150 for the modem, ugh! We pestered the phone company and eventually it got fixed. So yeah, I understand about that connection!
    Oh god that sounds great! Right now, my father is busy transferring all our old home movies from Beta to DVD quality video, for later DVD burning. He's getting us both the same burner, most likely, because we're both afflicted with technolust. If I told him about this he'd flip. :D

12. Shannafey

Luna, if you get that codec working and make a vcd, let me know. I wouldn't mind a copy, and I have tons of rare stuff on vcd to trade. TV shows, films, you name it.

As for transferring tons of stuff to dvd, those recorders seem like the ONLY way to go, since when you have a capture card, you have to render the mpeg2 file, and then it takes a good 1/2 hour to burn the dvd, so, much more effecient!! I have been transferring tons of stuff to vcd for the past couple of years, but now I'm at a point where I don't know if I want to continue, or wait to get the dvd burner. The expense difference is a major factor. Not just equipment, but blanks. CDRs= .10 each DVD-rs=$1+ each. But the quality sure makes a difference. Well, I chatted enough. Off to bed. Catch you later.

13. Luna

Luna Guest

Will do! So far I found it for BeOS, which would have benefitted me had I been using my old computer with BeOS 5 on it, but well... I must keep looking! :D
    Damn, so it would seem! Must gently hint to my father about this, so that he might get ideas in his head... expensive ideas. :evil:

14. marioscido

marioscido New Member

I guess I'm arriving late in this conversation, but I finally saw this movie tonight, and I thought it was horrible. Actually, it made me angry!! I thankfully waited for it to hit the second-run movie house here in town in order to save money.

This film is nothing more than MTV pseudo-horror for pre-pubescent (and apolitical) teenagers. I say apolitical, because in the interviews I have read with Rob Zombie, he goes on and on about 1970s horror and how great it is, and how his film is a homage to the era. I agree with him with respect to 70s horror, but this isn’t a homage to the era. In fact, Zombie betrays the contestational spirit of the era by stripping his film of all political content. We are left with a post-modern self-referentialism that is tired and overblown. This thinly-veiled attempt at horror spectacle has no script, absolutely no direction, pointless rock-video editing, and most of all, no spirit. The film is an insult to TCM. What a mess... The film looks like a beer commercial for Marilyn Manson fans. Who the fuck cares about an uncut dvd. Like I want to see more footage from this stupidity.

15. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES sequel gets go-ahead

Rob Zombie will be laughing it up at Universal Pictures expense today. After Universal lett go of Zombie's directorial film debut, HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES , the film was finally picked up for distribution by Lion's Gate Entertainment and recently released. After earning $11 million bucks so far at the box office, Lion's Gate has given Zombie the go-ahead to make a sequel, which he'll both write and direct.

The studio expects Zombie to film his sequel sometime this fall for an intended release in April of 2004. Reprising their roles as the demented evildoers will be Sig Haig, Bill Mosley, Karen Black and Sherri Moon.

taken from www.cinescape.com

16. Trucci

Trucci Guest

I liked it.

17. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

why a sequel? how bout a remake :p, or something different.

18. robman795

robman795 Guest

A sequal? :nervous: What was the buget for the flick? I thought the film would have to make more then $11 million to warrent a sequal. But when even direct to video shit gets sequals its not surprizing.

19. I vote something different, myself.

I guess I was one of the people going into the film with high expectations, sort of. I'd heard from enough people that it wasn't this great monument to horror like everyone had come to expect (hope for), but I still thought it would at least be... well, horror. Which I suppose it is, kind of- after all, there are killings and violence and monsters, and these days that's what makes up a horror movie. I just prefer my horror movies to be frightening, psychologically intense, or barring that, full of exploding heads (cheap thrills are still thrills, right?). This wasn't art, it wasn't horror, and it wasn't revolutionary. It was, however, an hour and a half of killer atmosphere and neat gags, glossed up with TRL production values and packaged in a scary box. Which is good. Just not great.

In the end, though, I think Rob Zombie's movie career is off to a solid start- this film is better than most directors' firsts, and with any luck he'll tighten things up a bit for his next project.

By the way, is it just me or were all the best parts of the movie in the first third or so? Man, I was loving it until about 45 minutes in...

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Is anyone surprised? I'm sure some of you will be the first in line, isn't that right MrGrim?