House of Flying Daggers

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Deaddevilman, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

2. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

Badass - thanks for the link DDM!

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Has anyone seen this yet? :)

4. BloodMan

I ask again... Has anyone seen this yet? :) :)
    When is this going to be on DVD?

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

kungfucinema.com says it is getting a U.S. theatrical release.I haven't seen it yet,but look forward to it.

6. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

it WILL be hitting the theaters later this year. It's Sony Entertainment, not Miramax, and they're going on the success of Hero. Right now it's still on the film festival circuit, but it's scheduled for a December release here.

8. Dwhots

Dwhots New Member

I got it on the weekend and I loved it. Amazing fight scenes, story and beautiful colors. I enjoyed it more than Hero, and that is saying a lot. Great movie, picked this one up now.

9. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

I got to see it last week.

I'd say its slightly better than Hero, though having a certain character taking ages to die made it seem a bit silly.

The Transfer for the dvd is good but not great. Id recomend potential buyers to hold out and wait for a 2 disc /japanese/korean edition.

10. BloodMan

The DVD I ordered has not arrived yet. :( Maybe this week sometime. :)

11. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I watched the US DVD last night, and I have to agree with you. The movie was just so beautiful and a treat to behold. I had no idea I had such a good tv until just last night. Even when the movie threatened to sink into dire melodrama, the actors and the sheer beauty of it all made it impossible for me not to just love every minute of it. I am watching the special features tonight, but the US release looks and sounds great. However, dvdaf has it listed as edited. I wonder what that is all about. Mine was 119 minutes, and most of the Asian versions are listed as "120 mins. (approx.)" so it can't be too very much. Right?

12. BloodMan

I think the US release digitally removed some "gushing" blood in a couple shots. I think... I thought I read that somewhere some months back. Could be wrong.

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Thank you. You are correct and enabled me to do a better search and find out what the scenes are. This site does a good job of explaining what was cut. I am liking instead of c/ping because, well, there are spoilers a mundo there and it is just better this way. It doesn't sound like too terribly much was cut, and one of the cuts may have helped the movie actually, but still. I will not get another disc to get the full version, because they are small, this disc is beautiful, and the commentary is insightful.

Edited to add: The cut scenes can be downloaded here, but of course, there are spoilers there so be careful.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2005
  14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I agree, it was better than HERO...which I personally found to be an unending bore.

15. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Ending sucked!

16. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

so the US dvd will be edited? Ah, looks like I'll be putting my money toward the region 0. Good thing, I was gonna buy the US dvd tomorrow. Oh well, they wont be getting my cash

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

It is definitely edited. Not by much and the edited scenes are available online, but still. The R1 disc is very good with great extras, but I may have gotten a different edition had I known in advance. I am not sure though. I also read the the UK version was edited differently to take out scenes of "animal cruelty (falling horses or something) and that these cuts amounted to 18 seconds. So, best to stay away from those too.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I caught up with this one today.

As hs already been mentioned, there are times during this movie when you really coudl care les what is going on - it's so beautiful to watch. The colors are amazing - and yes, my eyes did pop ;)

Someone mentioned here that they didn't think the R1 transfer was great, and I'll go on record as disagreeing with that - it did look pretty great to me.

As for the film itself, stripping out the splendor of the visuals.... well, it struck me that it really wasn't sure what it wanted to be, so sat unconfortably in the middle ground. This is a love story, period. However, it's also got a lot of fight scenes in it. In a pinch, they throw out the fight/war story though, and concentrate on the love angle. And personally, I found some of those scenes really killed the pace - they just went on too long.

Also, the scale of the battle looming just made the love story petty ridiculous. I won't go into detail, don't want to add spoilers, but given what was about to go down, weren't these two just incredibly selfish?

So, on some levels it worked.... great soundtrack - fantastic colors - wonderful sets - wonderful cinematography - great ideas - great costumes...... on another it didn't - the pacing, the loooooonnnnnggggg love story - some wire work that just looked daft - oodles upon oodles of CGI, some rather annoying.

I'm going to give it a thumbs up because of the pluses - it's just gorgeous. However, it's not a perfect movie.