House of the long shadows

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Apollon, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Apollon

Apollon New Member

I just noticed "House of the Long shadows" has been released by MGM few days ago. I havent seen this movie before but with both Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price in the same movie it should mean three times the fun. But then I noticed its not DVD but made on demand DVD-R. :(
    According to the reviews on amazon there seems to be several problems with the disc including freeze framing:
    http://www.amazon.com/House-Long-Sh...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272121319&sr=1-1
    How realistic is it that MGM will give this movie a proper DVD release later in for instance their "Midnite movies" you think? Maybe we should start a petition or something.:) As much as I'd loved to see this film I'm a bit aweary to buy it with all the problems reported. But if thats the only option we have for many years to come I guess I might have to. Are there any other editions out there thats better than this MGM DVD-R?

2. cjg

cjg Active Member

I watched this the other night it looks bad and is bad

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've read a couple of reviews that state the MGM DVD-R transfer is crap. I still have the VHS, so I'll remain happy with it until a proper release comes along.

4. Katatonia

Screen comparisons have been posted on another forum between the new DVD-R and the old VHS.

Yuck! I'll gladly keep my old VHS tape!

5. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

6. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I don't think I ever heard of this. I thought it had something to do with the Dark Shadows television show.

7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

A couple years back this was listed for a while as an upcoming DVD release on Amazon. IIRC region 2 (i.e. amazon.co.uk). As the release date approached I kept waiting to pull the order trigger, and the day came and...the listed was removed. Check around and find the release had been cancelled, with no stated reasons.

Then this listing pops up, as a direct MGM DVD-R. Big downgrade right there, but I figure before passing judgement I'd wait for it to come out and see if there's anything redeemable in the reviews about the transfer quality. Sadly, seems my fears were justified.

And so now I patiently wait again, while this title gathers dust on my OOP wishlist.

8. Katatonia

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Much as I wish that I could say that HOLS is a classic film, it's really anything but and it isn't any wonder why it still has yet to get a decent release. Hopefully without giving away too much of a spoiler, it has one of those legendarily maligned endings that would cause most otherwise civilized viewer to chuck large objects at the screen.

10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Great news, this is a definite pre-order for me! I'm so glad I didn't cave and buy that shitty DVD-R, I mean even if this one is the same it's still going to be on a DVD.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The DVD-R is out of print now, so it's very possible MGM decided to do something about it and make a new transfer. The UK disc isn't directly from MGM though so who knows.

I'd have a laugh at anyone who paid inflated prices for a DVD-R after it went out of print.

12. Katatonia

I'd laugh at anyone who paid anything for it. You could get a superior transfer just from transferring the old VHS tape.

13. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

My big problem isn't the MOD DVD-R, it's the 4x3 aspect ratio. WTF, 1983 just called, it wants its movie transfer back!