House On Sorority Row

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, Oct 19, 2001.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I really like HOSR, one of my Top 10 fave slashers. its very classy. there is some really suspenseful scenes, a little gore (I love the head in toilet) overall i think it is one of the better late slashers of the 80s!

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm sure y'all heard there's a remake of this one...*sigh*

3. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Yup, and the sad thing with a lot of these remakes such as this one and My Bloody Valentine (among dozens and dozens of others) is that they're lesser known (when compared to Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street) and not advertised as remakes. Newer generations and non-slasher/horror fans seem to think these are new, original movies. Granted, a lot them are nothing like the original, but still.

4. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

If there is going to be a remake maybe somebody will find the ending for the original. I love this movie. I can't see why nobody would enjoy it, but then again I'm an 80's child.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I showed this around Halloween to some friends and they enjoyed it. I think the soundtrack and most of the actresses make the film. Nicely directed, too. It doesn't have that bottom-of-the-barrel appeal like most slashers did at the time. Shame about the lousy distribution and misleading movie poster (love the artwork, but it says nothing about what the film is actually about).
    Everyone loved the bitchy Vicky right off the bat, though.
    The effects work though...rather crude. The film would have really soared if they had that Savini-type of magic working in its favor.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agreed. I thought it was pretty good, but definitely would have been a lot better had it had way better kills and gore.

7. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Does anyone know if the censors snipped any of the rubbery gore from this one?The cuts seem to come awfully quick..

8. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I didn't really miss the gore...

The films strength in my book is the suspense generated by the final chase... and the prospect of the murder of Mrs. Slater being discovered.

I like this one a lot. I wasn't too impressed on the first viewing, because I'd seen it compared to Black Christmas a few times - and quite frankly, it's not that good. On subsequent viewings, though, I've come to appreciate the atmosphere, the overall plot, the suspense, Eileen Davidson's wonderfully bitchy Vicky, and even some of the effects - true, some look rubbery, but others really work despite their simplicity (cane in the eye, head in the toilet).

I imagine you'd have to be a slasher fan to really enjoy it, though - or maybe an Eileen Davidson enthusiast. ;)

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I enjoyed House on Sorority Row. Was one of the first slashers I ever saw, and I guess it stuck with me. And yeah, that end chase scene was pretty well-done.

~Matt