Housebound(2014) New Zealand Horror/Comedy

Discussion in 'General' started by Paul0889, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

Just watched this today, it's out on itunes and vod. I LOVED this movie, it's probably the best horror comedy since Tucker and Dale, in fact THIS is not only better but funnier as well. It's dead alive and tucker and dale meets the people under the stairs. there's a lot of laugh out loud parts, particularly from the mother character, and some nice gory bits scattered throughout. check this out when you can, it's great!

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I thought it was amazingly lame, walked out after an hour

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Saw it at After Dark and really liked it. Thought it was cute and very witty. Original in that it combined unlikely story lines.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Thanks to this post I tracked it down and thought it was great. Hilarious at times and surprisingly quite spooky at others. I thought it was very well made and shot. All the characters were great too. I'd have to say this is a new favorite of mine. Thanks Paul for pointing it out :)

5. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Maybe I hyped it up too much. It was a fun movie, and as Zombie Dude said "quite spooky" too! I wasn't much impressed with the ending revelations but it's worth a watch.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I finally caught up with this on NetFlix last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I wasn't entirely sold on the first half, as it mostly felt like yet another generic ghost movie in the vein of Insidious, Oculus, etc. But the playful last half completely won me over, loaded with scares, twists, and cat-and-mouse sequences. I can't say the movie is very original, as there was a movie a couple years ago (see the spoiler below) with the exact same premise and twist, and even that movie was a big rip-off of a '70s TV movie (again, see the spoiler below). But unlike that snoozefest from a couple years ago, this one at least had fun with the premise and delivered a solid little rollercoaster of a movie. I would highly recommend giving it a look, and if you have a NetFlix account already you can watch it for free. If I had seen it last year, it might have even cracked my Top 10 list, or at least have gotten an honorable mention.

If I had a problem with the film, it was the main character, who is pretty much an unlikable twat for about 75% of the running time. Not only is the character written as unlikable, but the actress they chose to play her has the worst case of "resting bitch face" I've ever seen. Fortunately, there are lovable side characters to carry the film. I adored the mom and Amos.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of places categorize this as a horror comedy. In fact, NetFlix has it categorized under Comedy instead of Horror. There's definitely humor throughout, and the tone is very lite and playful, but I thought it was first and foremost a horror film. It's about as much of a horror comedy as The Babadook.

The movies referenced above (if you have seen either of these, it will spoil Housebound, so proceed with caution):
    The Pact
    Bad Ronald

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Totally disagree with your comments about this being as much a comedy as The Babadook. It easily fits into horror comedy with amusing dialogue and character antics. It had me and the gf laughing our asses off in some spots.