How are RING 2 and RING 0 ?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by DefJeff, Dec 4, 2003.

1. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I was SO close to ordering these today, but I decided against it since they were a little pricey for a blind buy.

Anyways, I am curious, and I know you guys can help me. How are these 2 movies? Do they retain any feel of the original, Ringu?

2. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

I like Ring 2 alot, it carries on directly from the end of the first movie and has far more scary nightmarish scenes...plotwise its certainly more complex and some of it didnt make complete sense, but i really enjoyed it nevertheless.One certain scene sent shivers down my spine! and its not often that happens.
    As for Ring 0 (prequel) i quite enjoyed it, but not as much as movies 1 & 2...the last half was definately better than the first.
    All in all if your a fan of the first movie and are intrigued about the background and history surrounding Sadako then i would definately check these out.

3. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I recently reviewed Ring 0 as my (irregular) Asian movie of the month. An enjoyable film and faithful to the original in its atmosphere and pace.

Didn't enjoy Ring 2 - a very poor sequel, IMHO. The film just didn't work for me.

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Ring 2 bored the hell out of me!

5. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

I enjoyed Ring 2 much more than the original.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

me too Azathoth; Ring 2 is my favorite of the whole series, with The Spiral coming in second.

7. Wermode

Wermode New Member

One more opinion... I thought Ring 0 was a nice character study, a decent film on its own regardless of its status as a prequel. It won't grab you like Ring did, but it's worth your time. I got mine for $9 or $10.

Ring 2 does little for me. Instead of the "vengeful ghost" story and curse, it focuses on ESP, "psychic photography," pseudoscience, and bullshit like that. I know that stuff was touched on in the original, but I don't find it scary so much as just lame. Others find it frightening. To each his own.

8. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

i thought both Ring 2 and Ring 0 were terrible, with Ring 0 being slightly better. i have no plans to ever watch these again unless a friend is curious to see them. both were very disappointing.

i hope the american sequel will be a seperate entity, even hollywood should be able to do it better, even tho i think The Ring (US) was very bad i am looking forward to see how they do a sequel.

9. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Thanks for the input. Well , the opinions seem to vary on these two, I think I am going to hold off on them for awhile, at least until I can get them cheaper. Thanks again.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

So what is everyones views on these all these months down the road? Over the last three nights, I have consumed the following four films:

The Ring (Japanese - Tartan)
    Ring 2 (Japanese - Tartan)
    Ring O (Japanese - Tartan)
    The Ring (US release).

It's been quite a ride, and I've not had this much fun with a series of films in quite some time.

I maybe should start my biref comments with the US version of The Ring. I enjoyed it to a degree, and there's nothing particular I have an issue with. However, I simply felt that it was uneccesary. Again, it's well made, and it does have some good moments. But if you've seen the Japanese film of the same name, there's just no reason to bother with it. It added nothing to the overall experience for me, and I'd rather stick with the originals.

The originals were a lot of fun, even if they didn't always go the way you thought they might. The Ring is classic, imo. It's scary, it's mysterious, and it leaves you with some questions.

Ring 2 goes off on a lsightly different tack, since it's revealed that the movie is not about the Tape at all, or even about the movie. Some might find this a bit disapointing, but I was glad it wasn't simply a lame retread of the original. There is some funky pseudo-science that hurts it a bit, but if you can get over a couple of scenes, it's a good film.

Ring 0 was really good too. Again, it destroys your expectations (those wanting more herky jerky Sadako wantingly killing people are going to be disapointed). It instead fills out some back story, and turns the tables by making Sadako a figure you can sympathize with, rather than simply run away from.

The main issue for some people will be that Ring 0 steadfastly refuses to provide all the answers. You really want it to, but trust me, you're still going to have questions by the end.

Each of the films are very well made, with good actors. Even during some slow times, I found myself compelled to keep watching. The series as a whole is captivating, and I'll definately be revisiting the entire series. I can see myself really getting into this mythology.

I confess to be confused beyond belief at all the remakes, retreads, and other versions of this and that. What is Ring Spiral? What is Ring Virus? Is there anything else I should know? Info please!

Lately I have had the pleasure of being floored by some great films. These wre just more to pile on to the great ones. I really enjoyed every single one of these films. No, Ring 2 and Ring 0 do not set out to give more thrills like the original. Instead, that pace out the boundaries of the story, and fill in the gaps. I really enjoyed that, it was the kind of sequelitus that made the journey worthwhile, and made the story stronger with each offering, rather than petering out as I got bored of the same old same old.

Defjeff - did you ever check these out? If not, I reckon it is time to do it. They're good entertainment.

11. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I love all three Ring films, the original definitely being my favorite. Easily one of the best horror series I've had the pleasure of seeing, and it deserves to become a classic series in my eyes. The Ring Virus is an excellent Korean film based on the same novel that the original Ring is based on. Its a marvelous film, creepy and beyond intriguing, and I think I may even like it a little more than Ring. Have yet to see Ring Spiral.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2006
  12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

So "ring Virus" is a re-imaging then? Hm, interesting. For such a young(ish) story, it's sure hit the screen plenty of times!

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

One more - check out this cool Sadako shirt. Have a couple of Battle Royale too.

Sadako Shirt

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Didn't see Ring 0, but Ring 2 bored the hell out of me!

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Huh, we found it anything but boring. I actually thought it was a pretty neat take on the first film - going ahead and explaining a lot about what's really going on. Since The Ring is not really about the tape, as such, it needed to move in another direction. I think Ring 2 is very good.

Ring 0 - yeah, liked it too.

17. dayglo

dayglo Member

I did like Ring 2, but when you got into the water and swimming pool stuff, I was finding it to get real silly real quick. I'll probably give it another viewing since it's been a while, maybe my opinion will differ.

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

well Ring Virus is suppose to follow the book more closely. i haven't read the book, but that's what i read in regards to the movie. at any rate, i liked the Ring Virus. it was yet another take on the storyline. last i heard, there is an Indian remake being planned. that should be interesting if it happens!!

19. I found the hair combing/mirror translocating scene in Ring 2 super creepy

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--I did like Ring 2, but when you got into the water and swimming pool stuff, I was finding it to get real silly real quick.--

Yup, those scenes are a little weak. However, everything around it is excellent, so I easily got over it. It's the "pseudo-science" I spoke of earlier. It KINDA makes sense, when you know where Sadako comes from, but it's hokey for sure.