How are RING 2 and RING 0 ?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by DefJeff, Dec 4, 2003.

1. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

I didn't see this mentoined here, so I figured I would throw it in:

Ring: Spiral is a sequel to Ring.

The story is that this was shot at the same time as Ring and was meant to continue the story, but many people thought it was so horrible that another (Ring 2) was made to take its place. I can't verify the truth to this, but I've heard this same story a few times.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's also mentioned in the production notes on the R2 release. Apparently it plain wasn't very good. Wouldn't mind find out :)

3. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

Spiral was the original Ring 2. It was made quickly because of the success of The Ring but due to the bad reaction it got pulled from the cinema and Hideo nakata made Ring 2 to replace it.

Spiral has some nice ideas in the beginning but ruins it as the film progresses.

Ring 0 is my favourite Ring sequel. Though not really a horror, the characters are interesting. It stands on its own two feet and could be a stand alone film like empire strikes back is to the star wars trilogy.

4. Il Corvo

Il Corvo Guest

Please, Please, Please somebody pick up the rights and release them in R1.

Those are bare none, the 2 movies I'm anticipating the most.

5. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

So I finally got around to checking out Ringu 2 and Rasen. Ringu 0 is up next.

I thought Ringu 2 was an excellent follow up to the original. I really enjoyed where they went with the story on this one, not to mention the characters and atmosphere which were superb. I'll be damned if
    Sadako climbing out of the well with Mai and the little boy trying to climb up
    wasn't done better in this film (as opposed to the American remake's CGI fest) and creeped the shit out of me. Her face? Yikes!

What's with the ending on this one though? Was the girl the reporter got the tape from
    Sadako in another form? Was the girl just possessed by Sadako? at the end of the film, the reporter is possed by Sadako, right? (awesome scene, I might add)
    I didn't quite get what ended up happening there, although I got the point it was trying to bring across.

Rasen is also worth checking out. I am glad they made Ringu 2 to give us a closer sequal to Ringu, but I'd like to look at Rasen as a "side story" so to speak. The music in this one was cool, as well as the characters, especially Dr. Ando. I loved
    the way they made the characters end up being evil and the bleak ending that came with it.
    My main problem with this one wasn't only the lack of scares, but also how silly it ended up getting
    first Sadako's curse ends up being a virus that is transported through reading a journal? :lol: Then they throw out the idea of impregnating Sadako to bring dead people back to life and use a procedure to speed up their growth so they are back exactly as how they died?
    Sorry, but I was groaning by the end of the movie.

All in all though, I am so happy to get these movies in R1 (with that new boxset and all) and so far they are well worth the price and your time.

6. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I might pick up that new boxset if I can find it around here. Never saw the other ones besides the first.

7. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Well, I got to watch Ringu 0 today and thought it was great. It reminded me of "Carrie" a bit.

I loved the backstory on Sadako, which really did a fantastic job of making me feel for her. I was sitting there hoping the movie would just say "fuck it" and
    give us a happy ending. I didn't want to see her in the well!
    But hey, that's pretty delusional. The characters were all good, especially
    Sadako's love interest
    , Toyama.

There were a couple creepy moments, the whole scene with Sadako's teacher visiting the house and
    Sadako finally getting her revenge at the end
    spring to mind immediatly and worked quite well for me.

On the downside though, I felt the story got a bit silly during the whole
    Sadako split into 2 different people
    thing. I mean, I got what the movie was telling me, but I was still left with a "huh?" feeling. Also at times I found the music to be somewhat.. unfitting.

Overall, I thought this was another excellent entry into the series and I am thrilled I was finally able to see these great films. Highly recommended.

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Oh me too! I got very involved in Ringu O on its own merits and
    was too sitting there hoping that the movie would just say "fuck those other movies" and spare her the well. I really cared for her and her boyfriend and I wanted a happy (or at least not epically painful) ending so much I could taste it. Damn it. That movie made me play myself for a sucker. Impressive work.

Despite some issues with both of their endings, I liked Ringu 2 and Rasen. However, Ringo O is for sure my favorite of the sequels. I just felt more emotionally involved in the story. I was right there, in the moment, feeling everything. It was a powerful movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
  9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, tonight I had a Ringfest. Huh, has it really been 14 months since my last visit to these films?

This time around I think I aprpeciated these films even more, to be honest. The Ring is a classic, and Ring 2 is an excellent follow up. Ring 0 is a brave film in many ways, turning the tables on us.

Watching them back to back enhances the films, imo. You can really get into the story, and the lesser characters from the first film carry on and take leads in the second - the continuity is a nice touch.

Reading comment in the Ring 2 remake thread, specifically about the fiolm not being about a tape.... well, the original films weren't about a tape either. As time has passed, I have now become familiar with the novels these films are based on too - and none of the films follow the path of the novel in any detail (there are simularities, but nothing substantial). In other words, the other films not being about a tape is, well, the story of Sadako - the story of The Ring, and therefore legitimate, imo.

Why did they change the name for the US movies, anyone know? Why go from Sadako to Samara? How annoying.....

Anyway - for those than own these, and if you have almost 5 hours to spare, you can have a good night in pushing them into the player back to back. I hope to see them again soon.... or maybe it'll be an other 14 months.... who knows.

Next up - the two US films again - just for completeness.

10. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Ring 2... watched it finally (the japanese one) and it was very good. Her face... good god that was some creepy shit. :)

11. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

During the month of October I watched Ring, Ring 2 , Ring 0, Rasen, and Ring Virus.
    If anyone is still confused after all these posts, these are all good movies, some better than others. The original Ring aka RINGU is a masterpiece of J-horror and should be in every DVD collection. The Ring Virus is a Korean version of the same story, that is interesting and provides different twists and plot lines, but ultimately falls short of greatness. Both Ring 2 and RASEN (Spiral) are direct sequels to RINGU. Ring 2 is like the Japanese version of Exorcist 2, with it's scientific mumbo jumbo, but is definitely the better of the two films. there are some VERY creepy moments in Ring 2. RASEN was shot back to back with the original Ring, but turned out to be a slow moving and relatively scare free film. Ring 0 is a fascinating movie dealing with the history of the Ring mythology and is highly recommended! The US Ring remake is very worthwile, although the US Ring 2 is possibly one of the worst films of the decade!!

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I need to revisit the US Ring 2, because I didn't think it was that bad. I also still ned to pick up Rasen..... Ring Virus had some more of the novel in it - but the climatic walk just wasn't scary.