How do you feel about PAL speedup?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by dave13, Sep 21, 2012.

?

How do you feel about PAL speedup?

1. I don't notice it.

58.8%
  2. I notice, but it's never bothered me.

11.8%
  3. It bothered me at first, but I've gotten used to it.

5.9%
  4. I can't stand it!

23.5%
  1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I've been region free for about 2 years now and haven't had a problem with PAL speedup being distracting as most of the other region DVDs I've been purchasing are films I've never seen before because they haven't been available in my region. I might notice it a bit on something I've seen numerous times, but it still probably wouldn't be enough for me to turn the film off.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

to be completely honest, a lot of people seem to feel the same way, and I can't quite understand it. the swaying of fabric, the movement of smoke and flame. it just appears so unnaturally fast to me. whether i've seen the film before or not is irrelevant - i know the speeds at which these things move in reality, and the fact that they're not behaving the way they should is incredibly noticeable to me.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It´s only 4% faster, so it´s not like it´s speeded up like an old silent movie played at the wrong speed, and I don´t really hear any difference with an actors voice in NTSC or PAL. The only time I´ve really noticed the difference were on a PAL disc of "Bulletproof Monk" where the DTS track had a difference pitch than the Dolby Digital track, which I noticed when I switched between them. So maybe most of the PAL disc, that done correctly have been pitch corrected, or do the PAL players have pitch correction built in?
    Been watching NTSC since back in the Laserdisc days in the early 90:s, and never noticed any difference with the sound switching from PAL VHS to the NTSC LD versions of my favorite movies.
    Maybe my hearing isn´t top notch from blasting Heavy Metal at full volume since back in 1982 :D

4. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

That would be a first... Built in pitch correction on PAL machines.
    The only correct way to play a NTSC or PAL content are computer DVD-Rom drives.

Every normal player is prepared only for one format, and the ones that allow to play other format are emulating it.

For instance, an NTSC players, despite capable of playing stuff for all regions, is primarily prepared play NTSC stuff, and the other stuff is emulated. Emulation, while very advanced, it´s still not perfect.

While most players play stuff from other regions flawlessly, there are still stuff that is not played perfectly, and even that depends from player to player.

I´m a PAL native, and so far I´ve got lots of NTSC stuff. The harware that I have nowadays plays it flawless, but I remember some 6/7 years back I had a region free DVD player that, despite playing all NTSC stuff, streched the ratio a little bit... ex: a 2:35.1 movie played like 2:30.1 or 2:25.1

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

As far as I can recall, the very first PAL disc that I ever owned was NIGHTMARE CITY from Italian Shock, which is a movie that I had literally seen dozens of times on NTSC VHS under the CITY OF THE WALKING DEAD title. I was apprehensive about the speed-up issue before buying it, something that delayed my willingness to take the region-free plunge. But when I watched it for the first time, I didn't notice any difference in terms of motion or sound. CITY OF THE WALKING DEAD/NIGHTMARE CITY is a pretty fast movie to begin with, fast-paced music, fast zombies chasing people, and I knew it pretty much by heart, and if I couldn't detect a change in that of all things, I figured I never would on any other movie.