How do you manage your movie collections?

Discussion in 'General' started by Horrorphilly, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I'm asking because like most of you guys, I have multiple copy's of the same movies on DVD and then on blu ray.Do you guys just pack away the DVD versions? Do you guys do the same with your DVDs as well? My storage is in need of some organization and knew you guys would be the best to ask.How do you guys organize your titles? by director? studio? actor?

Thanks
    Sean

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Once I get a film on blu I usually sell the dvd, unless I really like the packaging like the Evil Dead Ultimate Edition. Special features usually don't matter to me because it's rare that I'll re-watch them. If the blu is bare-bones though while the dvd has heaps of features I'll keep both.

I usually try and go though what I have and try to re-visit films I've only seen once to see if they're worth keeping or selling. It's slowly getting neater.

3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I separate DVDs and Blus.
    Then, I organize them by genre, and then alphabetically.

When it comes to double dipping or upgrading, I usually keep my old editions if extras and package are worth keeping it.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I also separate blu and dvd. It's all alphabetical ecpect for some sequels (Army of Darkness with Evil Dead, Bride and Seed of Chucky with Child's Play etc).

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Alphabetically, with dvds and blus kept separate. I used to try doing it by genre, but there wound up being too many that were hard to categorize to my liking so now I don't bother. At this point most of my horror movie dvds are kept in a closet. I wish I could get rid of them altogether and stick them onto an iPod like I did with my CDs.

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

When I upgrade I sell the earlier title unless there are extras which aren't included on the upgrade. My collection is separated by media and alphabetized. Currently they are in two large oak bookcases in my movie viewing room. I still have a few laserdiscs but since I don't own a player anymore they are kept separate from my blu-rays and DVD's.

7. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Alphabetical,DVDs and Blu-rays separate.I only keep the DVD titles I replace if there is extras on them not on the Blu-ray.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Same here, but I also keep by Horror media separate from the rest of the genre's which I just mix together alphabetically. 90% of my collection is horror.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I keep my Blu-rays separate from my DVDs. If I replace a DVD with a totally superior edition I'll sell it. Fortunately for most of the Hollywood stuff I held off for the Blu-ray early on. The bulk of my DVD collection are independent films that have trickled onto Blu-ray.

Mine are organized by genre, then chronologically by theatrical release year, then alphabetical within that year. Box sets set are placed at the end and organized chronologically by the earliest film in the set.

I do that because it's helpful in appreciating film history. You're given daily reminders what year a movie was released in and what was released around the same time. What came before. What came after.

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Alphabetically with every format (VHS, DVD, Blu) mixed together. Double/triple features come after Z and TV shows after those. I keep multiple copies if they have exclusive bonus features and leave them on the shelf next to the newer editions.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Mine are all mixed together (DVD & Blu-ray). I have them organized by release company and within that by release number. I used to just have them alphabetical and DVD and Blu-ray's separate, but when I built my current shelf I decided to go hardcore collector-style. It feels more like a library than just discs on a shelf this way. My VHS however are organized by genre, and then alphabetical.

Usually when I upgrade to Blu-ray I'll sell my DVD copy, unless the special features are different, or it's an alternate cut worth keeping, or it's been autographed. There are a few times where I've kept the DVD packaging and and just swapped the Blu-ray and DVD discs, and then sold the DVD with the Blu-ray packaging. (ie. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - kept the DVD steelbook case, but it now holds the Blu-ray)

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

For French movies, I have them organized by year, with DVD and blu ray mixed together. Otherwise, for DVD I have them sorted roughly by genre (horror, music, TV show, action, exploitation, comedy, drama, etc.) or by director sets (Tarantino, Miike, Argento, and a few others), but more or less random within each of those categories.

For blu ray they're organized by whether I've watched it yet or not, but more or less randomly within each of those.

I've sold I think all duplicate titles, and many DVDs that I'm planning to upgrade to blu ray have also been sold.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's exactly what I do also...

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Me too.

I have been selling off my DVDs as I replace them with Blus (or give them to a friend of mine if I can't at east get $5 for them).

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

My DVDs and blu-rays/HD-DVDs are separated, in alphabetical order, unless they are part of a series / franchise. Since I collect a wide range of franchises, it is a bit hectic. lol I also keep certain dvd series in one spot like MGM's Midnite Movies are on a dedicate shelf. As for having multiple copies across formats, I get a dual disc blu-ray case and put the DVD in with the blu-ray.

My VHS tapes are separated, though some of the franchise and better looking VHS covers do make their way onto my shelves as they just make my media room look neat. lol. And finally, all my CEDs are put away from everything else regardless if they are franchise titles.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  17. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I have all of my blu-rays first followed by DVDs and each format are in alphabetical order regardless of series entries with different names, for example, Army of Darkness is with the A's and the Evil Dead I & II are with the E's.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  18. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

This for me too. Everything is alphabetical, with all formats together (though I order a title by bluray, dvd, then vhs). My multi-packs are usually put into the alphabetical system by the first movie in the set.

On a related note, does anyone else have trouble getting rid of an earlier edition? I figure I already spent the money, so I might as well keep it. But man, the collection gets big.

19. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

VHS I imagine would be tough to get rid of these days, unless it was never released on DVD or blu ray, and then it might be a little easier. But even DVDs are a pain in the ass to get rid of these days. Don't expect more than a dollar each for them, and you might do ok with a little work, if that's worth it to you. Otherwise donate them.

20. lv426

lv426 New Member

By genre, and alphabetical, unless part of a series; in the sequence of the series' fictional timelines. Remakes are placed just after the original movies and their sequels ( get's tricky with the Night of the Living Dead seris(s) ). Documentaries regarding certain movie series', like Never Sleep Again, go after it's own relevant series, i.e. Nightmare On Elm St. If two or more series of movies "collide", I make a judgement call :rolleyes: i.e AvP, and Freddy vs Jason. I don't separate blus from dvds. I also may ditch sucky packaging for cooler ones. If the blu is barebones, and I have a dvd that isn't, I keep both. If I replace a dvd with a blu, and the special features don't matter to me, I give the dvd to friends or family. Kinda OCD but I like it. :D