How do you watch your Anime series?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Paff, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

For the Anime fans here (no, I will not used the word "otaku"...it's insulting). When you watch a 26 (or 13) episode series, do you do it in a few marathon sessions, or spread the episodes out over time? I'm a one-episode-a-day person, thus any given series takes nearly a month to watch. Plus, I'm a stickler for always watching the opening and closing animations...I bet those of you that do the marathons skip over them

I find that spreading out the episodes is especially good for series that become repetitive. Currently, I'm watching Noir, and that's often considered a repetitive show. Every episode, Mireille and Kirika get an assignment, they kill the guy, end of show. Repeat as necessary.

I can see how that would be bad if you were watching several shows in a stretch, but right now the highlight of my day is watching my daily Noir adventure. Even if it's fairly predictable.

2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I'll watch a DVD at a time. Be it 3 episodes or 5, it's what ever happens to be of that DVD.

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

3 at a time. :)

4. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I usually rent the entire series in order from Netflix, so I watch a disc a night ( anywhere from 3-5 episodes). It's not too much and not too little. Plus, I like to stay with a series from start to finish and not mix in other movies between episodes.

5. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

ewww, Noir ;)

All depends on how the series pulls me in. I watched Berserk for the first time in a week (I think every time I've RE-watched it, it's only taken me a week :p). I did the same with a lot of my favorites (Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, Infinite Ryvius, Excel Saga, SaiKano, RahXephon...), but a lot of times I do space them out. I've been watching Witch Hunter Robin since January, and I still have 6 episodes left. Not that I don't like it, I've just decided to watch a movie or throw a game in when I get some free time instead of watching a couple of episodes.

I will say I STRICTLY watch one series at a time. I don't mix series up. I used to when I was heavy into fansubs, but I used to always get the series mixed up, and ended up having to go back to previous episodes to remember what was going on.

Oh, and I don't watch the OP/ED unless I REALLY like the themes. I can't stand J-Pop, and a lot of it is awful. For example, the theme to Abenobashi is the DEVIL!!! Once in a while one stands out though, like Lain and RahXephon.

Hey, and one more thing!!! I never watch the "Next Episode" clips. Unless of course they're goofy and have nothing to do with the actual episode, like Excel Saga :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  6. Ash

Ash New Member

I watch mainly fansubs so I watch one episode at a time. I see no reason to download the entire series before watching them.

7. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

I tried watching some of that stuff on Adult Swim on the cartoon network recently but I just can't get into those japanese cartoons. I'll stick to the kung fu!

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Try watching Cowboy Bebop (I think they still show that occasionally on CN), and it might change your mind

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'm a marathoner myself,usually blocks of four,like a movie.I prefer to watch these latenight,with drinks and snacks,my own little lateshow .

10. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

11. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Japanese cartoons with english dubs are horrible! well there are a couple of exceptions, but that's true mostly. maybe you should try an ep or two with the subtitles instead.

I don't agree that Noir is too repetitive. maybe at the start of the series it is, but as it goes along it branches out.

and to answer the question, it's a mixed bag for me. i recently watched all of LOve Hina, (the series, the X-mas/Spring specials, and Love Hina Again) all in one sitting. so if i have the complete series on hand, I'll probably watch the whole thing in one sitting...if i have the time.

I've started renting anime from Zip.ca so lately I've been watching a disc or two at a time.

I will wath the Credits if the song or animation in it is really good, but sometimes I'll skip them during one of my marathons. Love Hina/Azumanga Daioh I watch the whole thing, including credits, because i love the theme songs and visuals for those shows.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm only 10 episodes in, but I'm really digging it. I've heard the "repetitive" knock, but I wonder if that arises from watching several episodes in a sitting rather than spacing them out (hence my reason for starting this thread).

Even if it is, you have to give a series time to develop. For example, I just re-watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, and really noticed how the first dozen or more episodes were little more than giant-robot-of-the-week episodes (yet there are subtle hints toward the overall nastiness that you don't pick up on the first time through). Yet as everyone knows, it seriously morphs into something very weird.

So far though, I'm definitely enjoying the escapades of Mireille and Kirika...and I'm dying to know more, because both of them are cold heartless killers. There's got to be a great story behind all of this (but please don't tell me yet!!)

13. maskull

don't worry. i won't give away the ending for you! :D
    there's a new series by the creators of noir called Madlax which looks fairly similar to Noir. I'm going to probably check that out soon as well. I sounds pretty damn cool.

14. KamuiX

I'll give away the ending...NOTHING HAPPENS!!! It's the most plodding anime series I've ever seen. Fantastic animation, and a few good episodes, but it's so uneventful that in the end, it doesn't amount to much. I was banging my head by episode 20 HOPING something good would happen, but nope. And I watched the series as it was being fansubbed, so I only watched one episode at a time as well. It just doesn't really go anywhere, sadly.

15. maskull

I actually bought the series. each Volume as it came out. I loved it. I guess some people will like it and some won't. I loved the atmosphere and pace of it.

16. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Depends. If you watch an episode a day that must mean you're buying the box sets or all the DVD's of a series? I usually watch the 3 or 4 episiodes whenever the next DVD comes out. However if I ever do buy a full set I'll watch 1 or 2 episodes a day.

And to the people who judge anime based on what you see on Cartoon Network, seriously, do not watch that. The dubbed and sometimes edited versions are so shoddy and actually pretty insulting to the diehard fans. Go rent the dvd's of Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, Hellsing or Berserk and I'm sure you're opinion will change.

17. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I watched Cowboy Bebop and it was ok but I would still rather watch Fat Albert or some other old Saturday morning cartoon show. I can't get into these Japanese cartoons either.

18. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I would like to add / emphasize that people start with the series first and NOT the movie...which, unfortunately, is the weakest episode, IMO. Cowboy Bebop seems to work better in the half hour format...rather than drawn-out and padded over a full-length feature.

Everything in Cowboy Bebop clicks: the great characters, music, humor, atmosphere, and action are there.....and along the way, some very touching statements on the human condition. One of the best series that I have ever seen.

19. maskull

yeah the movie, while enjoyable, doesn't hold a candle to the actual series. there was just too much padding added to stretch it into feature length.
    Cowboy Bebop is also one of the few anime shows that I like with the dubbing.

20. KamuiX

Glad I'm not the only one...I actually PREFER the dubbing on Bebop, and that's without question the ONLY series I've ever said that for :)