How do you watch your movies at home?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Mar 5, 2010.

?

How do you watch your movies at home?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2010.
  1. Rent digitally through Netflix, iTunes, etc.

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Rent by mail through Netflix, etc.

26 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Rent from a kiosk like Redbox

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Rent from a store like Blockbuster

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Torrents

7 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. I usually buy over renting

61 vote(s)
    54.5%
  7. I watch what I need on TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Home? The theater is my haven!

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

With Blockbuster's announcement that they are reinstating late fees, one has to wonder who actually still rents there enough to even care? It also begs the question...how DO you obtain the movies you watch at home? Rebox, Netflix, Torrent or are you a "buy over rent" guy? Let's hear it.

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I rent through Blockbuster's Netflix-esque type of mail deal. The only reason I chose Blockbuster over Netflix is that there is a store 5 minutes from my house. This allows me to take the movies I've gotten through the mail and exchange them for free in-store rentals. I use Blockbuster mail service to get the obscure random titles not usually found in stores, and use the store to exchange for new releases that typically have a wait of sorts through the mail. It works out perfectly. Once my store shuts down I will most likely migrate to Netflix. I only buy the DVD if it's something I already know I love, otherwise I will typically rent it first.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

As far as what I do the most I would probably say Netflix. They have always been great as far as selection and customer service in my experience - although I do buy a lot of movies and have over 50 movie channels like showtime and encore on my fios subscription too <:

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I haven't rented in ages, the only time I do is when I get a free rental coupon. I usually buy since I know what I'll like and most of what I do want to see I can't find in any local stores, so I'd have to order it online anyway. So it's buy or go the the theatre for me.

5. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Ever since getting a Roku box I've been using Netflix's instant streaming feature for a lot of my movies and all of my tv shows. I still keep a two-at-a-time DVD membership for stuff that isn't available through the instant streaming. I buy stuff on VHS that isn't available on DVD and torrent most stuff that comes out in the theaters.
    I don't spend much money on movies but watch a TON so it works out pretty well :)

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, when I rent movies it's usually at a local mom and pop convenience store, one of the few seemingly in existence! Aside from making the switch from VHS to DVD about 5 or 6 years ago they haven't changed since the 80s. They only charge $2/2 days. Aside from that I either borrow from friends or family or go to the library. None of those three options are made available on the poll. I've cut way down on buying movies in the past year or so. I'm running out of room to store them all.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

We need an 'all of the above' option. It just depends on what I feel like watching and then how is the best way to make that happen. I have a huge collection of dvds and my blu stack is getting mighty high too, but I'm still constantly watching shit on cable, downloading torrents, sometimes renting, and lots of free rents from the library.

The last few weeks I've been in the mood for shitty sequels that are long OOP, so the torrents have been my best friend (Fright Night 2, Freeway 2). Nero is my second best friend, esp. since I can burn WS files anamorphic.:D My Freeway 2 is probably just as good as the real dvd, just no production notes or trailer. My Fright Night 2 might be better from the reviews I've read, although it's probably identical, made from teh same VHS print/master.:rolleyes:

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I rent from a store, but it's not crappy like Blockbuster. Here in Seattle we have Scarecrow Video which has over 100,000 titles to rent including out of print DVDs, other region DVDs, VHS, and Laserdiscs. That's where I get my movie fix.

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I typically buy movies. For those movies that aren't worth buying I'll DVR them from HBO or skip 'em.

10. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Scarecrow is incredible. When I lived in LA I used to rent from Vidiots and Lazer Blazer. Here in Denver we had a great video store with Video One but they moved to a MUCH smaller location and sadly scaled down their selection to almost nothing.

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I usually just buy whatever interests me. Haven't really been let down yet, and if the movie does suck I can probably sell it for close to the amount I paid as I usually buy during sales or used.

12. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I selected the "buy" choice, since I don't rent anything at all (and the majority of what I download from torrents are custom subbed jobs, so I couldn't buy them if I wanted to), but right now 90% of what I'm able to watch is stuff I get sent screeners of for review. I don't buy nearly as much anymore because that stuff takes priority, so a lot of times what I buy will sit on a shelf for months before I get around to it, so what's the point? Unless it's something I HAVE to see ASAP, I generally don't buy it until I experience a lull in screeners.

13. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I chose "I usually buy over renting" because I buy a lot of movies but, truthfully, it's a pretty steady combination of just about everything. I work at a movie theatre so I usually watch a movie or two there every week. For anything I miss (or things we didn't get at work), I have a Netflix account, along with the Instant Streaming disc for my PS3. If those fail me (usually due to long Netflix queue waits), I have all of the premium HD movie channels, along with MGM HD and HD Net Movies (which gets a lot of great Magnolia / Magnet sneak peaks). And, every once in a while, I'll order a VOD title from On Demand, if I really want to see it.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I usually buy over renting, though I do a lot less "blind buying" than I used to. Also rent free movies at the library too.

15. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I did not expect "I usually buy over renting" to be so overwhelmingly popular. I guess I just assumed most film enthusiasts these days were using Netflix or torrents. It's good to see I'm not alone.

16. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Like the masses I buy most of my stuff

17. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I use the public library for most of the movies I do not buy. I send away a lot to other libraries through the interloan. A lot of libraries have old VHS tapes that were probably donated from closing stores.

As bad as it is, I surprised to find the piece -of -trash movie "Victims" released in the 80s on Simitar Video and sent for it. I made a copy of it.

I also buy a lot of DVDs too.

18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it, I download tons of films. Mind you, I am in Toronto which means the Toronto International Film Fest and After Dark. Between these two fests, we see a boatload of films. So in the end, we do pump a lot of money into watching films. In these cases, the money goes to the festivals as opposed to the directors/producers. But then, their films get hyped by people like me when I come on here and tell everyone of an awesome new film I saw called Haute Tension, L'Interiere, or Let the Right One In. That is what these fests are for, anyway. I'll get back to building a legit collection again when the time is right. As for renting, meh, I own therefore I am. All or nothing, baby, that's the way I play.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

what with the ridiculous prices of a rental around these parts, i buy or download everything. I'm definitely a collector, and love having an extensive library of films. even stuff i haven't watched in years, i'd still never give up. i figure any advantage the studios might make on me buying their stuff over renting, i make up for in torrents. anything im mildly interested in, which is mostly the newer stuff, i just download, watch it once, and then delete.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I use to buy, acquiring quite a large collection. But I have since come to my senses and have scaled back my purchases. Even if I watch a new movie every night, I'm years away from finishing what I've already bought. I'm considering Netflix online and running that off of my PS3. That way I can keep up with new movies without purchasing them anymore, and only pay $9 a month to boot.

I only buy key movies now. I do try to watch a new movie every evening, so I'm working through it all. I guess I'll put "I usually buy over renting" because I'm still watching things I've bought.