How many DVDs did you replace with Blu-rays?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Hellbilly, Jul 2, 2010.

?

how many?

1. None

9.8%
  2. 5+

14.6%
  3. 15+

17.1%
  4. 25+

7.3%
  5. 35+

9.8%
  6. 45+

4.9%
  7. 55+

36.6%
  8. None of your business (All)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've picked up 7 UHD titles so far, and just like you I can't watch them since I haven't yet upgraded to a 4K TV. I bought them only because I was going to buy the Blu-ray anyway and wanted to at least be ready for the future at this point. I remember buying some DVD's in the early days of Blu-ray and just upgrading them later, so I'd rather not go that route again if a UHD titles gets solid reviews over the Blu-ray edition.

buck135 likes this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I do the same thing. When I'm planning on buying the blu anyway I read reviews to see if there is a decent upgrade with the 4K release. Generally the price is nearly the same and in a couple of cases it was actually cheaper to buy the 4K version (which typically comes with a blu-ray also). I've got an Xbox One for the player and hopefully by end of year will pick up a 65" TV.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

You guys won't regret it. When done right, current films such as The Revanent and The Shallows as well as classic films such as The Fifth Element and Blade Runner (according to bluray.com) are stunning.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I just don't think I'll ever have the space for a TV that could adequately display the benefits of 4k, so blu-ray is basically where I'm calling it quits. If I'm forced to start buying the format for new releases because blu-ray ceases to be and 4k blu-ray becomes the norm, then so be it. I won't be mad about that, but I won't be wholesale upgrading my collection like I did from VHS to DVD and DVD to blu-ray. If an improved version of an older film (restored from original negative when the blu-ray wasn't, uncut, very appealing extras, etc) that I really like is released only on 4k, that's really the only way I see me upgrading blu-ray titles going forward.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My 4K tv is 55" and the difference is staggering. Again, it depends on what you are watching. The Suicide Squad UHD isn't significantly superior to the blu-ray, but The Revanant certainly is. I go by reviews for UHD blu-ray's to determine if an upgrade is worthy. Based on bluray.com, the Blade Runner UHD is a must buy.

russweiss likes this.
  6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I used to have a 55", but it busted when I moved back from Denver. We currently have a 43". If we get this new house we're looking at, we could likely upgrade to a 50", but again, probably just regular 1080p (I find it hilarious that I'm referencing 1080p as the bare minimum now. Oh how times have changed). I'm not negating the improvements, I just think, with living in skinny row homes in Baltimore City, I'm never going to get a large enough TV to see the benefits of 4k that I would be able to view at the appropriate distance from the screen. Of course, if prices eventually drop low enough, as they eventually did with blu-ray, I may see myself occasionally upgrading my absolute favorite films.

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

If I wanted a 4K TV, what size do I need to really appreciate a 4K disc?

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Like I said, my 55" is stunning. I wouldn't really recommend anything below 50". Anything 60" and above would be ideal. If you haven't seen the difference yet, I recommend checking out a demo model at Best Buy, Sears, etc. 4K is really quite amazing.

Angelman likes this.
  9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Just like any TV/format, it's not just the size of the TV that will make a difference, but more importantly your viewing distance and your quality of vision. There's plenty of guides/calculators out there to figure out what you'd need in your home set-up to get the benefits of any TV (be it SD, HD, or UHD). Good article with chart and calculator here: http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

Angelman likes this.
  10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This is basically my concern. It looks like any room in our new house will basically max out at 6 ft viewing distance, so if I ever did go 4k, 50" would be my ideal size. My 1080p set is 43", so that is just about right given our viewing distance.