Humongous 1982 Horror Film Any Good?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

2. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i have seen this, but it's WAY too dark

this needs to be cleaned up, put out in the OAR and then seen, so it can be rightly judged

3. Stige

Stige Active Member

hmm canæt get these to open here
    I too would love a dvd of this , with the right table top dvd recorder you can brighten the image some

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

What do I click on once I get to this page? I don't speak German, and it seems like every link just goes to more literature.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Weird, the pictures won't show anymore when linking direct. Just click on the big fat

schnittberichte.com

logo, scroll down a bit and click "Humongous". Then you should be able to see it.

6. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

I enjoyed Humongous very much!! I own the Embassy VHS Tape in my collection!! I remember searching for this for years and years and I finally found it at a Used Video Shop in Sunrise FL. I wanted it because I really love Prom Night so much and I wanted to see what the next Horror Slasher Movie Paul Lynch directed would be like. I like the lead actress quite alot, she reminds me of Ali MacGraw for some reason, Very Cute Girl!! There are some Creepy Scenes through out the Movie as well!! I want to see this one again after talking about it!!:cool:

7. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

The last time that I saw Humongous was shortly after it's release. It was average, but I would certainly add it to my slasher collection if released on DVD.

8. Mutilated Prey

Ah yes, now I see it - thanks.

WTF - why can't it be easier to obtain this version? Get that shit to DVD uncut and cleaned up toute suite.

9. AndresG

AndresG Member

gotta revisit my vhs transfer this week and post my impressions here, I don't really recall a lot from this flick to be honest...

10. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I liked the way it started out, really campy and spooky, the rest is filmed darkly, maybe a hi def transfer would make it easier on the eyes.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Janit Baldwin,who starred in the drive-in horror favorite RUBY and who was in PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE is in this.She's a popular clothing designer nowadays and still looks pretty much the same.Haven't seen it in ages,caught it on Cinemax years ago,remember it as so so.Still,I'd be happy to see a cleaned up widescreen print sometime.I'm sure I would like it more in it's proper ratio.

12. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

This is another one I gotta see

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

So, I recently saw this film again. I honestly didn't even remember seeing it before under the title Humongous. But I definitely do recall certain scenes and indeed having seen the film at least 20+ years ago. Some of the scenes actually stuck in my head...and I'd been dying to remember which movie they were from. This is one mystery solved at least!

How long is the uncut version? I watched a PAL version that runs right at 90 minutes.

And why the hell hasn't anyone released it on DVD yet? Man, this thread dates back 5+ years!

14. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Yes, this movie NEEDS a DVD release. I bought the VHS copy from my local video store when it was going out of business and I swear the picture just gets darker and darker each year. Soon the whole thing will be completely blacked right out.

15. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I was disappointed in this one. Really wanted to like it too, after I read the synopsis.

16. Franco

Franco Weekender

What's the probability of this title being released in 2011? Anyone knows if some company is working on it already?

17. Mutilated Prey

I'm not so sure the "uncut" version times out any longer - maybe 1 minute. Apparently, the only footage cut is the rape scene - it's like 45 seconds longer uncut. I recall seeing this on HBO years ago, VHS taped it, and did realize when I watched my bought VHS tape of it many years later that scene seemed to be missing a chunk. If your copy goes from "oh you're gonna feel something now" right to the dogs jumping over the fence and killing the rapist then you've got the cut version. My soft clamshell Embassy NTSC VHS times out at 1:32:20. The missing scenes are just some POV's of the woman while she's getting raped and after the dogs attack the rapist his ankle is shown pretty narled up.

Cinemageddon has the uncut version here:
    http://cinemageddon.net/details.php?id=40359

This flick is great, not perfect by any means, but has the perfect creepiness and atmosphere. DVD release is way overdue.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Humongous is a really fun slasher flick, I'd love to get a DVD release!

I own the Embassy VHS, not sure about the exact runtime without plugging it in, but the back of the case says 93 minutes.

Then I have a video file I found online of the uncut opening scene. The file runs 5:15, beginning when the man approaches the woman by the dog pen and ending with the close-up of her eyes after she kills him.

19. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Humongous is actually one of my favorite slasher films of all time. I think it's fun and has some great characters! I love all of them! It's just so atmospheric. I like Prom Night, but Humongous is a step up for sure for the director.

20. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Humongous is a pretty decent slasher, but it suffers from a lot of dark and murky scenes where it's difficult to make out what's going on. I don't know if this is because of the quality of the existing prints or if the film was originally shot like that. Unfortunately the killer isn't quite as menacing as he could be and when you finally DO see him, it's a little less than spectacular. Still some great scenes though and I'd love to see this film get a proper release.