Humongous 1982 Horror Film Any Good?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Not sure if this is fact but I got the impression that Hatchet (2006) was stronger influenced by Humongous than Madman.

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Wasn't Code Red, at one time, throwing around Humongous for a possible DVD release?

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

This is a movie that really needs a restoration. I've seen it but I don't think I can properly comment on its merits because the second half is so dark it's really tough to make anything out, let alone the film's quality. Good concept, though, but does definitely take awhile to get going.

4. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Nope.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's the version I watched, so 'twas uncut.

I also really loved the electronic score used in the film. It had that 70's/80's old school synth that's tough to find being utlized nowadays.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

was this ever released on dvd anywhere in the world?

7. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I think this is actually one of my favorite slashers, I love the atmosphere and setting quite a bit.

Cold Prey pretty much seems like a phenomenal remake of this movie in terms of atmosphere and the general "feeling" you get from the movie.

8. Justin Kerswell

Justin Kerswell New Member

Here's a few images from my collection:

Some rare promo art (note the alternative spelling):

[​IMG]

A still of Janet Julian being menaced!:

[​IMG]

A still from the film's fiery climax!:

[​IMG]

9. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Watched Humongous again last night...

Iam satisfied with this dvd,, I like the transfer and its uncut.. Man, they really hacked that rape scene in the R rated version... But still like this movie. good score. creepy atmosphere.. And beleive this or not.. I really felt bad for the monster. The fact that his mom died and left him on that island. all deformed and hungry. I dont think he was a bad guy its just he was scared and hungry. who can blame him..

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Finally got around to seeing this recently and I liked it. It's not a great slasher film, but I liked the story and the isolated island setting was effective. It's also one of the few slashers I can think of where the motivation was not revenge, the monster was just trying to survive. The DVD from Scorpion looks great and features a very entertaining commentary with the director and writer.

11. ronnie21

I agree... i thought the mom ida was mean to begin with.. her being raped made her even meaner. so i wonder how she treated her son through the years.. gotta wonder...

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Got the DVD a few days ago and watched this last night. I liked it, but didn't love it. The acting was pretty decent and the island location was creepy. It kinda drags a bit in the middle and even though it's not that gory, I felt it was much better than Antropophagus. However, the scene where she acted like Jr.'s mom really felt like they lifted it from Friday 2.

13. ronnie21

it could have been. cause humongous was lensed between septmeber and august of 1981.. Friday the 13th part 2 came out around May of 81.. so that was enough time to steal such an idea... .so someone or one of the writers could have seen part 2 and got the idea..

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    There are times (many) when I see Jordana Brewster I think of Janet Julian. I'd love to see Jordana in a remake of HUMONGOUS...;)

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Humongous came out June 11, 1982. If someone saw Friday The 13th 2 I donĀ“t believe they would have enough time to copy because both releases premiered about 40 days apart... even for such a low budget movie, 40 days is too little time to alter something, let alone shoot new stuff.

16. ronnie21

demon, sure they would. friday 2 came out in may of 1981... humogous was filmed in august/sept of 1981.. that would have been plenty of time... the shoot was probalay only a month.. So yeah.. it could have happened. Remember, both movies came out in diffrent years.

17. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

As much as slasher flicks warm our hearts. It's safe to say when you really think about it. That the majority of slasher films pretty much rip each other off. The only flicks that tried desperately to be original were the Elm St films. The rest where all the same old shit someone with a knife killing people.

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I just watched Just Before Dawn yesterday, I thought that one was pretty unique and decent. I'm not crazy about the slasher genre, but that one even one upped Hills Have Eyes for me.
    I like the staples such as Psycho, Black Christmas, Halloween, Elm St., and a couple others. However, stuff like The Mutilator and He Knows You're Alone bores me to tears now, though I thought they were ok as a kid.