i finally saw Audition (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by DefJeff, Dec 27, 2002.

1. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

i alost shit my pants when the main guy was gonna open up that bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this movie was awesome, but it totally lost me

can someone explain to me what happens after the main character wakes up and finds the girl gone? is that all a dream or what? i was totally lost after that part. i understand the events that went on, but was any of it a dream or what? i didnt understand the ending or anything. and im sure id appreciate this movie even more if i understood the 2nd half of it, haha

2. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

When Aoyama wakes up and finds Asami gone, he goes to see his producer friend and asks for help in tracking her down--that happened. He also went to the neighborhood where the bar Asami claimed to work at was located and asked around about her, though he didn't really see a tongue flapping around on the floor. Back at his house, right after he's drugged he has flashbacks of his dates with Asami where she tells different versions of her life story in which instead of claiming to have a happy family, she tells Aoyama all about the abuse she's endured. Those never happened. Back to reality, he falls to the ground paralyzed and Asami starts to torture him until his son comes home and Asami eventually breaks her neck falling down the stairs--that happened.

If you have the U.S. DVD, listen to Takashi Miike's commentary (which only begins on chapter 18) and he tells which parts of the final act of Audition are dream and which really happened.

It's an amazing movie. The Japanese are kicking everyone's ass in movies these days. The Spanish aren't far behind, though.

3. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

ay yi yi! i gotta listen to this commentary

thanks for your help buddy!!

4. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I loved Audition, but also had a few questions about it. I'll have to rewatch it with the commentary soon to clear up any questions I have.

5. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

The stuff with the wire... so intense!!!

Nick

6. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

I watched it again today, definitely one of my all time favorite movies now. That actress who played Asami was hella cute, though, even if she does some fucked up stuff in the movie. :D

7. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I can't say I'm a fan.

8. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Depends on what Miike interview you want to believe. His early comments on the film was that there was no definative, correct answer to the conclusion and that it is simply left up to the viewer to decide what happens. Simply one of the best and most instensly beautiful films I have seen.

9. jeffschmidt

jeffschmidt Guest

Yes! My wife almost gets sick if I even mention that scene :D

10. Wermode

Wermode New Member

Gotta love Audition. The way Miike plays with the genre and the audience...he breaks all the rules so artfully that he makes American directors look like paint-by-numbers formula artists.

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Agreed, this film is great and highly recommended.
    Too bad the US disc ain't 16:9 enhanced tho.