"I Got the Blus" Contest

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Sep 16, 2009.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Want a chance to add to your growing Blu-ray collection? Fox has given us multiple Blu-rays of their recent releases like CHILD'S PLAY, MISERY, WRONG TURN and WRONG TURN 2. If you want 'em, you've gotta tell us what your first Blu-ray disc was, and when you finally made the switch
    [​IMG]

Want a chance to add to your growing Blu-ray collection? Fox has given us multiple Blu-rays of their recent releases like CHILD'S PLAY, MISERY, WRONG TURN and WRONG TURN 2. If you want 'em, you've gotta tell us what your first Blu-ray disc was, and when you finally made the switch. The contest will run until Tuesday, September 22nd at which point three lucky winners will be drawn.

Each winner will take home one copy of the following four Blu-rays:
    • CHILD'S PLAY
    • MISERY
    • WRONG TURN
    • WRONG TURN 2

Far from child's play, it's the right turn to ensure you avoid the misery of having a lackluster Blu-ray collection! Zing!

Not included, but also released this week from Fox is the HANNIBAL LECTER ANTHOLOGY featuring MANHUNTER, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and HANNIBAL.

That's some serious loot we're giving away, so be sure to post a single response in this thread telling us what your first Blu-ray disc was, and when you finally made the switch.

Me? I waited until the format war ended and bought both dual-format set top and ROM drives to take advantage of all the cheap HD-DVD clearances. It was August 2008, and after getting a bunch of HD-DVDs the first Blu I got was the Canuck only release of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.

You haven't made the switch yet? Don't worry, if you still want to enter just tell us when you plan on making the switch and what you'd like to buy as your first Blu-ray title.

Now tell us your story and be entered to win!

Attached Files:

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I bought my first two Blu-ray discs at the same time, and even before I had a Blu-ray player. It was Boxing Day (Canadian shopping holiday, much like Black Friday). Picked up House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects for $15 each. Later that same day my roommate and I picked up a new 46" 1080P HD LCD TV (Sony Bravia) and a PS3 during Boxing Day deals, so the switch to Blu-ray was complete.

Still need to invest in a surround sound system though...

3. Jason101

Jason101 New Member

I officially made the switch to Blu-ray when the format war ended. It was also unexpected because I just received a PS3 for Christmas last year, and since then I have been buying Blu-ray discs. The first Blu-rays I bought were both Saw IV and The Descent. Saw IV was the first one I played in my PS3, followed by The Descent.

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I haven't made the switch yet and don't have plans to until I have a lot of money to waste on an HDTV and Blu-ray player. The biggest thing I'm interested in on Blu discs are exclusive bonus features that aren't on DVD. So the first disc I would buy would be The Road Warrior for the exclusive George Miller commentary.

5. meljon

meljon New Member

I got a Playstation 3 for Christmas of 2007. My first four movies were The Fly, Hills Have Eyes 2, 28 Days Later, and 28 Weeks Later. Since then I have tried to buy every horror movie that has come out, but I'm not rich.

6. marcx

marcx New Member

Hmmm..let's see I started as an HD-DVD supporter, and then added blu to become dual format...I believe my first blu outside of the ones that came with the player was the prestige!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I recently went Blu for a storm of factors. A few I can vividly recall:

Getting an HD TV last summer.

Watchmen BD, the interactive feature looks cool as hell. This teamed with a few other recent BD's with exclusive extras made me think it's time. Of course my dumbass bought the dvd anyway as I thought I'd hold out longer or skip format.

Players under $200. Even though I went cheap and don't have BD-Live or region freeness.

Up-converting of my normal dvds.

Library. It mostly started with the new Friday the 13th. Didn't want to buy it, but wanted to see the new cut. Library only has the R-version on dvd, but the Killer Cut on BD. This is also true for almost anything recent that had an unrated and rated dvd.

Wait list at library. Everyone knows to get their dvds there now, so wait lists are long as fuck for newer shit. Not many have Blu around here, so I get new shit quick and usually can re-new to my heart's content. So far only one Blu out of dozens has went back without the opition to re-new (you can't re-new if anyone else requests the title, putting them on the wait list).

Tired of the HBO and Showtime HD channels cropping everything to 1.78. It looks pretty, but I can't stand watching in wrong AR. Every once in a while a 2.35 film will be in 2.35, but 9 out of 10 have been cropped to 1.78. BD is HD and OAR! (why is Traitor dvd 1.78 and the BD 2.35? When I watched the dvd recently I could tell it was cropped, and I had never seen it before). Now when I see this I request the BD from library.

Disc prices getting more reasonable.

Night of the Creeps announced!

As for first Blu bought, I just grabbed some used stuff at FYE. Hostel 2, The Ruins, National Treasure 2 and Hitman on a buy 3 get one free. Turned out to be a but under $10 each, which sounded great compared to sticker price on the new ones. Mostly I've been getting tall stacks of BD's from library to watch, until I can find some favorites on sale cheap. Haven't bought anything new on release week yet.

8. unstoppable

unstoppable Guest

I actually made the switch pretty early. I bought a PS3 and just figured since I had a player to pick up a disk.

The first movie I bought that sealed the deal is, Pirates of the Carribbean-At Worlds End. My wife made me buy it for her. She was right though, the picture and sound are remarkable.

Now if I can just finish my Friday the 13th blu collection.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I bought Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest It was my first a few months ago.

10. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

I bought a Blu of Halloween a year or so back. Then grabbed a copy of 300 a week later at a used shop. I actually do not even own a blu-ray player as of yet. So, I am slowly amassing a collection of blu-ray movies that I cant even play. I will eventually get a blu player soon, as I just got a new 65" HD television. This is the same MO that I did when I started to switch from VHS to DVD. (Bought John Carpenter's The Thing for a whopping $35 before ever owning a DVD player.)

11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I haven't made the switch yet, but I plan on doing so as soon as region free players become available and affordable where I live. I have already bought a few blu-rays in anticipation of this. My first one was Halloween, and Black Christmas, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dead & Buried, and Friday the 13th Part 2 soon followed, so I have great motivation for upgrading! :)

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I finally made the switch this year. I bought me a Full HD LCD in August and a Blu-ray player in September. My first Blu's:

The Last House on the Left (2009)
    Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
    Mutant Chronicles
    Coraline
    Splinter
    Starship Troopers Trilogy
    The Grudge (2004)

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

My favorite Blu-ray thus far is Cool Hand Luke. It was one of the first I watched after going Blu just under a year ago. I think Black Christmas was the first Blu I got/watched, but Luke was such a great film and the heat felt by the chain gang permeated through my room when watching them sweat in HD.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

the format war had finally ended, and i had been waiting for profile 2.0 players to be released. after they were, reviews seemed to indicate that, at the time, those available were pretty good...but still not as good as the PS3. so i picked one up.

i bought several blus on the same day, but they were from different stores. at the first store, the titles i bought were the Batman Begins gift set, and The Ruins. Later that day i picked up Shooter, all the Rambo films, and The Searchers.

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Woah! Awesome contest, maybe your best yet!?

I plan on getting a PS3 very soon, but I have been buying Blus for over a year now since my roomate keeps his PS3 in the living room. The first Blus I bought were Pirates 1 and 2 as I got them pretty cheap used (sadly I haven't got around to watching them yet!). The first Blu Rays I watched though were The Prestige and Apocalypto which I got the same week I believe. They both looked incredible and I have never looked back (Now having over 100 discs).

16. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

no switch yet, but am leaning more and more towards it. I would only upgrade those that I hold in highest esteem for my collection and I would be happy with the numerous regular DVDs that I have (and possibly upgrade those as blu prices fall). I will probably switch by this time next year...no rush for me, but something I will eventually do. I am getting tired of the blu having better special features than the regular DVD...

First up would be.......Friday the 13th (original)

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Oh, and any reviews coming up for those Blu Rays? I have been thinking of grabbing them but I want to see if they include ALL (yes, even the still galleries) the extras from the previous DVDs?

18. adric

adric New Member

I made the switch in June of this year finally. i bought a PS3 in order to play MGS4 and switch to blu ray since my entire dvd collection got stolen. My first Blu was Robocop Unrated.

19. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I made the switch to Hi-Def in December of 2007. Best Buy was running a great financing deal where you had three years to pay off your bill, interest free. On top of that, the plasma TV that I wanted was $300 off and came with a free Blu-ray player (both the TV and BD player were Panasonic). Although I had initially planned on waiting for the format war to end, a free player was a pretty good incentive to go Blu and I'm glad I did. The first BDs that I bought were The Road Warrior and Halloween but the first BD I ever watched was Flags of Our Fathers (which I rented from Netflix). I still remember how gorgeous that movie looked when I popped it in. But, even more stunning (to me, anyway) was The Road Warrior. The only DVD still available is going on 12 years old at this point and looks just okay. The Blu-ray, however is amazing. I've never seen the movie look this good. Halloween looks amazing too but Anchor Bay had already released numerous good-looking editions of the film. So, even though the BD beat all of them, the difference wasn't as staggering as The Road Warrior. I started small but my collection has grown well over 200 discs by this point and continues to grow. I'm still amazed that after 8 years of devoting my money to DVD that I was able to basically abandon it. I still buy the occasional DVD here and there (I think I've bought 2 or 3 all year) and I still watch a lot (I have a lot of unwatched DVDs). But, that's the Power of Blu; once you go Blu, you'll never go back ... well, unless you're cheap or you've deluded yourself into believing that upconverted DVD "looks just as good as Blu-ray" (it doesn't).

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yikes!