"I Got the Blus" Contest

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Sep 16, 2009.

1. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I haven't made the switch yet either. I have no idea what my first purchase would be - but probably something new and tempting that I don't already own, and that is visually spectacular (maybe along the lines of Inception or something...).

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I made the switch two Christmas' ago with no regrets. It was a "two birds with one stone" victory by skipping PS2 and holding out for the PS3 - well worth the wait!

I got 3 Blus to kick off my collection - Halloween, Day of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead (original). They were part of an Amazon sale and I couldn't resist!

Choice contest rhett and it has at least 2 Blu's I've been dying to get. The other 2 are great two :)

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I actually was backing HD-DVD at first and had an add-on HD-DVD drive with my Xbox 360. I could kinda tell early when it was gonna turn blu's way so I sold all my HD-DVD stuff for near full price and bought a PS3 and replaced my HD-DVD with Blu-ray movies which I think was around late October or early November of 2007. Sure enough it was about a month or two later that the nail in HD-DVD's coffin came. I actually first purchased two Blu-Ray movies, one I knew me and my son could watch together (Hellboy) and the other one I had previously wanted on HD-DVD but was only available on Blu-Ray unless you got an imported HD-DVD (one thing I liked about HD-DVD was it being region free) and that movie was Underworld.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

if i ever switch over to Blu-ray i would get Halloween first, then Texas Chainsaw Massacre

5. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

yayy!! I was thinking "rhett is a digital racist..." (if there's such thing) until I read people who lives in caverns can still participate. Since my country recently decided which hd norm to adopt (japanese), I'll wait until the bargains come, from HD tv's in clearance (mostly ATSC) or new tv's from japan itself. Of course if I get a job first. Then I'd buy a PS3 to play blus and then my first BD movie would be Hellraiser, because I want an excuse to own the new box which I think rocks (not content-wise though). Other ones would be Halloween and Black Christmas...my fav. movies of all time.

6. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I just made the switch to blu ray about a month ago. I got a magnavox 530 at wal mart for $98, so the price was right and I decided to get it. So far it's been a good player. I was somewhat concerned about the low price, but it seems well made. The first blu ray disc I got was A Clockwork Orange, it was on sale for $14.99 at best buy. I have a small but growing blu ray collection now :)

7. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

First disc I got was Assault on Precinct 13, and that was sometime early this year. March I think. Anyway, well worth the upgrade.

8. Christ75

Christ75 New Member

I buy my Blu-ray player (Sony 350) in november 2008, after the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray war ended.
    My first Blu-ray disc was the Blade Runner 5-Disc Collector's Edition.

(the second and third was the 2-pack AVP Box Set (found in a second hand store for only 18$) and Prison Break season 3).

9. AndresG

AndresG Member

Well, I made the switch over 8 months ago but haven't really purchased a lot of BD's as I know the prices will eventually drop like a rock. My first BD was The Descent and I wouldn't really call this a "switch to Blu-ray" as I still buy and collect DVD's avidly.

10. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

My first Blu-Ray I ever purchases was Dawn of the Dead. Sure, I had the movie twice on DVD already but if there was any flick I wanted to give a shot on Blu, it was this one.

As far as switching over to the Blu side, I purchased a PS3 in January 2008. I already had the surround sound and 1080p TV before I got my PS3, and I had to buy one to seal the deal for my home theater.

11. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Member

My first Blu Ray purchase was for The Shining, I just started buying them this year. My wife and I watched it , and it looks better than it ever did. I would definitely buy more Blu discs if they would just drop the prices.

12. TheShape

TheShape Member

I bought a PS3 in october 2007. There was an offer to get 4 blu-rays for free (by mail) when you bought an elligible player (the PS3 was among them). The choice was very limited but it was free so what the hell... So, my first 4 discs were: Flight of the Phoenix, Superman: The Movie, The Patriot and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. I bought the suitcase edition of Blade Runner a few months later.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  13. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I bought my blu ray player just after Christmas of 2007, along with my first disc The Last Samurai.

14. warmapplecider

warmapplecider New Member

Bought a dual format player thinking it would be the best solution during the format war, and then two weeks later Toshiba gave up the HDDVD ghost--just my luck. My first Blu-ray purchase was the anime "Paprika".

15. deepred

deepred Member

summer '09

I made the switch this summer. My first blu-ray was Coraline 3-D. :D

16. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I got a PS3 for the specific purpose of Blu-ray back on Christmas Eve '07. My first Blu-ray was Sunshine, which I bought the following month.

17. My first Blu-Ray disc was: Ivan Reitman's Ghostbusters (1984), bought online directly from Amazon, August 28th was it's arrival date (just checked my past e-mails to make sure) and it came here then. So you can count my goin' Blu phase as then. It's one of my most favorite movies of all time.

My system: However, I got my Sony BDVE300 5.1-Channel High-Definition Blu-ray Disc Player & DVD Disc home theater System (Black color) less then two weeks prior, though. Hope that narrows it down and helps. :)

The image quality on my main television set is phenomenal most of the time, and the sound is an improvement over standard def DVD much more then half the time. I'm very glad this improvement came along.

And my latest buy's from Amazon are:

Romero's Day of the Dead.

Romero & King's Creepshow.

Rodriguez & Tarrantino's From Dusk Till Dawn.

RoboCop (indeed a bit towards the grainy, but again, it's how Verhooven shot it)

Ghostbusters (My first Blu-Ray, as I stated. I've heard complaints and there chould have been more newer special features, but again, a wonderful improvement over my DVD set, and I don't mind the mild grain. Look's great in many places and sounds fine!)

The Dark Knight (aside from a fine film I also feel it's a fine 'showing off your system' disc. And yet I've heard some complaints, but I don't know why *shrugs*)

True Blood: Complete First Season (look's great as well as being the fine first part of a cult classic in the making HBO series. I have Season 2, which just had it's Season Finale this past Sunday, pre-ordered).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
  18. allenb

allenb New Member

I stood in line for 3 days for the ps3 60gb when they first where released. It came with talledega nights, my first blu purchase was resident evil apocalypse & 50 first dates. I've been a supporting member ever since.

19. KappaMoth

KappaMoth Guest

Got my ps3 back when they were running that $100 off promo last October/November. First blu-ray I got was Speed Racer - I figured, if anything would look better in high def it would be the mind numbing colors and CGI of Speed. It was, indeed, quite impressive. Followed that up with Dawn of the Dead which looked so much better than the old taped copy we had that it was like watching a different movie.

20. blu

blu New Member

I bought my first Blu-ray, Underworld: Evolution in the beginning of the format, June 2006. I had sold off my DVDs in anticipation of buying my favorite movies again in high def and haven't looked back.