I need some good Asian horror recommendations

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by The Joker, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Not necessarily "Asian horror" but Takashi Miike's Masters of Horror episode Imprint is nothing short of amazing.

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Audition definitely, and also Evil Dead Trap is entertaining.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

If you want something a bit weirder, I highly recommend Shin'ya Tsukamato. A chunk of his stuff is "work for hire" projects that may only be moderately interesting at best. But, The Tetsuo films and Snake of June are excellent art-house sci-fi/horror hybrids. Tetsuo: The Iron Man in particular had a huge influence on Aronofsky's "Pi". I wouldn't say they are a good place to start. But, I'd definitely suggest giving them a try once you get tired of wet-haired girls.

And additional high praise for the others that most of the group seems pretty unified on. Tale of Two Sisters, Ring, Audition, Evil Dead Trap, Kairo. Maybe add in Suicide Club.

And, while it's more of a martial arts fantasy, I highly highly recommend Chinese Ghost Story, particularly if you like Sam Raimi's films. It has that same kind of infectious charm and gonzo creativity.

4. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

You mean Ju-on: The Curse 2? That was the 4th one I saw in the series and by then I think I was pretty Ju-on'd out.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If you like home invasion movies, you'll never find one more brutal than the Hong Kong film Dream Home.

Also, if you like slashers or other movies that feature "creative kills", this one takes the cake. If you can name another film featuring
    the killer battling a naked woman with a 3 foot plank of wood jutting out of her face
    I'd like to know the title.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I think pretty much every good Japanese horror has an American remake. And only The Ring remake is as good as the Japanese original. The ones mentioned here are worth checking out though. All of them give you that unsettling feeling at the end.

7. ralfy

ralfy New Member

Also, Ugetsu and Rites of May.